2 man 4 season tent recommendation

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
I ended up finding a Kuiu Storm Star on Ebay new without a box for $500. Got it bought. I set it up with the sprinkler on it for a couple hours, then sprayed it with the hose for about 20 minutes trying to make a seam leak. It handled all that and stayed dry. Being an Ebay deal I wanted to test it as best I could. It seems to be as advertised.

Thanks for all the replies.

Mannsbuick

Lil-Rokslider
Was it made in China? You probably could have picked up a Hilleberg “Tarra” model used for about $750-850, they are frickin bombproof!!!!! Did I say bombproof lol They are used in the arctic and Alaska by sof as they can withstand the high winds and snow load! **you can even pitch the “inner tent” for nice summer weather when there is no rain, it breaths really well and is a castle for 1 😎💪

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
I didn’t look where it was made. I know Hilleberg is great, but this should get me by. It fits a niche I was missing with my other shelters a 10lb shelter would not. If I lived in AK I’d probably feel different.

Glad you found a good shelter. Hope you smack a good one while you're up there. Ive just recently picked up a seek outside 6 man. For how big it is, its pretty light! I would say one drawback would be the footprint it has is going to limit the areas I can pitch it.

Sneaky223

FNG
I have the Kuiu storm star also and had it out in some killer winds in the woods at about 25 degrees. No precipitation. It did well, the material seemed really thin to me as I'm not use to that but the rip stop material claims to be really strong. Congratulations!

Attachments

• 20220114_125908_copy_2029x913.jpg
    20220114_125908_copy_2029x913.jpg
    465.1 KB · Views: 55
I have an older Marmot Citadel. Great tent if you can find one used. A little heavy but have spent many nights above tree line in all seasons with no issues. Liked the 3 person one so much I found a 2 person one and bought it as well.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
Glad it worked well for you. I have the SG Skyscraper and have been very impressed with it so far.

dapesche

WKR
Just an update. The Storm Star handled a lot of rain and some wind on Kodiak, worked great and I stayed dry.
curious to have your thoughts. My use would be a solo tent but I am not sure if I want a 1p or 2p for solo use.
I am in between grabbing a Hille soulo or looking at the stormstar. There are some other 2p 4 season tents out there as well.

I'd like to keep weight down in that low 5lb max.

in the pick it looks like you have your storm star and your friend had a soulo.

I am sure you guys had time to talk gear out there. What did you decide regarding tents?
did your buddy wish he had a storm star for the space? was he content with the Soulo?
did you feel like maybe the storm star was a bit much and the Soulo could've worked just fine for you (with price not being a factor)?

*zap*

WKR
make sure any 4 season tent body that you choose can be ventilated well if you choose to do so. Very important if you use it in a humid environment...when you lock the heat in you also lock the condensation in.

Something like the marmot thor...

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
curious to have your thoughts. My use would be a solo tent but I am not sure if I want a 1p or 2p for solo use.
I am in between grabbing a Hille soulo or looking at the stormstar. There are some other 2p 4 season tents out there as well.

I'd like to keep weight down in that low 5lb max.

in the pick it looks like you have your storm star and your friend had a soulo.

I am sure you guys had time to talk gear out there. What did you decide regarding tents?
did your buddy wish he had a storm star for the space? was he content with the Soulo?
did you feel like maybe the storm star was a bit much and the Soulo could've worked just fine for you (with price not being a factor)?
He had a Staika I believe, it was a little heavier and roomier than mine I think. Heck of a tent, but more to carry.

FWIW the Storm Star was fine for me as a 1 man tent, but I would not want to use it as a 2 man.