2 man archery hunt.. tipi or separate tents?

I have a Cimarron Light and stove for cold hunts, but to the guys with tipis, I'm curious what your preferred sleeping arrangements are for an earlier season 2-man hunt...both guys shack up in the same tipi, or do you prefer each guy have his own freestanding 1p (or 2p) tent? Looking for some knowledge from experience..

If you are bow hunting together you should be close enough to share a tent, tipi,. What months are you thinking? Car/drop camp where weight doesn’t matter do whatever you want.

The only way I would go individually on a backpacking hunt is if it’s a stranger. Early season it would be with just a Bivy. I’ve slept under the stars plenty

Last edited:

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
Split the weight and share a tent. However I assume since it's an archery hunt it will be early season and often my partner and I won't carry a tent during archery, sometimes we'll carry a tarp if the forecast looks iffy.

feanor

WKR
Depends on if he snores or you can’t sleep with him moving around on his pad all night. If you’re a heavy sleeper, share the tent. Otherwise I carry my own tent to sleep solid at night.

BBob

WKR
Separate tarp setups here. Did lots of early years sharing tents and much prefer staying separate. With modern materials weights are down so it makes it much easier to carry your own.

I’ve shared my Warbonnet Ground Tarp with one other person a couple times. It is more than enough room for two people and gear. It could easily hold 3-4 plus gear in an emergency.

It’s 17 ounces plus stakes and guyline so maybe 21-22 ounces for two people. Hard to beat. It’s always in my pack.

Depends on where you're hunting. In some places (AZ & CO come to mind) the roads and trailheads go everywhere so a deep packing in doesn't get you away from others. In triple digit heat I stay in a hotel and enjoy hot showers, A/C and fine dining. Roughing it in a tent doesn't always provide an advantage but being well rested always does! Well, except for that one hunt in Williams, AZ when bedbugs ruined things.