2 man, second guy non-hunter strategy

Mikido

WKR
First I’d like to say thanks to the classifieds, giving me access to specially used gear I can’t find in my local Craigslist/eBay/stores, it’s been great (although y’all stick to your guns and leave little room for haggling)

I’ll be archery elk hunting next September, with a friend joining. We’re both flatlandets, 36yo in good shape, training hard the next 9 months.
Several years ago, we did well with the altitude skiing, but 13k hit us hard. I’ve accepted that no matter how hard we train, altitude we won’t know till we’re there. So I have several areas of varying elevation in our target unit to explore. We’re backpacking.

finally the question: what would you do differently having a second hand? Target very steep/deep locations that a single man packout would avoid? Is this point mute bc at those locations are the horse outfitters?

Also, I’m going to plan for the worst scenario: no elk/silent elk. Is a second man still hunting through timber helpful or hurtfull. As hunters, we know what we can “get away with” (movement around non alert and alert animals). My friend doesn’t have this knowledge.

thanks for the advice

I suggest your friend has 9 months to practice calling. I think your chances will be much better with a caller that could draw elk thru shooter. I have used the ElkNut app it has plenty of tips strategies and sounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nphunter

WKR
Elknut app is great and listen to Paul on all the podcasts he’s been on. A caller makes a big difference for sure, make sure he can bugle, learn to bark and cow call.

We call in a pile of elk, sometimes your caller can be right with you sometimes he should hang back. A couple things to remember are that when an elk bugles he is loud, move closer before bugling back, you should feel his bugles when your getting close enough. Once your that close have your caller hang back 100 yards or so but make sure you can see each other in case the bull circles so you can adjust.

Another tactic that we use is having a caller stay at the original spot the bull was answering from, this is especially true mid day. Have the caller keep the bull talking from there while you sneak around him, don’t stay directly between him and the caller circle downwind or at least out so your not directly between because he will be looking and expecting to see something in that direction. I have my wife do this a lot for me, sometimes I’ll just have her sit on the road and keep a bull talking while I put a stalk on them. This is a very productive tactic of you have a designated caller. Sometimes a bull will only let you get to a certain point calling and then he’ll move off, this is where that tactic can work great too.

I love to call elk, it’s the best part of elk hunting IMO. If even in doubt be aggressive, cut the distance and bugle, the most common mistake I see people make is to think a bull will come right in. Most of the time it’s the hunter going to him and making the shot. This year my two boys called my bull for me, we chased that bull around all morning, gave him a break mid day and got him fired up again that evening. We ended up pushing him hard lip bawling his cows the whole time once I saw them and ended up walking out of the vine maple to him raking a tree at 40 yards, i lip bawled right before stepping into the open. I drew back and he looked down at me and was mid bugle when my arrow hit the mark.

My 11yr old caller letting out a location bugle.
F4705FE5-2B68-4FB2-9E2E-64593F17D8E8.jpeg