2 man tent help. Kuiu or Stone Galcier

Looking at the Kuiu Mountain Star and the Stone Glacier Skyscraper. Any input, Thanks for reading

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I can't compare the two since I haven't tried the Stone Glacier.

I'm reviewing the Kuiu Mountain Star right now and like it so far. Only one trip with it. I'll be taking it on a backcountry mule deer hunt in a couple weeks and will have a better idea how it performs after that.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OldGrayJB

WKR

@robby denning reviewed the SG on this podcast.

HoneyDew

WKR
I’m not sure how to do it but I’ve seen posts with a poll at the top. It would be an effective way to tally votes. I run the skyscraper FWIW.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We don't have any experience with Kuiu's tents, but we can confirm that the Stone Glacier Skyscraper is top notch! Their updated model that was released this year is pretty revolutionary. The new modular design allows you to run it as a floor-less trekking pole shelter for the early season or a free-standing floored tent for the late season. It will be the only tent that we use this season!

I’ve been impressed with all my stone glacier gear, I have the older solo Pack and their down jacket. I would definitely like to try the skyscraper tent. I’m still using my nemo tent for now but maybe Look to upgrade next year. Looking forward to hearing more.

TN731

FNG
Following...I’m looking hard at the KUIU 2p tent as well. I haven’t read anything bad yet, and I’ve read a ton. Price is steep, but if it’s worth it, I’ll pay it.

bruno59

WKR
Been using the kuiu for a while now and it has been great easy to set up stays dry, a friend of a friend has the stone and seems really nice too don't think you go wrong with either i got the kuiu when they had a 20% off sale and a extra 14% back from active junkie so i got it for around $310 that was a great deal has plenty of room for 1 it would be cosy for two

Any particular reason you're focusing on just those two? I'm not sure if they've redesigned and changed things up by this point or not, but back in the day Kuiu's tents were pretty shameless clones of Big Sky designs. Both of those you cited will be made overseas as are Big Sky's so you may want to give them a look as well...be aware that the ordering experience isn't exactly point and click. I've got a Revolution that has been great....no complaints and you can pitch just the fly, a mesh inner tent, or a beefier fabric inner tent.

OP
R
Any particular reason you're focusing on just those two? I'm not sure if they've redesigned and changed things up by this point or not, but back in the day Kuiu's tents were pretty shameless clones of Big Sky designs. Both of those you cited will be made overseas as are Big Sky's so you may want to give them a look as well...be aware that the ordering experience isn't exactly point and click. I've got a Revolution that has been great....no complaints and you can pitch just the fly, a mesh inner tent, or a beefier fabric inner tent.
Good to know. Thanks

People have been saying they are big sky copies since they came out but the pole structure is notably different, the vents are different, and the intended guy lines and tie outs are different.

Mountain Star 2p
Screenshot 2015-07-26 20.54.41.png

Big Sky Revolution 2p.

unnamed.jpg

Last edited:
The skyscraper seems like a nice tent but the external poles on the kuiu is an attractive feature.

slick

WKR
I just bought a Big Sky International Chinook 2P.

Looking forward to running it through its paces starting in 10 days or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
People have been saying they are big sky copies since they came out but the pole structure is notably different, the vents are different, and the intended guy lines and tie outs are different.

Mountain Star 2p
View attachment 214773

Big Sky Revolution 2p.

View attachment 214774
Aren't all 2P dome tents basically a copy of each other?.......haha

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

The thing that seems crazy about some of these popular tents (BA Copper spur, Kuiu mountainstar, etc) is the fly hydrostatic head is only 1200 MM. That is the same rating as microlite shells on WM sleeping bags. Microfiber shells are 2000 MM. They must work fine as long as you're not putting pressure on the fly to push moisture through?

xturns06x

FNG
I like how you can convert the skyscraper from a 3 season to a true 4 season tent. Its not a tipi with a stove but I can use it all seasons and adjust accordingly.

sneaky

"DADDY"

Mountain Star 2p
View attachment 214773

Big Sky Revolution 2p.

View attachment 214774
The Big Sky Chinook is a better comparison to the Storm Star. The Mountain Star and Big Sky Revolution have a pretty similar pole structure with the short 3rd pole above the door. I think what throws it off in the pictures you linked is you're looking at one from the side, the other from the end. Turned the same way it's easier to see the similarities. The 1 person Kuiu and the Wisp from Big Sky look...ummm... pretty similar lol. Either way, tents with separate fly sheets are annoying to pitch, especially in bad weather. Any tent with external poles will go up quicker and dryer than a tent with a separate fly.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk