*updated 3/3/24* 2 oz that might be worthing adding to your first aid kit *updated 3/3/24*

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
My "regular" backpacking first aid kit weighs about 2 oz total, but when I'm hunting with lots of sharp objects and some that go boom, I'll carry a more extensive kit

Found this on one of the recent podcasts here, it's an Emergency Trauma Dressing (ETD) that's a lot lighter and more compact than most. It's made by North American Rescue (but sold by a variety of vendors too) and called the Mini Responder. It's 4x6" dressing with 4' of elastic bandage to wrap it tightly with. Weight is 2 oz on the nose and is packed pretty small too.

https://www.rescue-essentials.com/n...W32bznlI8R45ymaBH_c7l43VkrYPt_URoCS08QAvD_BwE

In addition to a trauma dressing, it will double as an ACE bandage too for sprains/strains/etc

I bought one for my hunting firs aid kit, but put one each in my vehicles too.

2oZeKGa.jpg

Last edited:

marktole

WKR
Thanks for sharing, I was looking to add something like this to my kit. Just have an ace bandage, but no gauze right now. Looks like this could serve a dual purpose.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
yeah a lot of the trauma bandages are twice that weight (and bulkier)- this is still large enough for most wounds at half the weight :)

JohnB

WKR
Thanks for the link. That'd be better than the old gigantic version I've had in my first aid kit for far too long.

mtnkid85

WKR
Id need to weigh mine to compare but Ive always carried a Ace bandage with a little compressed gauze package. I really like the compressed gauze, but my Ace bandage is fairly bulky.

Good add.

@marktole - self adhesive elastic wrap can do most of what that ace bandage can and it is lighter and more compact.

another good add is CAT tourniquet. Under 3oz. Can provide a nice compression bandage for a cut in addition to stopping blood flow to A limb. $25-30. Buy from a reputable source (not eBay and possible not amazon) as there are some fakes. galls Or a descent trauma supply shop. Watch a yuotibe video and practice a bit.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ I agree; could easily save a life- possibly your own

Rich M

WKR
I carry a clot sponge and an ace bandage - not sure the weight... Gotta carry something to stop blood flow. Ace bandage doubles from compression to sprains.

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
Great find for a lightweight trauma bandage.
Don’t forget the training to use these things! Bandages are fairly obvious where to put them, but tourniquets require some training to apply correctly and in the right place.

When I’m really trying to weight weenie, I’m selective about when I carry trauma care stuff.
If I was a bow hunter carrying razor blades on sticks, I’d have this stuff all the time.
As a solo rifle hunter, I leave it at home. I’m not going to shoot myself with my mountain hunting rifle.
Partnered rifle hunting, I have this with me in case somebody shoots somebody else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bighorse

WKR
I hunt the mountains a lot... I've never carried such a device. For me it's absolute uncompromising safety.
I don't stab myself and don't shoot myself. Anyone can say I'm wrong and being reckless. I say I just don't compromise. I'm not going into combat on a mt hunt. No enemy is sending heat my way or waiting to ambush me. I'm careful with my routes, my knife, and firearm. Just saying.....That's my choice. Hunt on!

Rob5589

WKR
I hunt the mountains a lot... I've never carried such a device. For me it's absolute uncompromising safety.
I don't stab myself and don't shoot myself. Anyone can say I'm wrong and being reckless. I say I just don't compromise. I'm not going into combat on a mt hunt. No enemy is sending heat my way or waiting to ambush me. I'm careful with my routes, my knife, and firearm. Just saying.....That's my choice. Hunt on!
Pretty sure nobody goes into the woods looking to get shot or stabbed. There are plenty of stories out there of guys stabbing themselves while gutting/skinning an animal or getting impaled by a broadhead. Some critically. Better safe than sorry, as the old saying goes.

j33

WKR

Yeah I thought about adding this and decided not to after reading up further on it and chatting with a paramedic in the family. There are a lot of things we could carry for every situation and nothing wrong with adding this to the pack, it’s only a bit extra room and weight. There are a lot of other things I carry that can be used in place of this piece of equipment and there is a very low chance that a bandage with pressure doesn’t work in treating severe bleeding.

j33

WKR
Pretty sure nobody goes into the woods looking to get shot or stabbed. There are plenty of stories out there of guys stabbing themselves while gutting/skinning an animal or getting impaled by a broadhead. Some critically. Better safe than sorry, as the old saying goes.

I agree. I think the gutting/quartering is the most dangerous part of the hunt. You’re tired, in the dark, in poor positions and always in a rush. Cut resistant gloves are something worth thinking about to help prevent those cuts.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
One story I remember reading (Outdoor Life or Field and Stream)- it was a long time ago, but made an impression- guy killed a nice mule deer and was dragon it down a steep slope to get it to a better spot to process it. He slipped and slid, as did the mule deer, got entangled and a tine pierced his thigh. They found him a day or two later, bled out- sad story :(

I'm as big a gram weenie as anyone, come hunting season, my first aid kit goes from ~ 2 oz to ~ 9 oz, no pangs of guilt for the extra 7 oz :)

One story I remember reading (Outdoor Life or Field and Stream)- it was a long time ago, but made an impression- guy killed a nice mule deer and was dragon it down a steep slope to get it to a better spot to process it. He slipped and slid, as did the mule deer, got entangled and a tine pierced his thigh. They found him a day or two later, bled out- sad story :(

I'm as big a gram weenie as anyone, come hunting season, my first aid kit goes from ~ 2 oz to ~ 9 oz, no pangs of guilt for the extra 7 oz :)
Mind sharing what's in your 9 oz kit? I based mine of this: https://www.rokslide.com/backcountry-first-aid-kit/

Also, I just weighed a 4 inch israeli bandage that I had in one of my kits. 2.2 oz

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mind sharing what's in your 9 oz kit? I based mine of this: https://www.rokslide.com/backcountry-first-aid-kit/

Also, I just weighed a 4 inch israeli bandage that I had in one of my kits. 2.2 oz

sure

the above mentioned trauma dressing
CAT tourniquet
QuikClot combat bandage
4x4's x 3
roll gauze x1
Steri-strip wound closures
small irrigator (it's a plastic hobby "syringe)
single app triple antibiotic x 2
few asst bandaids
Leukotape (on old stamp backings for ease of removal)
sliver tweezers (Uncle Bill's)
meds- a couple of old fashion aspirin (heart attack), immodium x4, benadryl x4, acetaminophen and ibuprofen x length of trip

Good add.

@marktole - self adhesive elastic wrap can do most of what that ace bandage can and it is lighter and more compact.

another good add is CAT tourniquet. Under 3oz. Can provide a nice compression bandage for a cut in addition to stopping blood flow to A limb. $25-30. Buy from a reputable source (not eBay and possible not amazon) as there are some fakes. galls Or a descent trauma supply shop. Watch a yuotibe video and practice a bit.

I also suggest everyone adding a tourniquet to their kit. A lot of things you carry are to make you more comfortable, tourniquets will save your life, and if you even need one, you REALLY need one.