*updated 3/3/24* 2 oz that might be worthing adding to your first aid kit *updated 3/3/24*

wyosam

WKR
Long time trauma nurse. My hunting first aid kit consists of duct tape, some paracord, and ibuprofen (my back is wrecked). I’ve seen my fair share of hunting related injuries. A few GSWs (so far 100% while screwing around with a sidearm), a few knife wounds, a handful of bear maulings, many handfuls of “I managed to bear spray myself/partners”. Number 1 by far is horse and ATV wrecks. None of them made me want to carry a bunch crap with only one purpose where ounces count.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OXN939

WKR
I also suggest everyone adding a tourniquet to their kit. A lot of things you carry are to make you more comfortable, tourniquets will save your life, and if you even need one, you REALLY need one.

This is a really interesting thread. I had no idea so many people went on backcountry hunts without TQs and gauze... there are so many ways either or both of those could become necessary on the X, and if they did, you'd be virtually guaranteed to die before help got there if you didn't have them. It's not likely that I'll need my car's airbags between my house and work, but I definitely wouldn't buy a vehicle without them.

I'll add my two cents on the tqs/bandages. Im not a doctor, but I am an ER/Flight nurse and may have been around a couple tq's.

If you decide to carry these things, training is important. When is the right situation to apply a tq? how much pressure should you apply? where should the tq be placed? is a tq suppose to stop arterial or venous bleeding? Do you know the difference? how long can a limb be tied off before permanent damage is done? When should a tq be removed? WHO should remove a tq? Do you have a plan to get out of the woods should the worst happen? Do you have a working GPS with an SOS feature? Do you have rescue insurance, like Global Rescue?

I've seen too many situations were a tq was applied in the wrong situation, or wasn't needed, or the application was totally ineffective.

My personal kit is pretty much the same as wyoslam's. I carry a few more drugs (immodium, anyone?), but I feel confident in that set up.

Last edited:

Bighorse

WKR
Alrighty you gram counting weenies! I carry Duct Tape and have a knife......If I need to I'm cutting shit and taping it. I've got nylon straps with super sweet locking devices on my backpack to create a locking device on my extremity. Most important....I've got a satellite communicator and the USCG with a Jayhawk Helo. If I every see that orange bird of salvation I'll be happy to have paid my taxes.

AgentVenom

Lil-Rokslider
sure

the above mentioned trauma dressing
CAT tourniquet
QuikClot combat bandage
4x4's x 3
roll gauze x1
Steri-strip wound closures
small irrigator (it's a plastic hobby "syringe)
single app triple antibiotic x 2
few asst bandaids
Leukotape (on old stamp backings for ease of removal)
sliver tweezers (Uncle Bill's)
meds- a couple of old fashion aspirin (heart attack), immodium x4, benadryl x4, acetaminophen and ibuprofen x length of trip
Wow my go to emergency kit is very similar (great minds) I’m close to my 8 0z (1/2 lb) goal now with the American Med bandage mentioned.

I like everything in my kit, and it’s all must haves from my life experiences. Not A Doctor or Nurse but I’ve-trained extensively with it all and used most pieces in real world situations.

CAT Tourniquet (old all polymer version)
Quick Clot Bandage
4” Israeli Bandage
Roll gauze (4”) x2
Mentioned Am Med Bandage
Self Adhesive Wrap (rewrapped without tube)x2 (one kryptek, one tan)
Single packs triple antibiotic ointmentx3
*SAM Splint (lighter Chinese knock off version)
Tweezers (I prefer the needle tipped ones much better for deep splinters,also good for ticks/ wound cleaning)
A few Assorted band aids

meds- Chewable Aspirin x6 (pain and heart attack body absorbs chewables faster I was told), High Dose Benadryl X3 (others allergic reactions- anyone else traumatized at a young age by the movie “My Girl”), Ibuprofen with Caffeine (headache, pain, or are better halves PMS) x 1 per day of trip, if I’m in a permissive area or a 3rd world country antibiotics

notes: The SAM type splint I’ve rehashed many times but the first time you have to move someone with a break or major sprain. Your hobbled together impromptu splint always seems to work better in practice then at the bottom of a ravine or the rocky miles back off the trail. The Sam and the self adhesive wrap seem to have 100 other uses too.
I use to carry chest seals but never needed them (thank God) and with the kit I have plenty of sterile packaging and tape to MacGuyver one together in an emergency.

TheGDog

WKR
I hunt the mountains a lot... I've never carried such a device. For me it's absolute uncompromising safety.
I don't stab myself and don't shoot myself. Anyone can say I'm wrong and being reckless. I say I just don't compromise. I'm not going into combat on a mt hunt. No enemy is sending heat my way or waiting to ambush me. I'm careful with my routes, my knife, and firearm. Just saying.....That's my choice. Hunt on!
Two words : Shit Happens

Cmay

FNG
My "regular" backpacking first aid kit weighs about 2 oz total, but when I'm hunting with lots of sharp objects and some that go boom, I'll carry a more extensive kit

Found this on one of the recent podcasts here, it's an Emergency Trauma Dressing (ETD) that's a lot lighter and more compact than most. It's made by North American Rescue (but sold by a variety of vendors too) and called the Mini Responder. It's 4x6" dressing with 4' of elastic bandage to wrap it tightly with. Weight is 2 oz on the nose and is packed pretty small too.

In addition to a trauma dressing, it will double as an ACE bandage too for sprains/strains/etc

I bought one for my hunting firs aid kit, but put one each in my vehicles too.

2oZeKGa.jpg
Nice! Always better to anticipate than just react unprepared

TheGDog

WKR
BTW... in response to the gentleman who basically stated "I'm careful" so I don't need to carry any of this sh*t.

As I said before in rebuttal to your comment... Shit Happens. To illustrate this point... the following pics happened that day after Christmas 2015. A simple slip-and-fall while crossing a creek. A creek that was not all that major in any way. It just so happened to be about 32 F that morning... so my assumption was that last fateful rock, before getting over to the other bank... must have had a thin sheen of ice built-up upon it... underneath the running water. My boot slipped out from underneath me faster than instantly! On the opposite bank there was a stone embedded into the bank. When you fall, you extend your arms out in an involuntary autonomic response. The very tip of the Radius bone smacked down upon the apex of this stone... with all the weight of my 230Lbs + heavy pack + Marlin 336 BL... all that force... concentrated in one small spot being driven at the apex of a stone.

To you... and anyone who thinks like you... I want the following images to stick in your mind.

When this happened, I realized some things...
1.) Oh crap, I can't realistically wield this heavy 336 rifle in defense of myself very well at all anymore.
2.) Oh crap, I am soo freaking vulnerable right now. If a Bear or MtnLion wanted to get me? I'd be totally EFF'd.
3.) Crap, I gotta hike my a$$ back outta here.
4.) Oh crap, I have to do all those same creek crossings to get back out of here. If I fall again onto this arm.... Oh... I don't even wanna think about the horror of that! If I have to? Screw it, just walk thru the water slowly and carefully. (didn't need to thank goodness)

So... 4 miles later... I'm back at my car. And I realize "Aw crap... if I get care over here... Mama and the boy will have to come... and then possibly have to wait around for hours for the dope to wear-off from my system, assuming they try to re-set the bones or something." So I knew what had to be done. I drive down until I can finally get reception, call Mama and let her know what went down, and told her to call around and scope out where we'll go to get this taken care of.

I then proceed to drive myself all the way back home from Azusa. All the way down the 605 Fwy, a lil bit of the 405 Fwy... lil bit of another main st.

As a result of that adventure, I always make sure I have an Rx Pain med in my pack. Typically Tylenol #3's. They are fairly mild so most Docs won't get their panties in a bunch about giving your a script for them when you explain why you want it.

'Cause sometimes... you're just gonna have to drag your sorry broken a$$ the hell back outta there, and having decent pain meds will help it to suck a little bit less.
12-27-2015 2-56-24 PM.jpg
WP_20151227_004.jpg
WP_20160105_001.jpg
WP_20160113_001.jpg

Last edited:
BTW... in response to the gentleman who basically stated "I'm careful" so I don't need to carry any of this sh*t.

As I said before in rebuttal to your comment... Shit Happens. To illustrate this point... the following pics happened that day after Christmas 2015. A simple slip-and-fall while crossing a creek. A creek that was not all that major in any way. It just so happened to be about 32 F that morning... so my assumption was that last fateful rock, before getting over to the other bank... must have had a thin sheen of ice built-up upon it... underneath the running water. My boot slipped out from underneath me faster than instantly! On the opposite bank there was a stone embedded into the bank. When you fall, you extend your arms out in an involuntary autonomic response. The very tip of the Radius bone smacked down upon the apex of this stone... with all the weight of my 230Lbs + heavy pack + Marlin 336 BL... all that force... concentrated in one small spot being driven at the apex of a stone.

To you... and anyone who thinks like you... I want the following images to stick in your mind.

When this happened, I realized some things...
1.) Oh crap, I can't realistically wield this heavy 336 rifle in defense of myself very well at all anymore.
2.) Oh crap, I am soo freaking vulnerable right now. If a Bear or MtnLion wanted to get me? I'd be totally EFF'd.
3.) Crap, I gotta hike my a$$ back outta here.
4.) Oh crap, I have to do all those same creek crossings to get back out of here. If I fall again onto this arm.... Oh... I don't even wanna think about the horror of that! If I have to? Screw it, just walk thru the water slowly and carefully. (didn't need to thank goodness)

So... 4 miles later... I'm back at my car. And I realize "Aw crap... if I get care over here... Mama and the boy will have to come... and then possibly have to wait around for hours for the dope to wear-off from my system, assuming they try to re-set the bones or something." So I knew what had to be done. I drive down until I can finally get reception, call Mama and let her know what went down, and told her to call around and scope out where we'll go to get this taken care of.

I then proceed to drive myself all the way back home from Azusa. All the way down the 605 Fwy, a lil bit of the 405 Fwy... lil bit of another main st.

As a result of that adventure, I always make sure I have an Rx Pain med in my pack. Typically Tylenol #3's. They are fairly mild so most Docs won't get their panties in a bunch about giving your a script for them when you explain why you want it.

'Cause sometimes... you're just gonna have to drag your sorry broken a$$ the hell back outta there, and having decent pain meds will help it to suck a little bit less.
View attachment 214763
View attachment 214764
View attachment 214765
View attachment 214766
Yep - I need to buy an Inreach...

Just yesterday, I was putting some crap in the trash and I went to bend a cheap ikea lamp in two to make it fit. It snapped suddenly and slashed my arm good enough to require three stitches. Luckily I was at home, my wife could steri-strip it up until I could get to the urgent care and all that was really damaged was my pride. However about a half an inch over was a nice vein that was near enough to the surface to easily lacerate... Stuff happens, and my family deserves to know that I have a functional kit and a way to get help if I need it.

TheGDog

WKR
I discovered the void in my minimal first aid kit was the 3.5 oz Garmin mini inreach. I was out taking a quick hike up to a glassing point on a scouting trip when my weight shifted suddenly. I didn’t fall but my left tibia & fibia went a nap, crackle, pop. No compound fracture but it looked like my fibia was trying to. My foot was not pointing & looking like God had made it so I straightened things out (note: this hurts like utter hell).

My tourniquet & combat gauze did nothing for me. There were no small limbs around to attempt to make a crutch out of (I didn’t have a saw anyways). I could not stand and could not even crawl due to my foot flopping around & hurting like hell. I was off trail, alone and without cell service.

I would have paid an insane amount of money for the $350 mini inreach that I now own.

BP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Eeesh!!! Oooh that makes me cringe just thinkin' about it! Hehe.. like that Deadpool scene where he does the spinning roundhouse kick to the silver metal guy and ragdolls his foot!

Ugh... glad you made it outta there man.

Seabee

FNG
sure

the above mentioned trauma dressing
CAT tourniquet
QuikClot combat bandage
4x4's x 3
roll gauze x1
Steri-strip wound closures
small irrigator (it's a plastic hobby "syringe)
single app triple antibiotic x 2
few asst bandaids
Leukotape (on old stamp backings for ease of removal)
sliver tweezers (Uncle Bill's)
meds- a couple of old fashion aspirin (heart attack), immodium x4, benadryl x4, acetaminophen and ibuprofen x length of trip
Super helpful - thank you!

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
This topic (and the TQ "debate" within it) comes up periodically. I respect that each can make his/her own decision on whether, and when, to carry various items.

FWIW, my trauma/blowout kit includes at a minimum a CAT TQ and Celox z-fold for a total weight of about 4.5 oz. My most recent hunting trip was with two vets and they each carried a similar setup. Each day we left camp, we confirmed for the others where our personal blowout kits were on our bodies (within easy reach, usually in a thigh pant pocket). I try to carry a TQ in each car, but I haven't gotten to the point (yet?) to include it as part of an EDC item.

I totally agree on the training recommendation, and updating it periodically. I took the Dark Angel class a few years ago, and even in that short period of time the recommendation on where to place the TQ has changed.

Fire_9

WKR
Alrighty you gram counting weenies! I carry Duct Tape and have a knife......If I need to I'm cutting shit and taping it. I've got nylon straps with super sweet locking devices on my backpack to create a locking device on my extremity. Most important....I've got a satellite communicator and the USCG with a Jayhawk Helo. If I every see that orange bird of salvation I'll be happy to have paid my taxes.
You or your buddy are going to be dead before you make any of that shit work. I agree that satellite communication is one of our most useful tools as outdoorsmen but a tourniquet and hemostatic gauze are always going to have a place in my pack.

Bighorse

WKR
You or your buddy are going to be dead before you make any of that shit work. I agree that satellite communication is one of our most useful tools as outdoorsmen but a tourniquet and hemostatic gauze are always going to have a place in my pack.
Meanwhile in Alaska.....I'll complete my 17th Mt goat hunt without it. Respect for whatever endeavor you choose and the gear you select. I'll jump on an airplane this spring on Kodiak for a DIY Brown Bear hunt without it in April.