2 person, fully enclosed shelter options

Lawnboi

WKR
Before anyone says that I need to try floorless, I have and do run floorless, but now I'm looking for a shelter that is fiance approved, and that is light enough to use solo. So that means leaving my tarp and bivy home and carrying something a little more substantial. Looking to keep the setup under 4lbs, and be comfortable for 2 smaller individuals. Shelter is to be used for 3 season use with a good amount of use in the shoulder season April to October time frame. I don't think I need full on 4 season but a number of the places I frequent are fairly open and receive some decent wind that has collapsed multiple 3 season tents. Iv got my eye on a few and am wanting some opinions on them as well as any I may be missing.

Big Agnes copper spur 2, looks like the new model is higher volume. My main worry with the BA is durability and use in the spring fall, as well as how it will handle wind. It's the lightest option I'm looking at and I like the 2 doors as the misses seems to need to leave the tent to pee every 15 minutes. This is also the most affordable option thus far and with REI coupons I could probably procure this for a good price, though that's not a major deciding factor.

Hilleberg Anjan 2, 1 door, tunnel design. I really like the reviews on this one. Any experience with 2 adults in it? How crowded and how's the door. Also worried about storage and if there is enough room to store gear under. Most expensive by a good margin, also heavy though Iv heard you can cut some weight on it pretty easily. Also is it reccomended to run a ground cloth for protection with the hille? Or is the floor tough enough for careful campsite selection.

Seek outside cimmaron plus nest. Right in the middle of the road as far as price and weight go, looks like lots of room, like the tipi and have run tipis floorless in the past. Never used a SO shelter though and would like to hear some input on size and actual weight for 2 people. I like this option the most as of now, as it looks like I'll get the pluses of a floorless with the nest only taking half the shelter.

Any input? Other options? Not willing to go more expensive than the hilleberg at this time.

Thanks

ljalberta

WKR
I picked up the Hubba Hubba last year because the wife wanted to come backpacking. The new Copper Spur you mentioned is definitely intriguing though. The MSR is a little heavier duty fabrics than the BA, a little wider at the foot end, but a little shorter in height. There's lighter options out there, such as Tarptent, Nemo, etc, but I'm quite happy with the Hubba Hubba, and more importantly, my wife enjoys it. I have no personal experience with the tent in high winds or getting a snow load though.

I have to say though, the Cimarron seems like a pretty ideal setup for you're intended use.

bbrown

WKR
My wife and I run the Cimarron with a BPWD nest and she/we really like the combo. Still relatively light weight even with 2 doors and gives you the best of both worlds as far as enclosed space to sleep with the rest of the covered space to hang out and cook. When the kiddo comes along she sleeps in the nest with the wife and I get the boot sleeping in the dirt with the dog.
DSC01173_zpsptwqtawp.jpg

This set up would get my vote especially since it can fill multiple roles and you can use it the rest of the time without the nest making it a pretty versatile set up.

Akicita

WKR
Before anyone says that I need to try floorless, I have and do run floorless, but now I'm looking for a shelter that is fiance approved, and that is light enough to use solo. So that means leaving my tarp and bivy home and carrying something a little more substantial. Looking to keep the setup under 4lbs, and be comfortable for 2 smaller individuals. Shelter is to be used for 3 season use with a good amount of use in the shoulder season April to October time frame. I don't think I need full on 4 season but a number of the places I frequent are fairly open and receive some decent wind that has collapsed multiple 3 season tents. Iv got my eye on a few and am wanting some opinions on them as well as any I may be missing.

Thanks

I've spent some time in the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 and Copper Spur UL3. I would say the material and craftsmanship would not be a concern of mine. I have spent some nights with the walls in my face as a result of high wind and although they came through without anything torn or broken it was very annoying not to mention sleepless.

I have not spent any time in the Hilleberg Anjan 3 but I have spent a considerable amount of time in the Nallo 3 and the Nammatj 3. I have no doubt that the Anjan would be just as fantastic as those. I do like a 2 door 2 vestibule option better as in the Staika or Allak but they do come in over the weight you want and they are somewhat smaller than the Anjan. They are without a doubt, tents that you will have a confident mindset regarding strength in nearly any weather. You may want to look at the specs of the new Rogen. It has a 2 door 2 vestibule setup but not sure it will have the room you want.

I'm a big fan of the Seek Outside tents. I am running the Redcliff a lot these days. I really like the Cimmaron but when I asked Mrs. Akicita of the three you listed which one she would prefer she said the Hilleberg. For what it's worth she really likes our Redcliff for extended trips but I must also say she is more outdoorsy than most hardcore men. She also likes our Big Agnes Battle Mountain 3 for winter ski tours and loves our Hilleberg Nammajt 3 for most any trip above treeline or when heavy snow is in the forcast. We sometimes extend our vestibule by rigging our Kifaru Sheep Tarp over the front of our Nammajt and guying it out very tight.

I will conclude that I let her pick which shelter we take for any outing she goes with me on. She is picking the Redcliff more if we aren't going above treeline but that is for the stove option only.

Last edited:
OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Good to hear on the big Agnes, I don't like being woken up by my tent poles hitting me.

She has only backpacked once and I carried my brick north face 3 person traditional tent. Her only request is that the bugs are not sleeping with her. And unfortunately I don't want to carry the extra weight of the bigger or free standing hilleberg tents.

I'm thinking the cimmaron would be the most versatile, I'm familiar with what a tipi will stand up to, and I can easily ditch the nest when solo and have a palace for a little over 3 pounds. That and the misses likes the idea of a stove if she ever comes when it's colder

Akicita

WKR
I'm thinking the cimmaron would be the most versatile, I'm familiar with what a tipi will stand up to, and I can easily ditch the nest when solo and have a palace for a little over 3 pounds. That and the misses likes the idea of a stove if she ever comes when it's colder

Mrs. Akicita says that's a good choice too. . . Very versatile and certainly meets all your criteria with a nest.

kipper09

WKR
I would look at the exped line. They do not get the attention they deserve. I run the Gemini 3. Great space and have had great luck with it. They make a lighter tent as well. I think the Mira 3 HL. Just another option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk