2 person lightweight tent (on the cheap)

Casey_NorCal

Let me preface this with I understand the buy once, cry once mentality. But with diesel being $6 a gallon, this year’s hunts are going to be especially hard on the wallet. My son (13) will be joining me in the CO elk woods for archery (his first western hunt), and I don’t want it to be a miserable experience for him. Has anyone had any luck with a lightweight 2-person tent that’s not over $200-400? I hate the idea of buying a made in china tent, but I may have to swallow my pride and buy an Amazon-special cheap tent this year. Good experiences? Bad experiences?

Thanks
Try to find one with a good warranty or customer service. If it's cheap and going to get abused....might as well try to get some money back.

Jonoton

I too am looking at 2p tents for a few trips. Just me and my stuff, though. And maybe a kid down the road once they get bigger.

I went to REI and they had a new Tiger Wall 2 set up, and I guess this is a perception issue I have with these light tents in general... it just seemed to be so fragile and flimsy. I'll have to deal with that to get down to the 2 to 2.5 lb area, where I'd like to be.

Anyways, my first trip is an 8mi hike into a fixed fishing camp. So I talked myself into an REI Half Dome 2 at 4.9 pounds, which I might return if I order and receive a lighter 2p tent in time.

Thank y'all for the suggestions

ScottP

Well Known Rokslider
Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT. A little over $100 depending on where you buy it, maybe less if you catch a good sale.

It is floorless which can actually be a very good thing if you are comfortable with that. Decent amount of space for its 2 pound weight. It does require two trekking poles to set up.

I haven’t used mine for two people, but it is enough space. I would just recommend carrying a small tarp to create a porch or something to keep your packs outside and leave you a bit more room inside.
I’ve done a lot of backpack elk hunting with my LT. Tough to beat if you’re good going floorles. And if you and your son are average size it would be fine on space IMO.

zacattack

Well Known Rokslider
There’s a MLD duomid in the classifieds. Not mine, but that’s a pretty great tent and a good deal on it.

Nleachet23

There’s some very cheap tarp type set ups. Floorless. On Amazon. Not sure I’d go that rout but they are cheap. Maybe a 1 season use type of thing.