2 Questions for Archery Hunters

11boo

WKR
We have rifle bear season in Colorado so I often keep some flagging on my pack, but not always. Had a muzzy guy kill a 15 YO bow hunter here a few years back from 50 yards away. Sad, but relatively rare.

11boo

WKR
My bad, Justin was 14 YO. A solid young man I had the pleasure of meeting randomly in some drainage while we were both trying to get an elk. We spent a few hours trying to get in front of a herd I had spotted before we parted ways. Great kid. he was killed 2 days later. WALKING OUT FROM THE CAMPGROUND.

Jackwagon who shot him got 5 years.

A Minnesota hunter accused of fatally shooting a 14-year-old boy while hunting on western Colorado's Grand Mesa has pleaded guilty to all charges.

The Daily Sentinel of Grand Junction reports that 59-year-old Guy Pohto was handcuffed and remanded into custody of the Mesa County Jail after entering his plea on Wednesday. He pleaded guilty to manslaughter as well as a misdemeanor count of hunting in a careless manner.

Pohto is charged in connection to the Sept. 13 death of Justin Burns, of Palisade.

Gerbdog

WKR
My bad, Justin was 14 YO. A solid young man I had the pleasure of meeting randomly in some drainage while we were both trying to get an elk. We spent a few hours trying to get in front of a herd I had spotted before we parted ways. Great kid. he was killed 2 days later. WALKING OUT FROM THE CAMPGROUND.

A Minnesota hunter accused of fatally shooting a 14-year-old boy while hunting on western Colorado's Grand Mesa has pleaded guilty to all charges.

The Daily Sentinel of Grand Junction reports that 59-year-old Guy Pohto was handcuffed and remanded into custody of the Mesa County Jail after entering his plea on Wednesday. He pleaded guilty to manslaughter as well as a misdemeanor count of hunting in a careless manner.

Pohto is charged in connection to the Sept. 13 death of Justin Burns, of Palisade.
I know its years back but prayers to the family of the kid and the healing process. Cant even really find words for the guy whos... i guess by the math, out of jail soon? *smh*

Makes me re-think not wearing orange during ML season but ill be honest i just generally try and avoid ML season , theres a week and a half before and after that i try to hunt in. Why Colorado puts ML right smack dab in the middle of archery is... well whatever. Is what it is.

Kindo

WKR
We have rifle bear season in Colorado so I often keep some flagging on my pack, but not always. Had a muzzy guy kill a 15 YO bow hunter here a few years back from 50 yards away. Sad, but relatively
Started hunting that area around the time that happened. The guy basically just shot at some moving bushes right? Sad deal.
My buddy lives out there and said he runs into plenty of weekend warriors.

Sled

WKR
Started hunting that area around the time that happened. The guy basically just shot at some moving bushes right? Sad deal.

Very sad. I remember things like this happening in thicker whitetail country when I lived down there. That behavior seemed to replicate itself on private property when sound and movement trick the brain into seeing what it wants to see. Back east hunters orange is a must. Out west it seems simple accidents with improper gun safety accounts for most accidents I see in the news.

11boo

WKR
Yeah, the shooter pretty much took a “sound/movement” shot . He saw what he had done and ran. Really. He ran and hid for a while. Makes me mad AF.
Anyway, Justin bled out right there. I believe his family heard the shot from camp and were there quickly.

The killer got 5 years, probably did 2.5 in this lib state. Should have gotten life.

Anyway, it hurts to think about it. And I hardly knew the young man but he was a great guy to hunt with for a few hours.

Backyard

WKR
No orange.
Nocks up, but I add a loop of paracord with a spring slider around the arrows and quiver at the lower pinch on the quiver just in case when I pack my bow. Its very quick to take off or loosen to pull an arrow, and adds a bit of security and piece of mind.

I’m also in the no orange, bow in hand with quiver crowd. Never really felt threatened by the muzzy hunters. Called a couple in one time in a thick area that were persistent, but after a few hen yelps on the diaphragm, they figured it out

My 4 arrows are connected to my quiver connected to my bow connected to my hand. On rare occasion I strap my bow to the pack, the quiver is still connected to the bow and the arrows to the quiver.

no orange for me either. I met an electrician at work years ago who was a rifle hunter as was I. Somehow we got on the subject of wearing orange and he said to me, “the only time I ever got shot, I was wearing blaze orange”. Then he showed me the bullet scar on his leg. He walked with a limp.

Last edited:
My quiver does not quick detach from my bow so my nocks are down in the dark.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

DANJR

FNG
No orange. If you're surrounded by the orange army-move to somewhere else. Also nice if you're posted up in a great spot to let others walk right by and never see you. Have had this happen a few times. Stumble right past the trail or wallow you're sitting on, missing it by yards. I like to keep the stealth factor.

Nocks down, in quiver on bow. Largely dependent upon how your quiver best fits on your bow-I try to have it match the same profile. If I had nocks up, they would stick up higher. Also, if you're shooting bright flethchings, wraps, easier to hide the light colored movement when drawing on the lower side with brush etc than up above your head.

Bow only on pack during hike in/out in the dark. I'm going to try a bow sling this year though-hand carrying a bow when you're covering a lot of country gets old, but not willing to chance having the bow on the back of my pack when you could stumble upon them at any point and may be locked down by eyes. Should still be easy to unsnap the bow out of a bow sling without much movement, at least not anymore movement than pulling an arrow from quiver and nocking on bow string.

Maverick1

WKR
No orange. And arrows are in my quiver, attached to my bow. Never strapped in or on a pack. In my experience that is the best way for me to get them in and out of where I’m going.

That’s really sad. The killer should be put away for a lot longer than 5 years.

No orange, though I do have orange flagging for when I’m packing out with an elk rack. I also avoid places with other hunters when possible.

Most of the time my bow is in my hand. It’s only on my pack when I’m hiking in or out during non shooting hours, or if I’m packing a load out. I strap it low on my pack with the nocks up, with the bottom cam touching the ground when I sit down. I also run one strap around the quiver just snug enough not to let anything rattle loose, and use the Kuiu SFS bow kit to cover my string, nocks, and sight.

cronsman

WKR
Are you talking arrows in your quiver in your bow? With them being protected by the quiver cover I would go nock up to protect the nocks from a fall or drop

Spence14

WKR
If I'm hunting around people with firearms, I'd have some orange. Too many stories out there. My dad took a buckshot pellet to the hip and his brother caught one in the knee back when i was a kid due to another hunters carelessness. And I go nocks down if I strap my bow to my pack for long hikes.