2 rifles, 2 purposes, what modifications would you do?

Eluder

FNG
I will start by saying I am just fishing for ideas. I currently have two different rifles and would like to optimize them both a bit. I do not have an unlimited budget but am curious what you guys think are worthwhile ways to spend some money. I do not want to step into talking about the optic specifics because there is plenty of info/opinions about that already on this forum. I also realize there is info about both these rifles, but I am hoping to get some opinions about what to prioritize between the two.

Rifle 1: Rem 700 .308 - This rifle started as a for fun bench gun but has been morphed to my main local hunting rig. Barrel/chamber/trigger have all been worked, bottom metal is stock. I just have a laminated Boyd's Hunter stock on it currently, the barrel is floated, and action is bedded. I am happy with the accuracy on this rifle. Currently my main complaint is it gets a bit heavy after 3-5 hours. I have thought about boring out butt of the stock or just replacing it with something lighter. I will admit I could upgrade the optics on this rig, but that component has not let me down yet so it’s not high on my priority list. This rifle is predominantly used for 100-200 yards in rocky/wooded areas hunting Whitetail.

Rifle 2: Tikka T3X Lite 7mm Rem Mag - This is a new rifle for me, but I have a lot of rounds through a heavy barrel T3 in .223 so I am familiar with what to expect out of it. This rifle is currently fully stock. My reason for purchasing it was for Hunting Elk and Mule deer on the rocky mountain front here in Montana. I wont intentionally be seeking out game at 500-600 yards but wanted a rifle that I can trust to put an animal down at that distance if I do my part. I do run into some small herds locally while hunting whitetail, but I will be close enough in those spots the .308 will work. Last season I myself 30-40 yards out on a local herd but nothing was legal to take. I am not super worried about shaving weight on this gun as the weight is already low even with a little heavier scope. Maybe I will change my tune on this later though.

I swapped the stock on my Tikka .223 for something more suited for the bench but am not dead set on swapping out the stock for the 7mm. Should I just run the Tikka stock this season and put money into the .308? Is there something I should do right away to the Tikka? I thought about throwing all the money at the Tikka and using that rifle for everything but the .308 is way more comfortable to shoot so it seems worthwhile to keep using that when it makes sense.

Last edited:
OP
E

Eluder

FNG
Sorry I meant to put this thread in "Firearms" can it be moved?

Id put a nice reliable dialing scope on the 308 and spend the rest on ammo and start participating your way out to 1000 yards.

Maybe to the trigger spring to the Tikka but just leave it set up ready to hunt.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've never wanted to "modify" any of my rifles, other than different scopes. I'm not even sure what would need modifying. I have a Browning A-bolt in 7mag with a laminated stock and a 22oz scope that has to weigh 10lbs loaded. I've never even once thought about the weight of it while hunting, and would cover 15+ miles a day when I used to do the rifle seasons. I'd put your money into good scopes and go shoot them.

Rob5589

WKR
Your set ups sound solid. If you want to play around, something in carbon fiber for the 700 stock; the T3 I'd pull it apart, clean it up, make sure the barrel is floated, adjust the trigger to your liking, reassemble and properly torque.

Other than that, ammo, ammo, ammo.

Limbsaver butt pad is a cheap Mod and really makes a noticeable difference in felt recoil.

WKR
You seem to like Tikka as do a lot of others. I'd trip the heavy 308 and buy a Tikka in 308. No need throwing more money at the 308 in my opinion.

robtattoo

WKR
As mentioned, a limbsaver Aircell pad makes a big difference to the Tikka. Other than that, i'd leave it be.

Maybe go with a lighter stick for the .308 but it sounds like a good solid setup as it is. I tried lightening a Boyds stock myself on my Axis Swede & its really hard to get much weight off without some serious butchering. Even then it ended up heavier than most polymer stocks.