2 Up ATV Bow Stowage To and From Hunting Area

Hey folks,

Will be hunting in NM this Sept with a buddy. It's been HIGHLY recommended that we bring an ATV or side by side on the hunt to be more "mobile" Seems as some forest roads are passable with trucks but ATV/UTV makes travel much easier and faster. My issue is I have a 4 wheeler that I can take on the hunt, but I'm trying to figure out the best way to transport myself, partner and our bows? We will both have packs and he could just wear/strap his to his pack as a passenger. Myself as the driver I'm thinking that I may need to secure my bow in a hard case on front racks of 4 wheeler. I can't think of any other way to do it at the moment. He's in TX and I'm in GA so it's not like we can "try it out" and see. I do have a hard case I guess I could strap to front rack and then strap my quiver to the top. Just thinking about it, it seems that If I wore my pack with bow attached it would really cramp/push him back off of ATV or onto rack. Maybe a pad for him on the back rack and he can sit backwards? Last thing I want to do is trash a sight, quiver, arrow....etc on the way to or from a hunting area.

Have any of you folks went 2 up on an ATV on hunts with archery gear? How did you secure your gear? Just looking for suggestions prior to getting out there and realizing something doesn't work.

Thanks

Slugz

WKR
We frequently run a Polaris X2 in the two up configuration rifle and bow season. Archery season we strap two cases on the front and one pack. Rear rider wears her pack.

The only issue occurs post animal down. Just no room to bring quarters down the mountain. We go in then as a single to retrieve meat.

Jethro

WKR
Buddy and I have logged many many miles riding double. Last few years the atv has a hard storage case permanent mount on front rack. On top of that driver bungees his pack. On back rack we stack and bungee both hard bow cases. I'm passenger and I wear my pack.

Although we've done packs lashed to the back rack, its not preferred. Gets too much dust or mud.

We've never traveled without both bows in hard case.

None of the atv's we used were ever official "2 up". Just standard seat.

DanimalW

WKR
Harbor freight sells at ATV carrier that plugs into the receiver on the ATV for like $40. Might help for throwing a pack on that.

wapitibob

WKR
Padded bowcases lashed to the front rack along with my pack. Partners pack is lashed to the back rack or he wears it. Dust can be a pain.

This was 11 miles from camp, both of us on the seat. You need to be friends.

b.JPG

Last edited:

rambo2345

WKR
It takes a good sturdy 4 wheeler for 2 riders, bows, and packs. Particularly if the trails are steep.

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
You're going to regret it and if it's not a one time thing, you will ne looking at buying a SxS after you do it once. Just saying...

That's even leaving the Broke Back Mt analogy out of the discussion..

11boo

WKR
Nope. what's the winch and rope trick?
First, you need a sturdy hard case. I’ve done it with a cheap Plano case no issue.

Lay the case on the front rack, handle forward.

Take some stout rope or webbing, somewhere out by the back Of the front rack,
tie it off at the corners, leaving enough to go over the bow case, thru the handle and hit the winch hook. Very easy and secure, careful on the winch. Just snug works with 1” webbing.

OP
B
Appreciate the tip. will look into it. I have a hard aluminum case I could use this for. Also looking into receiver mounted racks that I may be able to use. I never thought about a receiver mounted rack until this thread. Thanks again guys. Very helpful.

Zeke6951

Lil-Rokslider
Once upon a time in Colorado in archery season 2 buddies were going for short scouting ride on a quad. As they started to leave I ask have you got room for one more? We stacked 3 bows in hard cases on the front rack. We all got on (we may have left 2 of the day pack at camp) and took off. Mind you this was a short trip on a well established trail that had no steep spots. We met 4 or 5 young ladies riding "ponies". One was walking leading her pony. She asked in a smart tone can you pull over and shut your engine off, I am afraid you might spook some of our ponies. We complied, and as she walked by us at 10 feet she said in a smart ass tone "I guess ATVs are in short supply in this area". My buddy replied at least we are not having to lead it. She huffed and threw her nose up and walked on her way.

DanimalW

WKR
Appreciate the tip. will look into it. I have a hard aluminum case I could use this for. Also looking into receiver mounted racks that I may be able to use. I never thought about a receiver mounted rack until this thread. Thanks again guys. Very helpful.
You need an ATV specific cargo carrier that lifts up. A straight one for a truck won’t give you ground clearance. Also, they don’t handle a lot of weight well. I had a mature whitetail on the rack behind my 700 grizzly, and I could barely steer because the front wheels were nearly lifting up.

JLeMieux

Lil-Rokslider
What about one of the attachments with the 2 vertical rails for carrying treestands? They attach to the outside of the rear rack and hold the stand vertically. You could probably fab something like this to carry 2 bow cases with handles up. This would keep your rack space free for packs. You can also add one of the extended baskets.