2-way radios legal for hunting?

mtnkid85

WKR
Realunlucky said it right, its definitely unethical and shouldn't need to be illegal for people to not do it. We as a group should take it upon are selves to limit the use of our communications. I've radioed/phoned/sent SPOT signals out to my group to let them know I have an animal down and to bring frame packs in, but that has no bearing on my ability to take an animal.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Each state is different.

Exactly, and is why these threads pop up every once in a while and some people are just sure it's illegal. Every state is different. Colorado was legal last time I checked, but I don't have the regs in front of me.

As far as ethics, each to their own but having used radios legally in Idaho for years, I can tell you that the buck population is in no danger from radios. They spook as many as they kill.

Jimbob

WKR
Here in ontario moose hunting is done in groups and radios are common practice. I would never even think that using a radio is unethical. We try to kill a moose to feed our families for the winter. I use a high powered rifle with scope, laser range finder, GPS etc. Just really interesting how your location can change what is considered ethical or not.

Felix40

WKR
^agreed. It's just funny where some people draw the line. Use all this modern hunting equipment not to mention all the internet and google earth scouting everyone does but radios are a no no. It doesn't seem like a big deal either way.

Ftguides

Lil-Rokslider
I have been told directly by cdow guys that you can use them to communicate, coordinate drives, tell hunters where game is, pretty much anything other than airplane spotting, which really is just an extension of the fact you can't hunt/scout from aircraft. However, if you use them to coordinate anything that is illegal, offense just became way worse.

We use them only as communication devices and keep them turned off. I've found that in the spot and stalk world, they give zero advantage and likely a disadvantage in almost all practical applications. Related noise, forgetting to turn off during a stalk, etc...

I'd guess that they are useful in driving game, a practice that drives elk out of the country here in CO. It's analogous to climbing to the top of everest then throwin snowballs and empty oxygen tanks at the other guys trying to summit.

Last edited:
I have been told directly by cdow guys that you can use them to communicate, coordinate drives, tell hunters where game is, pretty much anything other than airplane spotting, which really is just an extension of the fact you can't hunt/scout from aircraft. However, if you use them to coordinate anything that is illegal, offense just became way worse.

Glad to hear some confirmation of my interpretation of the regs. The only time I could see it useful in a spot and stalk situation would be for sneaking up on a bedded animal where the spotter could ensure you are heading towards the right tree (funny how things look so different from the other side of a valley) and if the animal is on alert (heard something or looking your way).