2-way radios legal for hunting?

The Colorado regs don't specifically cite radios as being illegal. The regs do state (page 17, under "Illegal Activities" #21) that electronic devices to communicate information that violates any wildlife regulation or law is illegal. Seems a bit ambiguous to me... Does anyone know where it is written, if at all, that use of two way radios to actively pursue game is prohibited? I am mostly interested in this matter as it pertains to Colorado. My curiosity was sparked when I saw a video showing two archery hunters using radios to close in on a buck. For the record, I feel this is unethical and it goes against my sense of fair pursuit. Thanks to anyone that can shed some light on this for me.

416mag

FNG
I would error on the side of caution, and not use them to relay hunting information. My wife and I have ham radio licenses, and we used radios to stay in touch, welfare, and location. If we were to have taken game, that would have been said, but I do not see that violating any laws.

I agree that it is unethical and always thought it illegal but after reading the regs closely came to the conclusion it was not. The regs basically state that it is an additional felony if used to commit any wildlife crime, so since it is not a crime to convey the location of game it doesn't seem to be illegal. However it is a crime to use an aircraft, poach, trespass, etc. so as long as you aren't doing those things from what I can tell it is completely legal.

charvey9

WKR
Check with the regulating wildlife agency in that state to be sure, but in general it is OK to use any form of two-way communication as long as it is not used to relay information on the location or movement of game animals. However, in some states that is also legal.

For many the use of radios, phones, etc in the field is essential to safety. Such as hunting with kids and family and being able to stay in touch in case of emergency. A complete ban on two way communication would mean many people would have no way to call for help while hunting, which is where it does have a place in hunting without violating any ethics.

Felix40

WKR
Pretty sure its legal in Colorado. Saw a bunch of Amish guys using them last year in a burn area.

toddb

Lil-Rokslider
I think it is illegal. In wisconsin, you can only communicate to check on health of hunter from what I understand. You can not discuss (wake up a deer headed your way) or (start the drive I am in my stand). Call colorado dow. I believe you will get a ticket and then have to hire an attorney as you will not be able to attend court date if out of state, and won't be worth arguing so you will pay fine anyway.

Felix40

WKR
There is nowhere in the book that says it is illegal that I could find. I would like to see it referenced if someone else finds it.

I think it is illegal. In wisconsin, you can only communicate to check on health of hunter from what I understand. You can not discuss (wake up a deer headed your way) or (start the drive I am in my stand). Call colorado dow. I believe you will get a ticket and then have to hire an attorney as you will not be able to attend court date if out of state, and won't be worth arguing so you will pay fine anyway.

What makes you say it's illegal? Is there something you found in the regs that the rest of us aren't seeing? Also, calling the DOW isn't always concrete. Last year there was a thread about whether backpacks need orange in order to meet the sq in that they cover and it took several conversations with the DOW to get a concrete answer. The fact that it is illegal in WI has no bearing on CO.

Bulldawg

WKR
It's legal, just can't have 2 guys driving in a pickup calling out coordinates to guys on the hill where the animals are, or can't have a guy in a plane flying overhead calling out locations. But you can have one guy behind the spotter and another guy on the stalk and telling him whether or not the deer is there, he moved or you're going to the wrong tree idiot!

The regs are kind of confusing on this but we asked a game warden and other authorities and they said it's all good.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
So if they get out of the truck or hop out of the plane it's ok? Interesting that's where Colorado draws the line. To me an ear bud on a stalk is over the line

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Of course I'm only the ethics policeman to myself and those I chose to hunt worth

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

So if they get out of the truck or hop out of the plane it's ok? Interesting that's where Colorado draws the line. To me an ear bud on a stalk is over the line

No because scouting from a plane is also illegal, so it only takes one felony off the table if you land first. Calling from the road to people on the mountains is certainly unethical, but don't see where one could interpret it as illegal per the regs. That being said, there are certain game species in other states where radioing locations to a hunter from the road are common place. If I remember right this is common with some goat species in the desert. The earbud is an iffy one for me, but to each his own. I have only seen one group of bowhunters with them and they used them more for telling each other what they were seeing more than guiding each other to the animals. Also, useful in letting others know that you have a bull down and could use some help when they're done with there hunt. I don't see that outlawing such a practice would make a huge impact on the harvest either way, so I'm fine with it staying the way it is.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I know it used to be illegal to use radios for actual hunting purposes. Sure you could check in with each other and that kind of stuff but I can remember years ago people getting busted for guiding their buddies to an animal on a stalk. Not sure if it just gets left out of the guide these days, or they've changed the law. Doesn't apply to me either way, so I don't care.

xziang

WKR
It's legal, just can't have 2 guys driving in a pickup calling out coordinates to guys on the hill where the animals are, or can't have a guy in a plane flying overhead calling out locations. But you can have one guy behind the spotter and another guy on the stalk and telling him whether or not the deer is there, he moved or you're going to the wrong tree idiot!

The regs are kind of confusing on this but we asked a game warden and other authorities and they said it's all good.

This is how it is in NE on state land. You just can't be in a vehicle (atv/car/snowmobile) and convey the location of game. Each state is different.

Jimbo V

WKR
Go to the CDOW website and search "regulations". There you will find the actual state regulations from which the information the the big game regulations brochure is derived

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crmiller84

Lil-Rokslider
As others have stated, be cautious in contacting game wardens/ conservation officers on certain ambiguously written laws. Here in IN, I was trying to find out about coyote hunting on state property. On the different pages for the different properties, they list animals that can be hunted/trapped. Long story short, I ended up having to call the director of our DOW area to find out concrete answers, and I went a step further by requesting email confirmation from her stating where I could coyote hunt (and during what hours), so I could print it off and keep it with my license.

Another instance was on landowner hunting rights. In IN, landowners only have to purchase hunting licenses for migratory waterfowl. Deer, turkey, varmint, etc is unlicensed, so long as you follow game regulations. Just finding out what immediate family members this covered was a 9 mo process.

Edited for spelling (I suck at that):D