2-way radios?

gchs4464

FNG
This year my hunting group has increased in size to five coming with me to Colorado. We are backpacking in to set up and basecamp. I’m the only one on the group who has a satellite messenger with a sos function. We will be splitting into two groups to hunt through the day. I’m worried that if something happens in the other group such as a injury or hopefully a kill they won’t be able to reach me. What do you guys find is the best radios for the mountains that seems to do well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bitbckt

Lil-Rokslider
The BaoFengs are supposed to work well, but commercial two-way radios have failed me every time I've used them in the field.

I'd seriously consider putting an InReach in each group.

OP
G

gchs4464

FNG
The BaoFengs are supposed to work well, but commercial two-way radios have failed me every time I've used them in the field.

I'd seriously consider putting an InReach in each group.

That would be idea, and I’ll continue to encourage it. But I don’t feel I can push or demand they do so. Knowing how much gear they need to buy from the get go and not knowing their financial situation. So I want to make sure I can prepare the best I can for the group and hopefully someone will pony up and buy a inreach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless we’ve stayed within about 3 miles of one another, and closer than that if there’s a ridge line, we’ve found commercial radios to be very hit or miss...

muddydogs

WKR
I ended up picking up a second older model Inreach then signing up for the professional air time plan. I can now assign an Inreach to someone, they get access to the earthmate app and full use of the unit. When not needed the units can be suspended for $5 a month. I did this so I would have communication with my kids when they take off from camp on the ATV's in a very limited cell coverage area. Figured one Inreach didn't do anyone any good so I might as well have two. I have since loaned it to guys I hunt with that don't have one.
When I decided to do this Cabela's was selling the older Delorme unit at a very reduced price. If you can find a good sale you might be ahead or the same as getting 2 quality radio's. Or maybe you just need a new unit like the mini so you can farm your old one out.

This is a really great idea!

Thanks for this post. I'm going to look into this.

I ended up picking up a second older model Inreach then signing up for the professional air time plan. I can now assign an Inreach to someone, they get access to the earthmate app and full use of the unit. When not needed the units can be suspended for $5 a month. I did this so I would have communication with my kids when they take off from camp on the ATV's in a very limited cell coverage area. Figured one Inreach didn't do anyone any good so I might as well have two. I have since loaned it to guys I hunt with that don't have one.
When I decided to do this Cabela's was selling the older Delorme unit at a very reduced price. If you can find a good sale you might be ahead or the same as getting 2 quality radio's. Or maybe you just need a new unit like the mini so you can farm your old one out.