20" 7mm Rem Mag Barrel With Suppressor Idea

RedBeard22

Well Known Rokslider
I have an old Savage 110 7mm Rem Mag with a 24" sporter barrel that I don't think can be threaded with a shoulder without cutting it down to an unreasonable barrel length. I'm considering a 20" Shilen Savage pre-fit Heavy Sporter or Varmint barrel that'll be threaded for a brake/suppressor host. The idea behind the 20" length is to cut a little weight while also allowing for a suppressor in a slightly shorter package.

Does anyone have experience with 7mm Rem Mag out of a 20" barrel? How is velocity and accuracy?

Edit: The purpose of this rifle is hunting whitetail to elk 500 yards and in.

Last edited:
OP
RedBeard22

RedBeard22

Well Known Rokslider
So I just cut mine down to 20" havnt had a chance to really shoot it much. But the difference between a 24" to 20" is going to be about 100fps difference if I remember right
That's what I've heard/read. I may be wrong, but I consider that to be acceptable.

waspocrew

Make sure your suppressor is rated for that short of a barrel with the 7 RM.

My brother has a 20" 7 SAUM and our good friend has a 22" 28 Nosler. They both shoot incredibly suppressed. You'll definitely enjoy it!

HandgunHTR

Well Known Rokslider
The only thing I will add is my opinion that you should go with a heavy sporter over the varmint profile. Even at 20”, the varmint barrel is pretty heavy.

OP
RedBeard22

RedBeard22

Well Known Rokslider
Make sure your suppressor is rated for that short of a barrel with the 7 RM.

My brother has a 20" 7 SAUM and our good friend has a 22" 28 Nosler. They both shoot incredibly suppressed. You'll definitely enjoy it!
It's a Dead Air Sandman S, so it's rated for 300WM. Also seen it ran full auto (5.56) with no issues.

Last edited:
OP
RedBeard22

RedBeard22

Well Known Rokslider
The only thing I will add is my opinion that you should go with a heavy sporter over the varmint profile. Even at 20”, the varmint barrel is pretty heavy.
How quickly does a heavy sporter heat up?

axeforce6

Well Known Rokslider
On a hunting rifle I don’t think heat is an issue frankly. I can see it not doing as well with heat on load development and longer range days. Have you considered a carbon barrel? It’ll be a lot stiffer and lighter than a heavy sporter.

OP
RedBeard22

RedBeard22

Well Known Rokslider
On a hunting rifle I don’t think heat is an issue frankly. I can see it not doing as well with heat on load development and longer range days. Have you considered a carbon barrel? It’ll be a lot stiffer and lighter than a heavy sporter.
I have, but $900 for a blank and $750 for my gunsmith to fit it is a lot of money I'm not sure I'm willing to pay right now when I can get a threaded Shilen pre-fit steel barrel for <$500.

waspocrew

I have, but $900 for a blank and $750 for my gunsmith to fit it is a lot of money I'm not sure I'm willing to pay right now when I can get a threaded Shilen pre-fit steel barrel for <$500.

I can totally understand the concern on cost. Just for a couple of other options to consider: Preferred barrel blanks will make a carbon savage prefit with muzzle threads for $830. Xcaliber lists their carbon savage prefits at $685. Both are chambered and ready to install with the use of a barrel nut.

The nice thing about a Savage platform is the ability to do the barrel swap at home, rather than paying a gunsmith.

Last edited:

axeforce6

Well Known Rokslider
I paid carbon six $850 for them to make a barrel and put it on my action. It may be something to consider.

OP
RedBeard22

RedBeard22

Well Known Rokslider
I can totally understand the concern on cost. Just for a couple of other options to consider: Preferred barrel blanks will make a carbon savage prefit with muzzle threads for $830. Xcaliber lists their carbon savage prefits at $685. Both are chambered and ready to install with the use of a barrel.

The nice thing about a Savage platform is the ability to do the barrel swap at home, rather than paying a gunsmith.
I don't know whether I should thank you for providing good information or be mad at you for making me want to spend more money.