20" 7mm Rem Mag Barrel With Suppressor Idea

RedBeard22

Lil-Rokslider
I have an old Savage 110 7mm Rem Mag with a 24" sporter barrel that I don't think can be threaded with a shoulder without cutting it down to an unreasonable barrel length. I'm considering a 20" Shilen Savage pre-fit Heavy Sporter or Varmint barrel that'll be threaded for a brake/suppressor host. The idea behind the 20" length is to cut a little weight while also allowing for a suppressor in a slightly shorter package.

Does anyone have experience with 7mm Rem Mag out of a 20" barrel? How is velocity and accuracy?

Edit: The purpose of this rifle is hunting whitetail to elk 500 yards and in.

Last edited:
OP
RedBeard22

RedBeard22

Lil-Rokslider
So I just cut mine down to 20" havnt had a chance to really shoot it much. But the difference between a 24" to 20" is going to be about 100fps difference if I remember right
That's what I've heard/read. I may be wrong, but I consider that to be acceptable.

waspocrew

Lil-Rokslider
Make sure your suppressor is rated for that short of a barrel with the 7 RM.

My brother has a 20" 7 SAUM and our good friend has a 22" 28 Nosler. They both shoot incredibly suppressed. You'll definitely enjoy it!

The only thing I will add is my opinion that you should go with a heavy sporter over the varmint profile. Even at 20”, the varmint barrel is pretty heavy.

OP
RedBeard22

RedBeard22

Lil-Rokslider
Make sure your suppressor is rated for that short of a barrel with the 7 RM.

My brother has a 20" 7 SAUM and our good friend has a 22" 28 Nosler. They both shoot incredibly suppressed. You'll definitely enjoy it!
It's a Dead Air Sandman S, so it's rated for 300WM. Also seen it ran full auto (5.56) with no issues.

Last edited:
OP
RedBeard22

RedBeard22

Lil-Rokslider
The only thing I will add is my opinion that you should go with a heavy sporter over the varmint profile. Even at 20”, the varmint barrel is pretty heavy.
How quickly does a heavy sporter heat up?

axeforce6

WKR
On a hunting rifle I don’t think heat is an issue frankly. I can see it not doing as well with heat on load development and longer range days. Have you considered a carbon barrel? It’ll be a lot stiffer and lighter than a heavy sporter.

OP
RedBeard22

RedBeard22

Lil-Rokslider
On a hunting rifle I don’t think heat is an issue frankly. I can see it not doing as well with heat on load development and longer range days. Have you considered a carbon barrel? It’ll be a lot stiffer and lighter than a heavy sporter.
I have, but $900 for a blank and $750 for my gunsmith to fit it is a lot of money I'm not sure I'm willing to pay right now when I can get a threaded Shilen pre-fit steel barrel for <$500.

waspocrew

Lil-Rokslider
I have, but $900 for a blank and $750 for my gunsmith to fit it is a lot of money I'm not sure I'm willing to pay right now when I can get a threaded Shilen pre-fit steel barrel for <$500.

I can totally understand the concern on cost. Just for a couple of other options to consider: Preferred barrel blanks will make a carbon savage prefit with muzzle threads for $830. Xcaliber lists their carbon savage prefits at $685. Both are chambered and ready to install with the use of a barrel nut.

The nice thing about a Savage platform is the ability to do the barrel swap at home, rather than paying a gunsmith.

Last edited:

axeforce6

WKR
I paid carbon six $850 for them to make a barrel and put it on my action. It may be something to consider.

OP
RedBeard22

RedBeard22

Lil-Rokslider
I can totally understand the concern on cost. Just for a couple of other options to consider: Preferred barrel blanks will make a carbon savage prefit with muzzle threads for $830. Xcaliber lists their carbon savage prefits at $685. Both are chambered and ready to install with the use of a barrel.

The nice thing about a Savage platform is the ability to do the barrel swap at home, rather than paying a gunsmith.
I don't know whether I should thank you for providing good information or be mad at you for making me want to spend more money.