20 gauge recommendations?

CoStick

WKR
Starting to get back into pheasant, ducks and new hobby sporting clays. Having had two rotator cuff surgeries, each shoulder feels great, I think a 20 gauge might be a good idea. The browning silver looked appealing, but I am open to suggestions. Hoping to get one to cover all needs if possible. Thank you

dtrkyman

WKR
Benelli ultra lite would be my first choice for a 20ga. I have an older Belgium made gold, bought it used in the 90s for like 300 bux, my favorite gun I own.

Countless doves and pheasants shot with it, and now some grouse, only ever replaced the bolt buffer.

I like a 26 inch barrel personally.

Franchi has some nice options as well.

OP
C

CoStick

WKR
Sounds like the A400 is the responsible choice. The benelli ultralight looks really nice as well. I not stuck on a semiautomatic, just figured they would have less recoil compared to o/u . Thank you

Bassman

Lil-Rokslider
I've really become a big fan of my 20ga Benelli M2. Benelli and Beretta's are both great guns, comes down to recoil vs. gas driven. I've never liked the recoil pulse on gassers so its recoil (eg. Benelli) for me. My hunting partner has the opposite view.

I'd get a Beretta A400 Xplor 20 ga with Kickoff and 28" barrel. I don't own one, but have a 28 ga Xplor with a 28" barrel (no Kick-off and not needed on the 28 ga)...great little shotgun, but factory ammo is limited and expensive for 28 ga (I reload for it). The 20 ga version is nearly identical and more practical...you are on the right track getting a 20 ga.

I like a gas operated semi-auto for targets...really softens the recoil vs the inertia semi-autos. The Kick-off further softens it. My 12 ga Xcel Black with Kick-off is a very soft shooter but would be a big, heavy long beast to hunt pheasants with....and I wouldn't unless I was down to it as my last shotgun.

I vote for the older FOX doubles I have two one a 20 and the other a 16, classic guns great on the swing. Stay away from the newer ones at least in my opinion, nothing like a old gun in the field.

I love me some 20ga.
Before you listen to people spout their favorite flavor, just know the fit of shotguns has everything to do with your likelihood of success hitting something.
They all feel different and I guarantee you if I was blindfolded and you handed me a Browning O/U and a Beretta O/U, I could tell the difference immediately.
Browning just fits me better.
I carry a 3" 20ga Browning Citori Gran Lighning in the field, which replaced my Browning Silver Hunter.
I love them both...The Silver Hunter (gas auto) is light, quick with a 28"barrel, and reliable. I have no plans to ever get rid of it.
The Citori Gran Lightning is beautiful (I'm a sucker for amazing Walnut), it's nice to be able to shoot two different chokes especially on the SC field, and it's reasonably light for carry.

I have been on the sporting clays field when my friends with their super-amazing $2000 inertia guns were bumming ammo from other people because their shotty wouldn't cycle the light loads.

Go try different shotguns on for size and fit and then pick the one you like.

A beautiful O/U AND a nice gas auto are the choices I made.

OP
C

CoStick

WKR
It seems with the more modern ammo a 28 gauge might do what I am looking for as well. Any experience vs 20 gauge ?

Biggie

FNG
It seems with the more modern ammo a 28 gauge might do what I am looking for as well. Any experience vs 20 gauge ?
For the sake of continued ammo availability I'd stick with a 20. Heck, 20 is even hard enough to find lately that I picked up a 12 gauge last year.

Holocene

WKR
20 gauge gas semi-auto will be nicest on your shoulder, especially if you intend to do any high-volume shooting like sporting clays. One idea is to add a weighted end cap from Briley for further recoil reduction and put a little weight in the buttstock if you need to balance things out. Can't do this with inertia guns as it can affect cycling with lighter loads.

Good candidates are one already mentioned:
  • Browning/Winchester guns (internally very similar) like Winchester SX4 (or an SX3 but people are charging stupid prices for them), Browning Gold, Browning Silver
  • Beretta A400 (newer gun)
  • Beretta A391 or A390 (older gun so hard to find)
Ultimately, you'll want to shoulder/shoot these guns to see what fits you best. The newer guns on this list have shims available to adjust drop and cast, which is super important for shooting comfort and accuracy. Something to consider.

was able to test out the Benelli 28 gauge (specifically the ultralight 26") this spring and was blown away. Picked it up and shot a 24 & 25 at the trap house and then shot a 47 on the sporting clay course.

And these will knock down anything you need :