20 gauge recommendations?

Macintosh

WKR
agree with those that say to decide based on fit--that's by far my biggest consideration. The autos with shims are great, although I prefer an O/U, and beretta along with most of the italian-made brands fits me hands-down better than browning. For the uses you described my own preference would be to stick with a full-size (i.e. NOT "ultralight" model) 20ga simply to have enough heft to dampen recoil and add shootability, and massively larger ammo and component availability compared to a 28. IME a 28 will do what you want but is a better second gun than primary especially if you hunt anywhere nontoxic shot is mandated--there are some well-known pheasant areas with that requirement, its not just a waterfowl thing. Nice thing about a double is zero issues with cycling lighter loads if recoil is an issue. They are a bit more expensive, but to me I can get a slightly heavier gun that still handles faster than most autoloaders--that's the best of both worlds. Dont write off sticking with a 12ga either, you'd have the benefit of ammo and component availability from any mom and pop hardware store and much better nontox selection where its required, and can still use 20-gauge equivalent loads for anything you want--several manufacturers make regular 1oz 12ga clays loads which are also great for a lot of bird hunting (or even lighter if you reload, I shot tens of thousands of 3/4oz 12ga handloads for years at clays with less recoil fatigue and no feeling of being handicapped by it).
if you really get into sporting clays you'll probably have a 9-10lb dedicated clays gun at some point anyway. Ask me how I know!

Holocene

WKR
+1 to Macintosh's suggestion to still consider a 12 gauge. With an O/U, Maxus, or A400 platform you should be able to still shoot 7/8 oz sporting clay loads with no issues. Those loads with a 7-8 pound gun will produce less recoil than a standard 7/8 oz 20 gauge load in some of the ultralight Benellis etc. that folks have mentioned.

Ultimately, choose the gun that fits your frame and shooting style best. For sporting clays, most people will do better with a heavier gun to control whip on fast crossers. I don't know how anyone shoots the little light guns well for serious clay shooting. They are indeed a niche item.

FLS

WKR
I’ve had almost everything mentioned above. My favorite semiauto 20 is a Remington 11-87. too bad they’re not made anymore. Steel framed gun with a narrow comb. Fits my fat face and shoots where I look. I’ve killed a mountain of ducks and doves and smashed a ton of clays with that little gun. Second would be a Bereta AL 390/391. You’ll have to find used, but they will last forever. Super soft shooting. Beretta should have quit with that series IMO. 28 inch barrels min and 30 is better if you are a serious clay shooter.

OP
C

CoStick

WKR
Thank you for all the help, I picked up a browning silver field for a good price. Historically shot a BPS, so hopefully it fits me as well.

joel

FNG
I love me some 20ga.
Before you listen to people spout their favorite flavor, just know the fit of shotguns has everything to do with your likelihood of success hitting something.
They all feel different and I guarantee you if I was blindfolded and you handed me a Browning O/U and a Beretta O/U, I could tell the difference immediately.
Browning just fits me better.
I carry a 3" 20ga Browning Citori Gran Lighning in the field, which replaced my Browning Silver Hunter.
I love them both...The Silver Hunter (gas auto) is light, quick with a 28"barrel, and reliable. I have no plans to ever get rid of it.
The Citori Gran Lightning is beautiful (I'm a sucker for amazing Walnut), it's nice to be able to shoot two different chokes especially on the SC field, and it's reasonably light for carry.

I have been on the sporting clays field when my friends with their super-amazing $2000 inertia guns were bumming ammo from other people because their shotty wouldn't cycle the light loads.

Go try different shotguns on for size and fit and then pick the one you like.

A beautiful O/U AND a nice gas auto are the choices I made.
Fit is everything....we are all built a little different and some guns when thrown to shoulder have a nice sight line with no neck adjustment or squirming around.

pparris3

FNG
Citori, Benellie Ethos, or Benellie SBEIII (ive heard SBEIII in 20 ga is a gamechanger)

I just picked up a SBE 3 in 20ga 3 weeks ago. When I patterned it it was 5-6" left. I switched the the cast shim to the left one and got it to be 2-3" left. I took it back to Scheels figuring they would send it in to be looked at but they practically insisted that I pick out a new one and they would return this one as a defect.

I ended up going with a Beretta A400 Explorer in 20ga., with tiger striped wood. Patterned it and it is about 2" left out of the box. When I get a chance to switch the cast shim to the left one I should be right on. For the little I have gotten to shoot the A400, I really like it better than the SBE 3 Especially with Turkey loads.

If break action, Beretta Silver Pigeon. One you shoot that work of art, you'll never go back!

If semi-action, Beretta A400 as previously suggested. You won't find a smoother autoloader!

pparris3

FNG
If break action, Beretta Silver Pigeon. One you shoot that work of art, you'll never go back!

If semi-action, Beretta A400 as previously suggested. You won't find a smoother autoloader!
What length barrel do you like on the Silver Pigeon in 20Ga? I only have extensive experience with 12ga in various barrel lengths.

arock

Lil-Rokslider
I like my Benelli M2 a lot. Didn't think I would dig a plastic gun but its light, the trigger pull is perfect, came with a nice set of choke tubes and it recoils softer then I fart. One of my buddies has the Franchi version of that and its a nice shooter as well.

I'd like to add a 28 gauge o\u at some point but I think you'd want to shoot a 20 for ducks.

Macintosh

WKR
What length barrel do you like on the Silver Pigeon in 20Ga? I only have extensive experience with 12ga in various barrel lengths.

30" if you can find em, especially if any clays are on the menu. If it's entirely an open-country/clays gun I would not be at all afraid of 32" tubes. 28" is easier to find on a field gun, I would not go any shorter than this even in extremely thick brush--26" tubes are really whippy and difficult to control for most people, and the overall length of the gun is still quite short with longer barrels. Keep in mind that the length of a double gun will be similar to the length of an auto or pump with a 4" shorter barrel, but in a reasonable quality gun will have less weight out front. Best-handling gun I ever shot much was a 10lb perazzi with 34" lighter-weight fixed-choke barrels. Due to the distribution of the weight it was extremely STABLE but also exceptionally FAST handling. That's the combination I'm looking for in a shotgun, and I think more important the lighter the gun is. Assuming the barrels in whatever gun you are looking for arent super heavy the way some of the entry-level doubles are, those longer tubes really help to get that balance.

Last edited:
I like the 28" 20 ga barrel set on my 686 20/28 two barrel set gun. The 28 ga barrel set is 26" barrels and I don't shoot it as well as the the longer 20 ga barrels and rarely even shoot them. Good luck, the Silver Pigeons are nice reliable, excellent carrying and shooting guns. Bought mine 21 years ago.

I agree with the others here. My barrel is 28-inch and it serves me well. I've used my Silver Pigeon 20 ga. to hunt everything from ducks to pheasants and chukars. You really don't need a 12 ga. for any of those!

49ereric

WKR
410 with those spendy TSS #9’s for ducks should be easy on the shoulder.