20° to 60° week long deer hunt: can't decide on top insulation.

Macchina

Lil-Rokslider
I have a early November hunt in the Northern Midwest that usually has rain, a day or 2 of snow, and sometimes a sunny day in the 60's. Nights are around freezing. We pack in 8 miles so I don't want to bring too much.

The hunt is all still hunting in old timber and swamps. I'm thinking about the following for my top insulation:

>Merino T-shirt and long sleeve tee to mix match for base.
>Heavyweight First Lite Merino zip sweater
>700 fill down vest
>eVent rain hard shell

In the past I brought a standard down puffy but when walking in the rain it was too much with a hard shell on top but perfect for dry weather. Anyone run only a vest instead of a puffy jacket?

You might try synthetic insulation that would be more breathable for hiking. Something like the Kuiu kenai series. For me 20 degrees is too cold for just a down vest.

My KUIU Kenai has been phenomenal and when moving it has full length side/pit zips which vent very well. Not a stand-alone for warmth however like a super down of fl chamberlain or something would be.

OP
M

Macchina

Lil-Rokslider
Are you guys recommending no vest and bring a puffy instead? I hate to continually put on and take off a puffy and hoped I could just leave a vest on more often.

Another vote for the KUIU Kenai jacket. It’s fantastic for stop and go hunting where you’re calling, glassing, or stalking for short periods of time, followed by climbing hard.

Below 40 degrees I can hike in mine for an extended period with the pit zips and chest zipper opened up over a lightweight merino top without overheating.

It does need a shell over it to help keep the heat in when you’re sitting for extended periods, especially if it’s windy.

I hunt the same temps. I get a lot of versatility out of a puffy like the uncomphagre or Sitka kelvin lite. I have not found an insulation layer that I can hike in without sweating. Even in 20* I need to shed layers and vent to dump heat on the move.

Catahoula

WKR
I run a vest, FL Sawtooth hybrid. I’ll run a jacket over that to peel off while walking in cooler temps. But, still hunting or tree stand hunts with little or no movement.... I’ll get cold in temps 50 and less.