2008 FJ Cruiser - Pull the Trigger?

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I'll offer my 2007 FJ ownership experience even though others have commented on similar problems/issues. Mine are in no particular order. It's a very capable off-road vehicle in stock form, but I sold it after 8 months due to the below.

• If you regularly have more than 2 people in it, the suicide doors are a PITA.
  • Suicide door windows do not open limiting circulation in the back.
  • Wait until you have to replace the windshield. I had to have mine replaced in '07. It was covered by insurance and they paid $1,200. Yepper, you read that right, 12 BF's.
  • No lid on center console.
  • Requires premium gas. This one always burned my azz more than a 3 foot flame and premium was only 30 cents a gallon more at the time. Now it's 50+ cents more and none of our cars require it.
  • Not only the above, but MPG was horrid.
  • A few other things I did not like about it that I cannot remember.

If you're going to spend that kind of money for a car with 200k (I could not but YMMV), I would look into a 3rd gen (1996-2002) 4Runner. All the issues I mentioned above are remedied with my T4R.

I bought an '01 T4R in 2018 (good timing I must say) and it is fantastic. Their T4R3G 4WD drivetrains will easily last 300-400k miles with decent maintenance. Mine has 180k and I expect to drive it until I can't drive any longer.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Eddie
Great Info. The premium gas is a big red flag. Why in the world do they need premium?? Any other FJ owners using premium?

The windshield is currently cracked, so there goes $1200.

How good is your T4R offroad compared to the FJ?

mthayr

WKR

FJ Cruiser forums are a great place to research before and after you own an FJ. If you have specific questions, feel free to PM me.

'07 Sun Fusion 4x4 A/T - OME 885/895, White Knuckle Off-road Sliders, Borla Exhaust, HWMS bumper w/ Smittybilt XRC Synthetic 9500# winch, Lighting by KC, & 285/75R16 General Grabbers

handwerk

WKR
I'd also point you to a 4Runner instead, more room, very capable off road and if you buy the right vintage they will likely run a long time, my friends 2000 4R just turned 400,000 miles w/o any major issues and it's still running strong.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I'd also point you to a 4Runner instead, more room, very capable off road and if you buy the right vintage they will likely run a long time, my friends 2000 4R just turned 400,000 miles w/o any major issues and it's still running strong.
What are the good 4 runners for off road?

Grumman

WKR
I ran regular grade in my FJ sometimes. It seemed like the fuel mileage dropped to where the cost savings were a wash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mthayr

WKR
Requires premium gas. This one always burned my azz more than a 3 foot flame and premium was only 30 cents a gallon more at the time. Now it's 50+ cents more and none of our cars require it.
Just FYI - there was a service bulletin released shortly after the FJs were initially released that the Premium fuel requirement was "for optimum performance". Using regular grade fuel will only result in the engine generating a bit less power.
Premium-vs-Regular.jpeg

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Great Info. The premium gas is a big red flag. Why in the world do they need premium?? Any other FJ owners using premium?

I did not use my FJ much off road given my limited ownership so cannot comment, but I can say my T4R is terrific for my off road purposes like hitting the desert often to shoot as well as elk (winters hunts for snow and mud and other winter like weather) and javelina hunting where the terrain is somewhat gnarly.

Good luck,

Eddie

colersu22

WKR
Had one for a few years about 10 years ago. It was my wife's daily driver, and due to a job change involving a longer commute we sold it for something more fuel efficient. At the time, I remember being concerned about how much I was going to be spending on tires and fuel, not to mention parts in the future because they weren't making them anymore. Man that thing was a lot of fun to drive though, and I wish I had been in a little better position at the time to suck it up and have kept it. I would love to still have it. It felt bomb proof, rubber floors and everything, and was a blast to drive in the snow and off road. Still my favorite vehicle this day as far as oil change goes. The oil filter could be found right at the top of the block when you opened the hood, and even had a drip lip around the threaded port. Not like my truck where I'm going to spill oil every time no matter what when getting the filter off.

A truck for truck oil changes or any under the vehicle is use a gallon zip lock bag that way it catches the oil and you don’t get covered. I do this on my trucks and it’s nice to not get diesel oil all over the floor or my arm.

$runners are great for car seats and also capable off-road. Sky is the limit to what you can do with them. I went from 05' Taco to 13 4Runner to 16 Sequoias. 4R was a great vehicle and would get one again if I tire of the Sequoia. Side note-We had a FJ at work and I hated the visibility sitting or driving in that thing. Thats a no-buy for me under any circumstances, especially if car seats are involved. Single guys with disposable income may feel otherwise.

handwerk

WKR
we have a 2016 and my son has a 2000, very different 4runners but they've been great vehicles for us.
Just spend a little time on this forum and you'll find a lot of good info.

BLJ

WKR
@treillw. Yes. 2 car seats. 3 wouldn’t work. At least not for us. And the car seats we had were smaller than the ones one today.
Also, never ran premium gas. Usually 15-16 mpg. Ours was a 6 speed manual.

WKR
In 2016, I traded a Jeep Wrangler for an FJ. Seemed like a good idea at the time but before long I missed the Jeep. But I couldn’t afford to turn around and trade again so I had to drive that FJ for a while.

Today I drove that same FJ onto a dealer’s lot and drove a Jeep Wrangler off the lot. It was like coming home.

So no, I wouldn’t by the FJ, I’d look for a Wrangler. But some people are just Jeep people and some just aren’t. I just am.

Lawnboi

WKR
I just traded in a 2012 fj with 140 k on it, for what I though was a ridiculous amount. Bought the vehicle new and it cost me under 1k a year for the 9 years I owned it. It was a problem free vehicle, though I wouldn’t buy another.

The Tacoma I traded it for required a deposit as soon as they knew it was coming months out. Nothing on the lots.

EastMT

WKR
Considering buying a 2008 FJ Cruiser with 190k miles on it for $13k. Seems to be a pretty good deal, but that is a lot of miles. They should "run forever", until you get one that is a turd and I am an adept turd-finder. Motor and tranny sound good. Shifts smooth. 4wd is very smooth. As far as I can tell, it should have a good bit of life left in it.

There is a leak on the rear side of the transfer case. Seems that the seal at this flange is bad. Anyone know how hard it is to fix?

What do you think? Would you buy it? Any better deals out there? Don't need a new car really - just came across this one and it would be an upgrade.

Thanks!
View attachment 369537

I haven’t heard of a ton of transmission problems with the autos, but the 6 speed manual had some real issues with the cast aluminum bell housing from the early years. I put 3 transmissions in by 36k, got frustrated because they were putting the same type bell housing back in and warranty was about up. I bailed but it was a really fun ride, wasn’t real happy about the situation.

Everything else was great, and a 4” 44mag fits in the glove box on the dash perfect!

505Wapiti

WKR
How bad is it getting the car seat in?
My wife has been driving a 2012 FJ since 2013 and did it with both boys in car seats. She got used to the suicide doors with small kids. She wouldn’t let me get rid of that vehicle for anything now. The blind spots are easily mitigated with adding some smaller stick on mirrors to the side mirrors. No blind spots in ours now. As for the shorter front windshield and looking up, that is a slight problem for me as I’m a bit taller but it is a non issue for my wife. Great reliable vehicle and one of my favorites I’ve ever owned. I plan on keeping it forever.

Last edited:
OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
In 2016, I traded a Jeep Wrangler for an FJ. Seemed like a good idea at the time but before long I missed the Jeep. But I couldn’t afford to turn around and trade again so I had to drive that FJ for a while.

Today I drove that same FJ onto a dealer’s lot and drove a Jeep Wrangler off the lot. It was like coming home.

So no, I wouldn’t by the FJ, I’d look for a Wrangler. But some people are just Jeep people and some just aren’t. I just am.

I really would like a 4 door Rubicon - crazy expensive though. Just came across the FJ at a decent price and thought they were similar.

What Jeep did you get? Congrats.

I really would like a 4 door Rubicon - crazy expensive though. Just came across the FJ at a decent price and thought they were similar.

What Jeep did you get? Congrats.
FWIW my wife has a 2018 4 door wrangler sport and we are not at all impressed with it as a daily driver. They're cool looking, hold their value and are good off road but other than that it really seems like you dont get much for what you pay. We paid the exact same price as my f150 and its almost featureless in comparison. No backup camera, small gas tank, bad gas mileage, small flat windshield that cracks easily, less interior room, low towing capacity, no rear e-locker, much less comfortable to drive on road or off road, carpet on the floors is junk material barely held in, all the exterior black trim is already faded bad, bluetooth interface sucks, thieves can open your hood since it doesnt lock and short the battery to unlock the doors and to top it off the fog light switch is acting up now and if you accidentally turn on her fog lights they will not turn off lol. None of that with my truck. The rubicons are surely nicer with way more features but they also seem way overpriced to me. I doubt we will ever buy another jeep id rather get another truck or a 4runner or new bronco

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
FWIW my wife has a 2018 4 door wrangler sport and we are not at all impressed with it as a daily driver. They're cool looking, hold their value and are good off road but other than that it really seems like you dont get much for what you pay. We paid the exact same price as my f150 and its almost featureless in comparison. No backup camera, small gas tank, bad gas mileage, small flat windshield that cracks easily, less interior room, low towing capacity, no rear e-locker, much less comfortable to drive on road or off road, carpet on the floors is junk material barely held in, all the exterior black trim is already faded bad, bluetooth interface sucks, thieves can open your hood since it doesnt lock and short the battery to unlock the doors and to top it off the fog light switch is acting up now and if you accidentally turn on her fog lights they will not turn off lol. None of that with my truck. The rubicons are surely nicer with way more features but they also seem way overpriced to me. I doubt we will ever buy another jeep id rather get another truck or a 4runner or new bronco
They definitely are full of "jeep things" that don't make sense. They surely hold their value though. I almost bought one six years ago and looking at them now, they cost more than they did then. I can't believe this market. Disgusting. Makes me want to boycott everything lol.

fmyth

WKR

You can get the windshield replaced for under $300. Keep the windshield persons card handy. FJ's have flat nearly vertical windshields that like to catch rocks. Had the same issue with my Hummer.