2008 FJ Cruiser - Pull the Trigger?

WKR
I really would like a 4 door Rubicon - crazy expensive though. Just came across the FJ at a decent price and thought they were similar.

What Jeep did you get? Congrats.
A 2 door Wrangler Willys. My first vehicle was a CJ7, so I was going for the retro-Jeep look and feel. Didn’t want a lot of fancy stuff.

My wife has a Cherokee we can use when a more comfortable vehicle is called for. This Willys is my toy and hunting rig.

They definitely are full of "jeep things" that don't make sense. They surely hold their value though. I almost bought one six years ago and looking at them now, they cost more than they did then. I can't believe this market. Disgusting. Makes me want to boycott everything lol.
Even when we bought my wifes in 2019 we were literally only gonna save a few grand if we bought a use one with 50k+ miles so we bought new, that was a no brainer. I got my truck like 6 months earlier for the same exact price at 38.5k, which was 10k off the sticker price by going through costco/end of year savings and i feel like i got super lucky, didn't get a lemon, almost 60k now with not a single issue. It felt expensive at the time but its a steal in retropect. Spent a month with the dealer and made them get me the exact one i wanted and slowly modified it perfectly for my needs of hunting/construction. My brother in law got a similar ford one month after me built in a different plant and has had several issues with it.. Going through costco with jeep saved us a whopping $500 and they have the same no deals attitude as toyota dealers seem to due to demand. And this is of course pre covid, everything is a total rip off now! Lol good luck sir, its definitely not a good time to need a new vehicle

Attachments

• 20220120_091629.jpg
    20220120_091629.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220120_091652.jpg
    20220120_091652.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220120_091820.jpg
    20220120_091820.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220120_092325.jpg
    20220120_092325.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 13
i thought about buying one,loved the ground clearance but the blind spots killed the deal for me,bought a taco ,instead.
loved my toyotas ,1970 landcruiser station wagon, 4runners

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Even when we bought my wifes in 2019 we were literally only gonna save a few grand if we bought a use one with 50k+ miles so we bought new, that was a no brainer. I got my truck like 6 months earlier for the same exact price at 38.5k, which was 10k off the sticker price by going through costco/end of year savings and i feel like i got super lucky, didn't get a lemon, almost 60k now with not a single issue. It felt expensive at the time but its a steal in retropect. Spent a month with the dealer and made them get me the exact one i wanted and slowly modified it perfectly for my needs of hunting/construction. My brother in law got a similar ford one month after me built in a different plant and has had several issues with it.. Going through costco with jeep saved us a whopping $500 and they have the same no deals attitude as toyota dealers seem to due to demand. And this is of course pre covid, everything is a total rip off now! Lol good luck sir, its definitely not a good time to need a new vehicle
Looks very nice. What on earth kind of camper cap is that?? Never saw one.

Looks very nice. What on earth kind of camper cap is that?? Never saw one.
Thanks! Its just an ARE, the lift struts and tent system is seperate and can go on any camper shell far as i know and i absolutely love it. Its called the ez topperlift, i have a 6.5ft bed so i got their contractor tent kit with it but all the shortbed/taco guys can get the weekender one which utilizes the tailgate space too when its down for extra length. I dont own either but you can supposedly drive dirt bikes and 4 wheelers into the bed then lower it on top. Makes it very easy to load my truck up with more stuff and i can access stuff in the front via the side windows. All the windows have screens too

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Thanks! Its just an ARE, the lift struts and tent system is seperate and can go on any camper shell far as i know and i absolutely love it. Its called the ez topperlift, i have a 6.5ft bed so i got their contractor tent kit with it but all the shortbed/taco guys can get the weekender one which utilizes the tailgate space too when its down for extra length. I dont own either but you can supposedly drive dirt bikes and 4 wheelers into the bed then lower it on top. Makes it very easy to load my truck up with more stuff and i can access stuff in the front via the side windows. All the windows have screens too
Can you drive with it lifted?? 😳😳😳

Can you drive with it lifted?? 😳😳😳
Thats everyones first question haha. Im sure you could but they dont recommend doing it while its more than halfway up at high speeds or off road or in high winds. Common sense applies here. Ive done it halfway on the freeway loaded to the gills going 70 and it was totally fine. I think it can lift 1200lbs, the struts are heavy duty for sure. Id be much more concerned about the fiberglass lip breaking on the canopy than the lift system. In a perfect world id get that RSI smartcap but it was not available when i got my truck and doesnt seem to be worth the upgrade for the money. Looks like a way better topper tho

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Thats everyones first question haha. Im sure you could but they dont recommend doing it while its more than halfway up at high speeds or off road or in high winds. Common sense applies here. Ive done it halfway on the freeway loaded to the gills going 70 and it was totally fine. I think it can lift 1200lbs, the struts are heavy duty for sure. Id be much more concerned about the fiberglass lip breaking on the canopy than the lift system. In a perfect world id get that RSI smartcap but it was not available when i got my truck and doesnt seem to be worth the upgrade for the money. Looks like a way better topper tho
Kinda like following that person with the ratchet strap over the king matress going 80 on the freeway?? :ROFLMAO:

Kinda like following that person with the ratchet strap over the king matress going 80 on the freeway?? :ROFLMAO:
Oh yeah buddy, i had a shitload of shelving strapped to the roof too i bet everyone steered clear of me haha. Not as bad as some of those scrap metal or wood pallet guys ive seen tho. They are next level crazy!

Titan_Bow

WKR
I always liked the look of the FJ, but man that’s an awful lot of money for something with that many miles. I am a fan of smaller SUVs for a hunting rig, especially if you hunt solo. I had a Nissan Xterra that I had all intentions of driving till it would not go any longer, but a little mule deer buck decided otherwise when he stepped out in front of it last year. They totaled the Xterra, so I bought a brand new 4Runner to replace it. It’s been a great ride so far, and plan to drive it as long as they keep selling gasoline for it LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my mom has over 240k original miles on hers and she drives it all over the sierra nevadas with no major repairs. auto. I can't remember what year but i think it's close to the same. she uses premium and is diligent on maintenance. family friend for a mechanic helps too