201 Level Tikka Rifle Build

OP
Jaden Bales
Yea, it seems like the WSM may be the way to go on a Tikka platform because of the COAL restrictions, but I’m an Eastern guy who has grown up thinking the Win Mag is the ultimate western hunting caliber.
I'd say you're correct - hard to beat the 300 Win Mag for a do-all western caliber. I'd go WSM If you plan on getting Mike's billet-mag deal so you can run longer COAL. If you don't plan on reloading...not sure it'd be that necessary but 🤷‍♂️

I'd say you're correct - hard to beat the 300 Win Mag for a do-all western caliber. I'd go WSM If you plan on getting Mike's billet-mag deal so you can run longer COAL. If you don't plan on reloading...not sure it'd be that necessary but
It's not looking like those mags are for sale anymore, they've been out of stock for the better part of a year now.
I've got money to throw at a couple if they do become available again!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
Jaden Bales
It's not looking like those mags are for sale anymore, they've been out of stock for the better part of a year now.
I've got money to throw at a couple if they do become available again!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Hopefully I'm not overstepping with this info, but I was texting Mike the other day and he said he's so swamped right now he's not taking many (if any) other orders for custom gun work. I'm not sure where along the to-do list the mags are at, but I probably wouldn't plan on any before spring bear season.

I read your article about your rifle set up and caliber choice. You went with the exact brand, model, and caliber that I have been thinking about as a Western Big Game compliment to my old Woodstocked Savage M110 in 270 Win. I know that the 270 has taken every game animal in North America, but wanted a second rifle to set up and use after 20 years of the same rifle.
I wasn't sure of the recoil on that lightweight rifle in a Magnum caliber without a brake. I am not recoil shy, but I did wonder about that. I couldn't find someone to let me shoot one to find out.
I was going to pull the trigger and get one in 2019, but I found a deal on a new Savage M110 Long Range Hunter in 300 WSM. I paid $565 and saved over $300 on the rifle. It's a tad heavy being 8.4 lbs empty and no scope, but will make a great platform for me. I also got a Swagger QD42 bipod that I can take on and off in a snap. I can't wait to try it out west some day soon.

OP
Jaden Bales
I read your article about your rifle set up and caliber choice. You went with the exact brand, model, and caliber that I have been thinking about as a Western Big Game compliment to my old Woodstocked Savage M110 in 270 Win. I know that the 270 has taken every game animal in North America, but wanted a second rifle to set up and use after 20 years of the same rifle.
I wasn't sure of the recoil on that lightweight rifle in a Magnum caliber without a brake. I am not recoil shy, but I did wonder about that. I couldn't find someone to let me shoot one to find out.
I was going to pull the trigger and get one in 2019, but I found a deal on a new Savage M110 Long Range Hunter in 300 WSM. I paid $565 and saved over $300 on the rifle. It's a tad heavy being 8.4 lbs empty and no scope, but will make a great platform for me. I also got a Swagger QD42 bipod that I can take on and off in a snap. I can't wait to try it out west some day soon.
Nice man! I figure you can put that money you saved into ammo or a nice scope for sure!

I figure it's better to have a heavier rifle if you're not running a brake or can on the end of it. Have you gotten to shoot it yet?

I haven't shot any 300's without a brake for quite a few years now. Last time was my buddy's 300 RUM and I knew I didn't want to keep doing that all day, so I made sure to put the brake on there.

Nice man! I figure you can put that money you saved into ammo or a nice scope for sure!

I figure it's better to have a heavier rifle if you're not running a brake or can on the end of it. Have you gotten to shoot it yet?

I haven't shot any 300's without a brake for quite a few years now. Last time was my buddy's 300 RUM and I knew I didn't want to keep doing that all day, so I made sure to put the brake on there.
Yes that was the reasoning behind me going with it when I did back in the summer of 2019. Some folks like a heavier platform when they go with a Magnum caliber. It assists the muzzle brake in taming the felt recoil. It feels like a 270 Win with the brake and additional weight. I have carried it up the hills beside my house in WV and the additional weight vs my 270 is not too much more noticeable.
I have shot it, it seems to like the 180 grain range pills both monos like Hornady GMX, Federal with Berger Hybrid Hunter 185s, and even the 200 grain ELD-X. I tried reloading some 165 grain Accubonds but with inconsistent results. I have 180 grain Accubonds and 150 grain Barnes TTSXs to try.
My scope is a Redfield Revenge Hunter 4-12x42 that my brother gave me and it works well enough, even though I would like a 4.5 -14x40 Leupold VX 3i CDS ZL to put on it eventually. I sadly haven't stretched its legs yet. Hopefully I can this year.
I thought about the RUM, but that's a true punisher same with the 300 Weatherby Mag, and 30 Nosler.

Great build and solid advice. I’ve got a Tikka CTR in .260 REM that I bought years ago to get into shooting longer ranges and it’s a great rifle and a fantastic base for a future semi-custom project. Just thought I’d point out one positive and one negative, in terms of customization, to Tikka short actions that you didn’t mention:

Positive: The Tikka “short action” is actually more like a ‘medium’ action as it’s stretched out a tiny bit; and the Tikka magazines accommodate a longer COAL than any other short action. This is a HUGE advantage if you want to try and use longer bullets (i.e. Berger 156gr EOL) in something like a 6.5cm, .260rem, etc that would, otherwise, require you to manually feed those longer bullets. That little bit of extra length sure does come in handy!

Negative: Tikka is notoriously ANNOYING for not selling replacement bolts and finding a spare Tikka bolt is harder than finding you favorite ammo on a store shelf these days. So, you’re pretty much relegated to ONE bolt face, limiting your options for future caliber changes. The only way to get a spare bolt is to purchase a second donor rifle and, at that price, you are in the cost range of almost any custom action. So, when picking out which caliber to purchase, just keep this in mind - there won’t be any running to Midway for a spare bolt on a Tikka. That’s why my .260 is still a .260 instead of a 6.5PRC (which it would be PERFECT for) - my fickle a$$ is to indecisive to have the bolt face opened to a magnum because the rifle is an absolute tack-driver. Haha! One day maybe I’ll shoot out the barrel and it’ll make the choice a little easier.

Hope these points help someone out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bought a second bolt from MidSouth Shooters Supply. they are in stock ever few months. I have both standard and magnum faces.

Also Long Rifles Inc is starting to manufacture replacement bolts. Standard and magnum bolts are availible now, plans on a .223 bolt face for the future.

OP
Jaden Bales
Yes that was the reasoning behind me going with it when I did back in the summer of 2019. Some folks like a heavier platform when they go with a Magnum caliber. It assists the muzzle brake in taming the felt recoil. It feels like a 270 Win with the brake and additional weight. I have carried it up the hills beside my house in WV and the additional weight vs my 270 is not too much more noticeable.
I have shot it, it seems to like the 180 grain range pills both monos like Hornady GMX, Federal with Berger Hybrid Hunter 185s, and even the 200 grain ELD-X. I tried reloading some 165 grain Accubonds but with inconsistent results. I have 180 grain Accubonds and 150 grain Barnes TTSXs to try.
My scope is a Redfield Revenge Hunter 4-12x42 that my brother gave me and it works well enough, even though I would like a 4.5 -14x40 Leupold VX 3i CDS ZL to put on it eventually. I sadly haven't stretched its legs yet. Hopefully I can this year.
I thought about the RUM, but that's a true punisher same with the 300 Weatherby Mag, and 30 Nosler.
Oh man. Yeah you hit it all here.

Funny you say it liked the 180s, because I ended up running the GMX's and the rifle really shoots em well. I'm playing with other ammo this offseason...I stocked up on some different components for reloading before the election.

OP
Jaden Bales
Figured I’d provide an update - just tossed on a Magpul bipod (a Made in USA/Wyoming company) which added 12 oz.

Total weight is still well under 9 lbs (8 lbs 5 oz).

I haven’t been shooting the rifle as well as I’d like to be shooting off my backpack so this should help tighten things up.