2012 archery Sheldon goat from NV

velvetfvr

WKR
Here is a pic of a kid I know that shot his first archery kill and it was in the Sheldon. Shot at 33 yards. Green scores 82.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343860200.074485.jpg

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
Nice, looks like some real good mass and cutters on that goat! Congrats to the hunter

2rocky

WKR
Was the Sheldon where Mike Eastman was hunting and couldn't find a trophy goat? He never mentioned it but that was the feeling I got...

I had a first season rifle tag on the Sheldon in 2010 and hunted it for 9 days. The last day was sitting water 4 miles off of the road. I hiked so many miles to remote glassing points that my low cut hikers were thrown in the trash after the hunt. The best goat we saw was in the 80" range and I went home empty handed. The feral horses were everywhere that year and the range clearly has been heavily impacted by their presence. I heard they had a round-up of the horses after the hunt, but I am not sure how much that reduced the horse numbers. That was my third hunt on the Sheldon (two antelope, one deer).

There were two other parties camped where we were camped. One party could not find a goat they wanted to take and also went home empty handed. The other guy finally shot an average 15" buck late in the hunt. He had taken a 90" buck with his muzzleloader in AZ so he knew what a big buck looks like, but that was the best he could find. I know that unit holds some great bucks, but it is certainly not a cake walk.

That is quite an accomplishment for that young guy to take that great buck.