2012 kuiu icon packs

lastcall

Lil-Rokslider
It seems most on here are partial to the Kifaru packs but who is giving the 2012 Kuiu frame and pack a whirl this year? It looks like they made quite a few changes to the system this year. Also the day pack option seems useful given it will weigh about a pound and still be able to haul out a quater. Im about to pull the trigger but just wanted a few thoughts. thanks

I've been really intrigued with them especially their new designs this year! Only reason I went with Kifaru was they are more proven and their ability to haul heavy loads while weighing little had my money sent to them.

Mike

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Yep, I am intrigued by all the innovation, but I will still wait a few years for all the R&D work to get done. I trust my MR and Kifaru packs, I am suspicious of all that new technology and all the bugs that were in the Icons last year; simple things like straps!

Curtis C

WKR
They do look like nice packs, but as others have said the testing and redisign could go on for a few years before they get to their final design. The smaller pack is a good idea IMO.

tstowater

WKR
I have been playing/using a 6000 since April and like it. I am not going to carry anymore than I have to and will generally be hunting with guides so I will not need to carry the kitchen sink. If everyone would wait until someone else buys the product to work out the bugs, then no one would end up buying anything. I am willing to do my part to invest in new products that will need to be updated. If Kifaru, etal made the "best" than there would be no reason for anyone else to get in the market. My only hope is that KUIU will make everyone else take notice and step up to the plate with innovation.

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
I looked at all the high end pack manufacturers including Kuiu and went with Kifaru after Narrowing the field down to Kifaru and MR. No offense to Kuiu (I love their clothes), but it is hard to argue with the experience of Patrick Smith or Dana Gleason when it comes to designing packs.

It seems to me KUIU is combining and revisiting a lot of old pack designs. Personally, I would prefer to see something that is adjustable to the individuals body type that will handle heavier weights a bit more comfortably.

garrenj

FNG
I have the 5000 on pre-order, sounds like it should be shipping next week. Cant wait to give it a go on some multi-day scouting trips before archery season.

I'll make sure to get some reviews up. I don't have experience with the Kifaru packs but do with Badlands and Wilderness Packs. I do know I really like my Kifaru tipi.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I looked at the Icon last year when trying to decide what new pack I should get. I am glad I went with the Kifaru, but that doesn't mean that Kuiu won't have a good pack available soon. I could also see the demand for their clothing eventually putting a hold on the pack design and research.

The only reason I didn't spend the coin on the Icon last year was the fact that the waist belt wouldn't cinch up for me. I have spoken with Brendan over at KUIU and it sounds like the 2012 Icons have a smaller waist on them.

I was THIS close to buying an Icon 6000 before I pulled the trigger on the T1. I had the $ at the time and KNEW that the T1 would fit my needs and would LAST. I didn't have that piece of mind buying the Icon 6000. I will say that we are very lucky to be in the world we are right now. With Kifaru, MR, KUIU, and a whole host of others bringing out newer and better ideas/updated gear every year there are definitely more than one option out there to choose from!

My T1 should ship tomorrow... too bad I'm leaving thursday for a weekend scouting trip and won't be able to break it in! :(

Mike

I currently have a MR NICE with CC but need a larger volume pack for longer trips. If I had all the money in the world, I'd have a KU5200 and one of either the Kifaru T1 or new Kuiu. The primary reason I'm not just getting a 6500 for my NICE is weight.

The KU5200 would be very sufficient for most trips, but I do have a few longer planned out requiring a little larger pack (and potentially very heavy loads). So, probably down to the Standard T1 or Kuiu.

Obviously, not going to find too many reviews on the new 2012 Kuiu yet but would be very interested in the feedback of anyone who has used the Timberline. I'll be looking at the T1: 7,000 cubic inch.

muleman

WKR
I am really on the fence here between getting a 2012 Icon 7000 or a DT 2 with cargo panel. I've waited long enough that I most likely wouldn't receive the Kifaru before two of my main hunts. Where as, in talking with KUIU I could still get one shipped out of the initial shipment if I act fast.

I hadn't seen this review and I know it is for the 2011 Icon so it may not apply to the 2012. One thing that this review lacks is details on why things "sucked" and how big the reviewer is. What do you all think?

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=113602

Eagle

WKR
I would suggest you call Kifaru on the pack. I just ordered a DT3 and it's set to arrive 8-17, so there's a good chance your pack would be done in time as well.

I was torn between the Kuiu 5000 and the DT3. In the end, knowing that the DT3 can for a fact handle heavy weight and knowing that it should have great resale value down the road were the deciding factors. The Kuiu packs look nice, but there's no way to really know how they function, and $500 was too much for me to drop on a relatively unknown pack that could end up doing badly in real world and resale situations.

One other thing with the Kuiu packs, after seeing the detailed photos of the packs, they appear to have a V shape to them, which is not something I want on my back personally. It could have just been the pictures, but the packs appeared to get wider as you got closer to the top of the pack, and that just seems that it could cause an unbalanced, top heavy load even if packed correctly.