2012 Whitetail hunts.....

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
How is going after whitetail this year? And if you are where will you be hunting?

Myself, I will be hunting whitetail here in SD and maybe ND depending on how the seasons are going. The beauty of it is....the place I generally hunt has both good whitetail and mule deer in the area. My tag is good for either and often times what I hunt is depicted by what I am seeing. A couple of years ago I was on a stalk going after a dandy muley when a nice whitetail came across my path and I opted to shoot him. Since then that mule deer has been taunting me and has gotten bigger! I would sure like another crack at him if I see him! But in the same area there are a few whitetail that made it through last years seasons and they are going to be crankers!

Let's hear it!

Hey Jared,

I will be hunting whitetail in Kansas and Missouri this year. I went out to some land i have access to in Kansas and put some cameras out to see what is moving around. I will be checking the cams in about 3 weeks and then will relocate to check a couple other areas. I drew my tag in Kansas and just recieved it in the mail last week. I am working out here in Missouri for the summer so have been meeting some of the locals and trying to gain some access where i can. Good luck!!

Cody

I'll be in West Texas and Central Indiana for rut Buck hunts. I've also got a little sweet spot for early archery in GA, usually fill the freezer early.

J-Rod,

I get the option for either species/either sex in Kansas. I grew up there and my 16th birthday present was a Lifetime License!!!! The JOYS!!!!! So I get one buck tag plus two extra doe tags and the option for up to 5 more landowner tags.

IAHNTR

WKR
Chasing (actually waiting on) them in Iowa again this year. Arrowed my first buck last year (142") and hope to beat it this year. Can't wait to climb into the stand.

MOHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Live in SW MO but hunting SE KS. Picked up a lifetime tag while living there after college - best investment I ever made (and I'm a stockbroker!).

Hunt public land but it holds some good deer. Plan to commit a week in Nov. before rifle season shuts em down.

Found 3 new spots last year. Went to check on them last weekend and man do they look different. Vegetation everywhere. I never would have picked them now, which is why it pays to scout right after season.

They're all on beans right now. Watched a good one the other night. 9 right now but I think he's gonna be an 11. He was on public. Shhhh.

Matt Palmquist

Lil-Rokslider
I am in the same boat as Evan, and so far, my summer scouting is turning up multiple good whitetails and few mule deer so I will probably be focusing on whitetails this year. Hung a new set yesterday that I am excited about. Also, was just driving back into town around 3:00 this afternoon and saw a dandy 8 pointer...would push 150 right now and has some growing to do. Might have to do a little research to try to get permission;)

IAHNTR

WKR
How is it gaining permission in other states? In Iowa it totally depends on the location. SE or NE Iowa good luck. I'm in east central and it can be a little tough, but if you stick to it you'll get some ground. Might not have sole permission though.

Matt Palmquist

Lil-Rokslider
In Kansas it is hit or miss. I have lost most of the property I grew up hunting around my hometown to leasing, etc. Knocking on a door and getting permission is getting more rare all of the time.

MOHunter

Lil-Rokslider
In Kansas it is hit or miss. I have lost most of the property I grew up hunting around my hometown to leasing, etc. Knocking on a door and getting permission is getting more rare all of the time.

+1 I hear leasing costs are getting up there as well. Anyone ever use the lease clubs like MAHA (Mid America Hunting Association)?

mtmiller

WKR
Hope to draw SD Black Hills again this year. Usually an every other year deal, but since they cut tags again this year, not positive. I will probably hunt West River SD whiteys again this November.

No need for a lease club. Some gas in the truck, a good attitude and a firm handshake will get the job done. Though it may take a lot of knocking on doors, it can be done!

I will be chasing Whitetails in Northern New York with the bow on Ft. Drum. Already got some trail cans out and some new spots picked out to hang some stands amongst some oaks. Also in the back of the house will set up a ground blind on an alfalfa field. Can't wait to Swhack some deer.

Reflex

FNG
I'll be hunting whitetails here in Eastern Nebraska. It won't be long now...a couple more months!

OP
Jared Bloomgren

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hope to draw SD Black Hills again this year. Usually an every other year deal, but since they cut tags again this year, not positive. I will probably hunt West River SD whiteys again this November.

Feel lucky you get to hunt the Black Hills that often. I haven't drew that tag for 3 years and I am a resident!