2013 Backpack Hunting Kit?

sk1

WKR
I'll list what will be used in 2013, and what I changed from if I am making a change or already did! I spent tons of cash on my 2012 season setup, but am fairly new to backpack hunting so this site killed my wallet! My wife and I are hoping to expand the family soon, so I wanted to get what I need asap so I can hopefully just maintain in the future, as when the family expands my wife is going to quit work and I will be the only income, gotta buy while I still can!

Pack - Kifaru DT1, upgraded from the TZ 6000

Water Filter/Treatment System - Katadyn Hiker Pro and filtration tabs

Shelter - Megatarp and tigoat omni raven bivy(will be ordered in a month or so), upgrading from golite SL-3

Optics - Zen-Ray ED3 10x42 with alaskan guide harness, Zen-Ray ED2 20-60x82mm spotter,........would like a 50mm spotter but probably wont purchase for 2013 season

Sleep System - sierra designs arrow rock 15 degree bag, exped synmat UL7

Stove - jetboil sol

Weapon and Accessories - 2011 Hoyt Rampage XT, MBG Ascent 5 pin slider, tight spot quiver, hoyt ultra rest

Headlamp - petzl myo rxp 2 and petzl tikka xp 2

GPS - garmin gpsmap 62SC with huntinggpsmap plat maps

Clothing - kuiu clothing mostly, core4 baselayers, first lite merino shirts.....changing from kuiu shirts to first lite, i feel like they are more durable

Boots - hanwag alaska gtx if they fit, on order - changing from rocky mountain stalker boots and irish settle elk tracker boots

Tripod - promaster xc525 tripod with benro s2 head arrive this week, upgraded tripod from Vanguard 233ao

Kill Kit - bunch of stuff nothing cool lol. would like to change out my knives for a piranta torch

I am so close to being fully setup, and then i need to quit visiting this site so i can save some money!

As far as 2012 epic fails go, that would be my katadyn hiker pro filter. my second day of the hunt I went to filter and the sonic weld that holds the piece you attach the tubing to the filter on broke. i tried to fix it with super glue and it held but didnt pump water......it was brand new only used in the house for testing and making sure i knew how to use it. filtration tabs the rest of the hunt!

Scottiem

Lil-Rokslider
I plan on replacing my eberlestock blue widow with a Kifaru DT1, and my marmot limelight 2 with a Kifaru sawtooth. Other than that I'm happy with my setup.

Pack: Mystery Ranch Dragon Slayer (I love it and can get as many as 5 days with the accesory pockets attached 2ripzips on the side and 1 longpocket on the bottom.)

Water Filter/Treatment System: Aquamiram Frontier Pro/Tablets and Platypus Bottle (I like this system its simple light and packs small and one of my buddies always has his Katadyn Hiker. I would like to get my own Katadyn Hiker filter at some point because we have really like it and no issues.)

Shelter: Looking to get something in this department for 2013. We have been just splitting up a heavy 6 man dome tent, each packing a piece of it. I have been looking at tarps and Big Agnes options. I just really dont want to spend a lot on a shelter. Ive never done a backpack hunt/fish trip in very rough conditions. I do maybe 2-4 trips a year each 1-3 days. I have even considered some of the cheap china made options available on ebay but I know the risks but so cheap, may work for me. Unless it straight falls apart.)

Optics/Tripod: ViperHD 10x42 (Love these binos, very happy. Great glass light and compact). MinoxMD16-30x50 (Been happy with this for the price. Great to pack at 24oz). Summit SS tripod (Really really like this tripod, I was skeptical cause my buddy has the Ridgeview and it is junk. Also I have a buddy that has the CF Slik and I like the Summit SS just as well. I would like to upgrade the head at some point hopefully in 2013).

Sleep System: Big Agnes Lost Ranger, Big Agnes Insulated Air Core, Grand Trunk Travel Pillow, Sea to Summit Compression Sack. (Very happy with this set up. I had the Encampment which is synthetic and upgraded to the Lost Ranger... its warmer, lighter, packs smaller. The bag and pillow pack up in the M sea to summit sack very small and nice.)

Stove: Snow Peak Giga Power Auto Stove, Snow Peak 700Ti Pot, Snow Peak 110 Fuel, Sea to Summit Folding Spork, Hefty Disposable Wash Rag (All packs up in tiny lightweight package. The stove is great, I can control the temp fine and have never had an issue in any temps or altitude). I also carry a Lite My Fire Meal Kit when needed. I ditched one of the cups that included so that I can fit in a little container of soap and a ziplock bag full of trinkets like S&P, season salt, chillula, soy sauce, mayo, etc all compliments of the local Maverick.)

Weapon and Accessories: Hoyt Maxxis, SureLoc 5 Pin Slider, Fuse accesories... one more year out of this bow for me. It hasnt killed yet so I cant justify the upgrade... or maybe thats what it is that I need :)?

Headlamp: Princeton Tec Remix Pro (Super light/compact and very bright. On the higher settings it burns batteries fast and its a pricey battery to replace it with. I pack a browning hat clip light in my kit for a back up and think its nice for what it is for its size and cost.)

GPS: Garmin Rhino. (For 2013 I would like to learn to use it better cause its useless to me almost cause I dont really understand its features and for just a radio I feel like the cheapos get better reception and use far less batteries.)

Clothing: All KUIU. (Got all the KUIU pieces I want for now... Attack pants are my favorite. Also have Guide jacket/vest, merino top, spindrift jacket, belt and hat.)

Boots: Keen Ericksons and Keen Siskiyou. (Happy with these boots. Very comfortable and the price is right for me.)

Kill Kit: Caribou Gear Bags (2x quarter bag, 1x camp meat bag), 30 Feet Paracord, Havalon with 5 extra blades. (Packs up nice. I fold the bags together then wrap the cord around the bags and knife and it all stays together nice. I love the idea of the tarp that was mentioned here, I will add that.)

Sorry that was long… any suggestions?

Craig4791

WKR
Pack- KUIU Icon 7000

Water Filter/Treatment System- MSR MiniWorks EX, i always carry some tablets just in case as well.

Shelter- Just ordered a MegaTarp and small stove that should be here next week! going to try it out for the first time in Arizona in a couple weeks.

Optics- Swarovski EL Swarovision 10X50's and a Swaro 20X60X80 HD scope. I have a nikon archers choice range finder that i would like to upgrade next year it always seems hard to find the animal with mine right off the bat with such a small field of view.

Sleep System- REI 25* Lumen bag with REI 1.5" air pad. A good Bivy sack will be on the list nex year to go along with the MegaTarp. I also use one of those small blow up pillows that weigh about 4 ounces, you cant beat the comfort of a good pillow!

Stove- Jet boil

Weapon and Accessories - 2012 Mathews MR6 70lb, .300 spine carbon express maxima hunter shafts with 100Gr ulmer edges weighing in around 475 grains, QAD HDX rest, HHA single pin slider and a tight spot quiver.

Headlamp- I have the Cabelas alaskan guide series lamp which i really like except that it is quite heavy so i may look to upgrade my lamp next year.

GPS- Garmin GPS Map 60csx

Clothing- All KUIU

Boots- Need a new pair not sure what to get yet but i want to buy a high quality boot even if it costs more than i would like.

Tripod- Trying out the Swarovski CT travel tripod with the DH101 head. Will be testing it for 5 days in AZ in a couple weeks.

Kill Kit- Havalon Piranta W/5 extra blades, KUIU game bag good for 80lbs of boned out meat, two pairs of rubber gloves, 25ft of paracord, two garbage bags.

In 2013 my goal will be to start saving weight better than i have in the past and that will probably mean upgrading a few items as well other than that i was pretty pleased with my gear this year.

Lawnboi

WKR
Pack: T1with a few add ons as needed, or a spike camp with a few add ons as needed. Depends on the trip

Water Filter/Treatment System: Tablets mostly, ill make my buddy carry the MSR miniworks or katadyn hiker depending on how scummy the water in the area is. (Ceramic elements + clay = not fun)

Shelter: paratarp and ID bivy, parastove and annex will stay at home unless its cold, rainy, or ill be staying put a while. Id really like to get ahold of a 4man and medium stove for a colder trips! That may not happen this year though and if it does it needs to happen before the first week of nov.

Optics: Changing up this department, dumping the leupold binos and nikon rangefinder. Vortex it will be for binos and spotter, for now im going to stick with my old nikon rangefinder till i find something thats better.

Sleep System: Always in a ID bivy; woobie express when its mild, doobie when its a little cooler, marmot lithium when its winter.

Stove: MSR pocket rocket and TI kettle. Still kicking and doubt it will get replaced anytime soon. MSR dragonfly for winter or when i want to get fancy with my cooking

Weapon and Accessories: Vector turbo, MBG 4 pin adjustable, bstinger, tightspot, carter simple 1. All the rest of the goods. AM32 for a backup. Currently im rifleless.

Headlamp: Petzy MYO and rayovac cheap little thing that actually is super nice and light. Might look for another, waterproof headlamp.

GPS: Garmin Oregon 450, works great, no reason to change

Clothing: KUIU and some sitka

Boots: Meindl alaskas if they make it, otherwise I have some Lowa tibets broken in and ready to take the meindls place

Tripod: Ill be shopping for a new one when I order a new spotter.

Kill Kit: A copy of what you guys are selling on here, Id pick one up off here but I already have half the stuff.

Its hard to say exactly what ill take with me, it changes so much from trip to trip based on length of stay, weather, and what I want out of the trip.

I went on my first backcountry/backpack/high country hunt in 2012. I hunted mule deer in Colorado for a week at 12,000' learned a lot about hunting the high country and about the equipment it takes to do it, and I even managed to bag a doe :) I'm a gear junky so I'm always looking to improve my equipment or even just to try something else. I'll start by discussing the gear I used in 2012 and then what I'm planning to change. All in all everything worked well, but I slept for sh*t!!! Gonna mainly mix that up to try to get a more comfortable sleep. Here's what I had.

Pack -- Mystery Ranch 7500. This pack was bombproof and provided me more than enough room for my gear coming in and different options to carry it. I don't like how my bow rode when I attached it to the pack (I never felt I got it to load right). Also, the lid/daypack seems to ride funny if the pack isn't packed all the way. Lastly, at almost 10 lbs, it's heavy! But it is durable and I thought it was reasonably comfortable when packed to about 70 lbs.

Water Filter/Treatment System -- used a Katadyn Vario and a Katadyn Base Camp. Since I went with my friend we had the option to carry different gear and try out different stuff without too much of a weight penalty. Water filtration was one of those places we experimented. The Vario worked great when pumping out of a clear mountain stream. Pumping pretty much sucks, but as far as pumps go it had a smooth stroke and a good output so we were able to fill up containers pretty quick. We were searching for a closer water source and found what best could be described as a mudhole that we tried to filter some water from. The Vario did not like that. It quickly became difficult to pump and pressure would build inside the unit (it would release when the top was taken off of the pump). Had this been our only source of filtration we could have been screwed. It wasn't until we got back to civilization and were able to clean out the various filtration cartridges and discs that we were able to get decent throughput again (I bought backup cartridges after that). The Base Camp worked ok. It's great cause you don't have to pump the water. However, we had a very difficult time getting the cap to seal and this meant we had a steady drip coming out of the base of the filter where the cap and tube are. It didn't effect the performance of the filter, but losing that much water out of the bag when it was standing there sucked. It's great to not have to pump water, but the convenience of being able to supply lots of water easily on demand with the Vario was great and if I had to pick one I'd probably pick that.

Shelter -- Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 -- Can't say anything bad about this tent. It goes up quickly and easily (especially for someone who doesn't camp all that much). There's plenty of room for one person to sleep. The only negatives are there isn't an absolute ton of space for other stuff inside the tent and the vestible isn't really spacy, but it's not so bad that I would ding the tent for it. All in all a great tent at a lightweight.

Optics -- Swarovski EL 10x42 Swarovision binoculars and Swarovski STM 20-60x65 Swarovision spotting scope. These were awesome. I bought a Vanguard Mak 203 tripod and head. It was easily adjustable and weighed only about 2 lbs. The tripod itself was okay, my problem was with the head. The head did not hold the scope steady after you'd make an adjustment and tighten everything down. It was a pain to have the field of view move due to the weight of the scope right after you had everything adjusted.

Sleep System -- Western Mountaingeering Highlite sleeping bag, Exped Synmat UL7 pad, Exped pump and pillow, Therm-a-rest Camp Pillow. I could tell the WM sleeping bag was a great, technically awesome piece of equipment -- I just could not get a good sleep in it. It's light, the material is comfortable, it packs down incredibly small...in short it's almost everything you could ask for in a backcountry bag. I just like to sleep on my stomach and mummy bags and me aren't the best of friends. Maybe there's a time I'll go back to it, but I'm gonna try some different stuff this year (ie, a quilt). The Exped pad was great. The pump/pillow I did not care for. I really couldn't figure out how to get it to work as a pump efficiently (I'm sure this was operator error, but it was a lot quicker just to blow up with my breath) and using it as a pillow just wasn't comfortable. When we hiked back to the truck for a day, I grabbed the Therma-rest camp pillow (which is a little bigger and heavier) and had a much better sleep on it.

Stove -- Jetboil Sumo. This was a great stove for two people. I think Jetboil products are great and the only thing I'd say is I wish maybe they were a little lighter, but 1 lb is hard to beat and like I said the sumo worked great for two people.

Weapon and Accessories -- Mathews Heli-M. Lightweight, longer axle-to-axle bow. This is my fourth Mathews and it'll do the job as long as I do mine. Thinking about going to a Hoyt, but maybe next year maybe not.

Headlamp -- Petzl Tikka. This thing is a great little lightweight headlamp. I don't need the headlamp to do much more than shine light and not weigh a lot and it does this. I packed a Surefire Executive flashlight as well as a back-up. I left it in camp and don't think I used it much. May just leave it behind next year, although it's a great little light.

GPS -- Garmin Montana 650t. This GPS does it all. The big touch screen is fantastic and having it preloaded with satelite imagery was great, especially given I was walking into this unit for the first time. I think the more detail helps, and prescouting and marking campsites/waypoints on the unit via the Basecamp software from Garmin was extremely useful and valuable. The only downside is this thing is large and heavy for a GPS unit.

Clothing -- First Lite. I had a bunch of Sitka gear and brought some of it along out of familiarity to it. I started the hunt wearing First Lite base layers and outer layers (Labrador Sweater and Kanab Pants) and never even touched the Sitka. This stuff is unbelievably comfortable and didn't gain an ounce of odor that I ever noticed. I packed long johns as well but never wore them on my hunt. Next year I plan on going in with the same outfit.

Boots -- Kenetrek Mountain Safari. I can't say enough about my Kenetrek's. I've probably put 100 miles on them and have never had a blister and they still are in great shape. I paired them with Kenetrek liner socks and some Darn Tough socks. Just like the clothing, I don't plan on changing a thing on this front next year.

Tripod -- See optics above.

Kill Kit -- I packed an Outdoor Edge Swingblade, a Havalon Piranta, and some Alaskan Game Bags for the hunt last year. I used the OE Swingblade to quarter my deer and I think it's a great knife. Next year, I'm gonna pack solely the Piranta and save a little weight (I may pack two of them given how light they are as a backup/camp knife). The game bags worked great for me and I have no complainst with how they performed.

All that being said, here's what I'm changing up for next year.

Pack -- KU5200 for the weight savings. I may pick up a DT1 and decide between these two prior to hunting season rolling around.

Shelter -- Kifaru Megatarp and Parastove. I'm gonna give floorless a shot and save a little weight on the shelter piece. With some of the weight savings I think I'm gonna go ahead and pack the stove. Even though I wasn't necessarily cold, it's hard to beat the comfort of a fire while going to bed and in the morning. I'm thinking of giving the TiGoat Cylinder stove a shot even though I already purchased the Parastove, mainly for the size difference (bigger) and weight (lighter).

Sleeping system -- Quilt and bivy. Haven't picked out which ones I'm going with, but it's looking like either an Integral Designs Bugaboo or TiGoat Omni Raven. I think I may pick them both up and decide later which one I'll take. I'm looking at a few different quilts too (GoLite, ThermaRest, Enlightened Equipment, Nunatak), not sure which one I'm gonna go with but hoping this combination will give me a more comfortable sleep! No more mummies!

Hydration -- I'm gonna add an MSR Dromedary bag for storing water. I had a platypus 4L containter, but I like the Dromedary bag, either to store the unfiltered water for the Base Camp or to store filtered water from the Vario.

Tripod -- Picked up a Promaster tripod and a new Slik head. Tried it on my mule deer hunt in New Mexico this year alread and it worked a lot better. A little heavier, but much higher quality. Looking forward to taking it to the high country.

Kill Kit -- snagged a Rokslide Kill Kit of course :) Too good of a deal to pass up, so we'll see how that works!

I think that pretty much covers it!

Jason

flytrait

Lil-Rokslider
Best adds for 2012

1. REI Primoloft packable jacket and vest. Best, warmest, packable jacket I have ever had even over the Kuiu primoloft
2. MY T2 and T3
3. Blackdiamond carbon trekking poles, all I can say is wow I will never leave home with out them
4. Kuiu merino 185 top
5. Ziess 85mm spotter
6. UL7 sleeping pad
7. New MSR Carbon Reflex 3 I paid $60.00 for it

Changing for 2013

1. Mega tarp to save weight from the Carbon Reflex 3
2. Gravity water filter over my hiker pro for weight savings
3. Adding the Kuiu guide pants

Overall I am very happy with everthing else as far as performance.

So what do you think your kit will consist of in 2013?

Pack - still debating T2 DT2 or REI XT85

Water Filter/Treatment System - Katadyn hiker PRO, same as last 6 years

Shelter - Go-Lite Shangri-la 5, same as last year

Optics - Alpen 10x42 fog proof and water proof. Had some for the last 6 years. Just sent them in to get a repair and they sent me a new pair at NO charge

Sleep System - Fairly cheap light weight bag (15*) same I have used for 3 years

Stove - no stove, MRE's

Weapon and Accessories Darton DS3800, Black Gold sight, Gold tip arrows, Snyper broadheads. All same as last year

Headlamp - Brinkman LED, bought at walmart for like $12, have used it for about 5 years. super bright, long battery life and light weight

GPS - my phone app. cabelas or my Delorme gps. really like both

Clothing - what ever is synthetic and cheapest. I have several brands (none high priced) and have NO complaints

Boots - not sure for this year wore out my last pair after 5 or 6 years of use

Tripod - NA

Kill Kit - same as the past nothing special, might change to a havalon knife

Borrowing a grip of ideaa from this thread...

For 2013 hunting:

Danner Mountain Boota upgraded to Zamberlan Steep GTs
Swaro EL 10x42s upgraded to Swaro EL 12x50s
Cabelas outfitter camo upgraded to Kuiu full kit
Added long range rifle: ultralight trued Remington 700 6.5x47 Lapua
Added tall Outdoorsmans tripod and pistol grip

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Borrowing a grip of ideaa from this thread...

For 2013 hunting:

Danner Mountain Boota upgraded to Zamberlan Steep GTs
Swaro EL 10x42s upgraded to Swaro EL 12x50s
Cabelas outfitter camo upgraded to Kuiu full kit
Added long range rifle: ultralight trued Remington 700 6.5x47 Lapua
Added tall Outdoorsmans tripod and pistol grip

Have you posted pics of your rifle? I would love to see it! What bullet are you going to be shooting?

weaver

WKR
We've talked about his before, but after the season ends, we usually have something (or several somethings) that we want to change out for the next year!

Pack. Kifaru Longhunter bag on Bikini frame

Water Filter/Treatment System. Sawyer inline hooked up to a 4L Dromlight

Shelter. Eureka Solitaire

Optics. Vortex Viper binos

Sleep System. Zlite pad GoLite sleeping bag

Stove. Jetboil SOL

Weapon and Accessories Hoyt bow

Headlamp. Petzl

GPS. Not sure yet but probably a Garmin Etrex 30

Clothing. Mostly Russell

Boots. Crispi Kanadas

Tripod

Kill Kit. Caribou game bags. 1 kifaru meat baggie,Havalon,paracord

Last edited by a moderator:

weaver

WKR
In the above post I quoted Aron and added my gear...dont wanna make you guys think Arons using a cheapo eureka tent:D

RedStag

Lil-Rokslider
Pack - new MR Metcalf with stick it

Water Filter/Treatment System. Katadyn vario

Shelter. Mar hubba hubba (hopefully next year a paratipi)

Optics. Vortex fury 12x40. Vortex skyline.

Sleep System. MEC. Merlin bag, good to -3 packs into a nalgene

Stove. Jet boil flash

Weapon and Accessories Kimber Montana 300wsm/PSE brutex

Headlamp. Black diamond spot

GPS. Garmin

Clothing Patagonia under layers, kuiu merino top, kuiu guide jacket, sitka storm front, sitka mountain pants, kuiu super down hoody

Boots. Scarpa m3s. Prob going te replace them this spring, anyone else have these boots and upgrade? I would like a similar fit

Tripod

Kill Kit. Havalon piranta, bench made griptillian, Alaska quarter bagss

Also bought a SPOT satellite messenger
Same kit I use for muleys, but I'm heading out august 10th for stones.

Have you posted pics of your rifle? I would love to see it! What bullet are you going to be shooting?

Justin thanks, I will get a couple pics up. Right now its Berger 130 vld, Lapua brass. It is more accurate than I am. Berger has quite the reputation (both good and bad) - what do you recommend?

gulicemo

Banned
2013 Gear list Ozs
Pack
Kifaru Timberline 1 w/ Grabit 93
Shelter/ Sleep system
Exped UL 7 + Schnozzle 19
Sierra Designs Ridge Runner 0* 50
Borah Bivy Side Zip 7
Mountain Shelter LT 32
Trekking Poles 18
Cooking/ Food
MSR Superfly 6
Fuel 7
Snowpeak 900 Ti Cookset 6
Snowpeak Ti spork 0.6
Lighter 0.4
Paracord 25ft 1.5
3 oz Olive Oil 3
Seasoning Container 2
Food (1.5#/day) 4 days 96
Hydration System
Katadyn Hiker Pro 11
MSR 4L Dromlite w/ hydration kit full 141
MSR 6L Dromlite for camp 5.7
Aqua Mira Drops 3
Kill Kit
Kifaru Pull Out Large
Havalon Piranta + Blades 3
Gerber Bone Saw 8
Paracord 25ft 1.5
Pillow Cases (x2) 4
Zip Ties 1
Orange Mesh Vest 3
Kifaru Hanging Meat Bag 6
Tag and Pen wrapped in flagging tape 2
Clothing
KUIU Attack Pant (Worn in)
KUIU Guide Jacket 24
KUIU Spindrift 13.5
KUIU Merino 185 1/4 zip 9.6
Icebreaker Merino Boxer Briefs (Worn In)
Sitka Stormfront Jacket (If rain expected) 24
Sitka Shooters Gloves 2.35
Blaze Orange Beanie 2
2 pair Cabelas Merino Socks (1pair worn in) 2
Danner Hawk Boots (worn in)
Under Armour Heat gear shirt (worn in)
Hunting Gear
Vortex Diamondback 10x42 24.5
Bushnell Chuck Adams Range Finder 6
Horn Hunter Bino Cases system 10
Wind Check 1
Garmin Oregon 450 GPS 6.8
Vortex Razor 11-33x50 25
Vortex Summit SS Tripod 33
Map/Compass 3
Bow/Arrows 112
Release (2x) 4
Head Lamp 2
Allen Wrenches, Bow Specific 3
Extra Arrows and Broadheads (3 ea) 5

Extra Batteries 3
Toilet Paper in Ziplock 2.5
First Aid Kit 8
Band Aids
IBU Profen
Benadryl
Sting Patch
Gauze
Antiseptic
Lighter
Duct tape
Small kifaru Pull Out
Toothbrush/ paste 1.5
Trash Bags 2
Ziplocks 1

Possible Upgrades
Revalation X 30* 20.5
sum 827.85
# 51.740625
Sum 857.35
# 53.584375

Jdog

WKR
Want to give the High Camp 7000 a try this year over my DT1

Also added a SL5 and two labs to carry my crap on the upcoming Brooks Range sheep hunt...

Attachments

• IMAG0522.jpg
    IMAG0522.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 88
Epic fail- my MSR Autoflow gravity filter stopped working during a hunt. Tried backflushing, and no water flowed this way either. Backup iodine pills saved my butt, but I'll either do something new this year or go back to pumping with my trusty old Sweetwater.

Gear additionas: An annex and 12" Ti Goat stove for my Megatarp. I'm also going to sew a snow collar on to my Timberline 2 for some extra room.

We've talked about his before, but after the season ends, we usually have something (or several somethings) that we want to change out for the next year!

Pack

Water Filter/Treatment System

Shelter

Optics

Sleep System

Stove

Weapon and Accessories

Headlamp

GPS

Clothing

Boots

Tripod

Kill Kit

and anything else that's noteworthy!

If you had any "epic" failures on gear in 2012, it would be great to hear about those too!

Also list anything that stood out in 2012 as a "never leaving home without it" piece of kit as well!

Thanks Everyone

Pack: Timberline 2
Shelter: Replaced Sil Nylon tarp with Kifaru Megatarp, Annex and small stove. If I plan to use as spike camp; the stove annex comes with. If I’m bivy hunting the Annex and Stove stay in the truck.
Water Filter: Replaced Katadyn Vario (great product has served me well) and trying the Sawyer squeeze system. 15 oz vs. 3 oz.
Camel back – Replaced with MSR Dromedary 4 liter and 6 liter. Hydrate system on the 4 liter and spigot on the 6 liter.
Stove: Replaced Jetboil (another great product) with SOTO regulator (6 0z), GSI tea kettle (5 oz). Snow Peak double wall titanium cup. All stored minus the Kettle in an OR Nalgene insulated bottle cover to be used for re-hydrating food.
Sleep system: Staying with BI bag, Insulated Core Pad and Ridgerest Z light Pad. Just purchased BI Deluxe Pillow. I have higher end down bags, but I love this system. You just compress the down on the bottom of the bag when sleeping (not much insulating value) I like the built in pad sleeve. May or may not take my bivy sack.
Optics: Staying with my Swaro 10X42 EL
Head lamp – Replaced my Black Diamond’s something? With Petzel Tactikka XP + Myo RXP
Kill Kit: I have the Havalon knife and extra blades, Kifaru meat bag. I will be purchasing the T.A.G Bags. I would have purchased the Kill Kit from ROC Slide Store; but already had several of the items included.
Clothing – King of Mountain Frontier Wool shirt and Bun-Lite Wool Pants. Kuiu Attack Pants, Guide Vest, Gloves, Beanie and Spin Drift Jacket. My Guide jacket stays at home. Base layer: Merino light pants, Kuiu Zip-top, and boxers. Will be replacing the Smartwool bottoms with First Lite. Smartwool bottoms IMO are not that durable. Gaiters (I never leave camp in the mornings without them)
Rain gear: Silicon nylon poncho.
Boots: Ordered a pair of Hanwag Yukon’s replacing my SCARPA Mustangs. Not a fan of gore-tex and certainty not in my boots, that’s why I opted for the Yukon’s over the Alaska’s
Considering – Tripod for my SWARO binos,