2013 Backpack Hunting Kit?

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We've talked about his before, but after the season ends, we usually have something (or several somethings) that we want to change out for the next year!

So what do you think your kit will consist of in 2013?

Pack

Water Filter/Treatment System

Shelter

Optics

Sleep System

Stove

Weapon and Accessories

Headlamp

GPS

Clothing

Boots

Tripod

Kill Kit

and anything else that's noteworthy!

If you had any "epic" failures on gear in 2012, it would be great to hear about those too!

Also list anything that stood out in 2012 as a "never leaving home without it" piece of kit as well!

Thanks Everyone

no gear failures but almost had a major boot seem blowout.
so things i will be looking to change for 2013 will start with boots, gonna try the hanwag alaskans first
sleeping pad, using the q core, gonna try the xtherm to save 12 oz.
sleeping bag, using a feathered friends 20deg, thinking i will get a nunatak alpinist to save over a lb
water filter will be going to sawyer inline
and will be upgrading spotter to a ....?

shaun

WKR
I think my 2 biggest changeouts for 2013 will be a DT1 and I am about to order the Slick Bag in a wide long (alot more room and less weight than my down bag)

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Will never hunt without one of my Kifaru DT series packs.....epic success on this design. New to the kit will be the Kifaru SlikBag. Everything else is going to stay the same, at least at this point.

6t4nova

WKR
Only thing I changed for next year is I replaced my Paratipi with a megatarp. Other than that, all is well and I have just about everything I need. Dropped some serious coin getting to that point, but it's well worth it.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
GoLite Quilt is getting replaced by an Enlightend Equiptment quilt

Becca's full size Neo Air is getting replaced with a short, saves me 5 oz in the pack. :D

Beastmode

WKR
Mystery ranch 6500 to a DT 1 and 3

Leupold compact spotter to a vortex razor hd spotter

Leupold wind river to vortex razor hd binos

Leopold compact tripod to slik 634 cf

7mag.

WKR
I'm looking to replace my Marmot Trestle 15* bag with a 20* slik bag, and I need a new tripod, hopefully an Outdoorsman's. Other than that, I am very happy with my MR BDSB, my Sawyer Squeeze filter, and I upgraded from a closed cell foam pad to a BAIAC, and love it. I just started using trekking poles this year and love them, even though they are cheapies, they work great. I also love my GoLite SL3, especially since I was using a Eureka Solataire.

Gman

WKR
I've got my kit pretty dialed in but I think there's going to be a DT1 in my future. However, no matter how dialed in I am I'm always ready to be bitten by any new piece of gear that comes out that looks fun to try or may shave weight!

dcestnik

Lil-Rokslider
Planning on replacing the following:
Cabela's Big Sky spotter to Vortex Razor HD
Cabelas Perfekt 7" hiker to Cabelas Denali, Hanwag or something that fits my narrow heels better.
Camelbak to Platypus - Had the camelbak bladder leak on the hike out on my last day. It it were on my sleeping bag and clothing any earlier it would have been a huge issue.

Current sleep system is BA lost ranger, Cabelas bivy, oware 8x10 tarp. Might experiment with using HPG mountain serape to replace down coat and sleeping bag during the warmer months.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Becca's full size Neo Air is getting replaced with a short, saves me 5 oz in the pack. :D

Oh really?? Then where are you planning to put your feet? You have been hogging the bottom of my pad ever since you went to a short :) I am short enough, I doubt I will miss the extra length much, but you will....

swat8888

WKR
7mag glad the BDSB is working out for you. I finally got back my sheep I hauled out in that thing. Love the weight savings of my DT1's, but I give the MR a slight edge in the comfort factor. Most of my gear is locked in for a few years. Picked up a 7oz Golite rain jacket to lighten way up on my rain gear, 14oz total for pants/top. Eventually will spend the money on a top end spotter. Will be buying my own satphone this year, most likely Iridium 9555. And will continue my yearly debate on going with a lighter weight down sleeping bag over my 2.8lb synthetic beast. After scrapping my Lowa's this year the last item I'll be upgrading next year will be going to plastic boots, either Scarpa Omega's or Koflach Degre's...depends what feel better.

alecvg

Lil-Rokslider
Change my pack for sure, Hopefully a Kifaru Timberline, but we will see. Other than that everything worked great.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Eberlestock Battleship Pack.... ITS GOT TO GO!! Hopefully a Kifaru is in my future but my wallet may have other thoughts

7mag.

WKR
7mag glad the BDSB is working out for you. I finally got back my sheep I hauled out in that thing. Love the weight savings of my DT1's, but I give the MR a slight edge in the comfort factor. Most of my gear is locked in for a few years. Picked up a 7oz Golite rain jacket to lighten way up on my rain gear, 14oz total for pants/top. Eventually will spend the money on a top end spotter. Will be buying my own satphone this year, most likely Iridium 9555. And will continue my yearly debate on going with a lighter weight down sleeping bag over my 2.8lb synthetic beast. After scrapping my Lowa's this year the last item I'll be upgrading next year will be going to plastic boots, either Scarpa Omega's or Koflach Degre's...depends what feel better.

Thank you. I had 71 pounds for 10 very steep miles with it and never even had a sore muscle. The suspension is amazing. It's huge too, I can fit all kinds of stuff I don't need in it.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh really?? Then where are you planning to put your feet? You have been hogging the bottom of my pad ever since you went to a short :) I am short enough, I doubt I will miss the extra length much, but you will....

I love it!

I would like to get a bigger pack, dt2 really has my eye.

I would also like to pick up a lighter tripod.

Nikon ed50 will be on the list as well....