2013 Colorado DIY???

OP
ddavis_1313
I will share something I have heard from several people on hunting tactics and Im sure most of you have heard this. I have been advised that the best way to hike and search for elk is to dress as if I just left the Sierra club!!! Basically, since the elk are used to seeing hikers all summer, if you bump one then they tend to only run a short distance as apposedto heading to the next unit. If you spot them and go to stalk, just pull camo over what your wearing and go after them. Even heard you can tie a bell to your boot to add in realism as the hikers do this as a deterrent to bears!!!! Just take it off before you start your stalk! I may try the hiker approach but will pass on the bell!!! I would forget to remove it!!!

ckleeves

WKR
You have a valid point ckleeves. And this idea has definitely crossed my mind. Trust me, It will be a huge let down to devote 10 days to an area and not see a single animal. But then again, I'm sure your method is very popular amongst elk hunters. You probably have learned of certain areas though that get over looked or not so well known where glassing from a road can be done or isn't chalk full of hunters. Colorado is a big state with alot of roads and some units full of them!! And a road next to a peak of 11500' sure would make for a great and easy glassing area. I just don't know enough about all the units as to which ones offer this capability. If you would like to pm me some info on something more specific I'd love to learn some thing from you. Hey, if you wanna guide me free of charge on a hunt, I'm sold!!!!! HAHAHAH j/k of course!!

I might have missed it but I assume from some of the previous post that your archery hunting.
The thing about archery season is that it isn't really hard to find or see elk. As far as otc units I know 62,64,65,70,74,and 63 real well and a few other kinda well. If your thinking about any of these units pm me what areas your looking at and I might be able to give you some places to start.

OP
ddavis_1313
So I am looking into the weiminuche wilderness area. probably eastern part bc of it would be a shorter drive. Anyone have any info on this area they care to share?? I would greatly appreciate it!!

do yourself a favor........do not imitate hikers! that may be the onset of "treehugging" :) instead imitate the elk. you said yourself you were going to learn to call. don't wait til a month or 2 before season to learn . start practicing now! good luck!

OP
ddavis_1313
Hahahaha!!! No tree hugging here for me! I 100% agree with you on imitating elk for sure.

Thanks for starting this thread up as I am also on the search for more information. Hope it continues with more input as next years hunting season comes up as I am pretty much on the same boat as you ddavis with the exception that I have never hunted before, lol. Some great tips on this thread for sure.

OP
ddavis_1313
Well you will love it and be hooked for good. I love hunting and everything outdoors. I have always wanted to chase elk and am making it a point to start. Just trying to learn as much as i can about areas i am looking at!

ddavis_1313,

I am also planning my first elk hunt for colorado next year. I hope you don't mind if I chime in with some questions as well.

What would you guys recommend for a first time archery elk hunter? A unit with a higher success rate, but a lot more hunters or a unit with lower success rate, but a significantly lower amount of hunters? Also looking to hunt off my back in a wilderness area, but I would be willing to give truck camping a shot if it has a good chance to be more successful.

ChrisB1

FNG
ckleeves is right, heed his advice.I got into that in the West Elk,no elk.Your problem is the same as mine.I live at 680' elevation and hunted above 11000'. While being in great shape helps tremendously it is very difficult to acclimate to to the elevation in such a short time period.When you have backpacked in 4 miles and figured out you have to move another 4 miles to find the elk you learn in a hurry the reality of hunting high and deep in vertical country with no air. I'm not trying to burst your bubble but DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE how difficult it really is. I did and paid dearly.

Chris

For calls and instructional videos google elknut, really good instructional info. I did my first wilderness hunt in 2009. It is addicting. This year will be my first archery elk hunt and will be returning to the same area.

jmez

WKR
To go along with what ckleeves is telling you. Have a plan B, C, C etc. I'm sure you will do map study and have an area picked out you want to hunt. If the elk aren't there you need to move and go somewhere else. If you have a backup plan in place you will be ready to pack up and go rather than continuing to look for elk that aren't there. You should have all of this planned before you ever leave home.