2013 Fitness Goals

shaun

WKR
Well for most of us season has came and gone witch means it is time to start setting goals and working toward being better next year than this year. I figured I would ask what everyone is trying to accomplish before next year to be able to hammer the mountains better than before. For me I am not doing my standard winter time bulk cycle and continue concentrating on being more well rounded cardiovascuarly. Spending more time on the squat rack than on the bench and not doing any training for the power lifting competetions I normally do this time of year. Lifting heavy weight 1-4 reps is not going to help what my goals are but instead of take away from what I want to accomplish for next season. I think for me as soon as I get over the mental aspect of this it will be smooth sailing.

Lets hear what everyone's goals are!!

Slim Jim

WKR
I have a 5 day workout schedule that I try to stick to year round. Here is my schedule.

Monday- weights, full body with 10 to 15 reps to failure per set and only 30 second rest between sets
Tuesday- hike on treadmill for 2 hours at 3 mph and 8 on incline with a 50 lb pack.
Wednesday- run for 5 miles
Thursday- 30 min. Circuit training consisting of push ups, ab wheel, sit ups, burpees, and shadow boxing.
Friday- 1 hr rpm cycling class.

When I get close to a hunt, I take my hiking to the mountains for elevation and add one more day of running

tradair1980

Lil-Rokslider
Get a 50 mile ultra and a sprint tri and Olympic tri ...I got a 50 k last year ...Also continue the battle.of.keeping my body weight up through weights and a great diet

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Short term put 7 pds back on after a long season:) Long term stay injury free, stay motivated through the winter and look forward to the upcoming shed season....my workout routine fits into the OCD category, doing either cardio or weights/body weight activities 7 days a week to ward off father time as he is an evil dude!

Jdog

WKR
Keep pounding P90X and mixing in some runs and spinning in with it!

Stay injury free.

c5mrr270

WKR
Keep pounding P90X and mixing in some runs and spinning in with it!

Stay injury free.

That's me, thinking I'm gonna start p90x back up soon. Hopefully do p90x in the morning and throw in some runs in the afternoon.

BuckSnort

WKR
I'm going to lose the 35 lbs I have gained since getting Trichinosis from bear meat last year.... Some circuit training and eating cleaner will do it..

Shrek

WKR
My goal is to get to 225 lbs. I'm weighing in at a svelt 265. I think I can do it, but I'll have to sacrifice some of my brute strength.

Nik , your frame will thank you in 15 or 20 years. You can build a lot of muscle but your discs in your back and the stuff your knees and hips ride on don't get stonger.

rhendrix

WKR
Lose 40 pounds, run a 10k, squat 350 pounds, dead lift 450 pounds, and bench press 275 pounds. Maybe even run a mountain race and shoot in the Bowcast for the bird.

Last edited:
Nik , your frame will thank you in 15 or 20 years. You can build a lot of muscle but your discs in your back and the stuff your knees and hips ride on don't get stonger.

Thats what I figured. I'm in good shape at 265 and 6'4, but more like I need to be playing in the NFL shape, rather than climbing around at altitude shape. I know if I do get an elk down in an awkward position I can move him solo though! haha

a3dhunter

WKR
I'm 6'4" and want to get down to 235lbs from 267lbs this afternoon. Started at 311lbs january 2011.
Sounds very similar to my journey. You have a little more height than me, I'm 6'1" and started at 30 lbs. I'm floating between 268-271 right now, but just joined the gym up here so I should be able to get back to regular workouts now.

I have zero doubts you will get it done, man.
Thanks, appreciate it.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My only real goal is to stay where I'm at right now.

I was able to do a 10 mile loop this morning and headed to the gym shortly after that. At the gym I did push-ups till muscle failure (94 total) and then banged out some abdominal exercises and a few pull ups.......I then went Beast Mode on Panera Bread!
I've gone from benching over 500lbs (a few years ago) and weighing 270 to not worrying about that type of stuff and weighing 200. I get around in the woods much better now and can hike all day. Packing around a ton of extra muscle was not cool on backpack hunts, so I don't do many power exercises now and just stick to push ups, pull ups, dips and super sets with moderate weight.

I hate running, so backpack cardio has always been my "go to" exercise. Running is great for some, but it's just not for me...I like to keep my training as close to real life hunting as I can.

My only real goal is to stay where I'm at right now.

I was able to do a 10 mile loop this morning and headed to the gym shortly after that. At the gym I did push-ups till muscle failure (94 total) and then banged out some abdominal exercises and a few pull ups.......I then went Beast Mode on Panera Bread!
I've gone from benching over 500lbs (a few years ago) and weighing 270 to not worrying about that type of stuff and weighing 200. I get around in the woods much better now and can hike all day. Packing around a ton of extra muscle was not cool on backpack hunts, so I don't do many power exercises now and just stick to push ups, pull ups, dips and super sets with moderate weight.

I hate running, so backpack cardio has always been my "go to" exercise. Running is great for some, but it's just not for me...I like to keep my training as close to real life hunting as I can.

So true. I hate carrying around a ton of extra muscle when in the mountains. I also hate running, so I like to row on my machine, and hike with weight. Its my favorite exercise.