2013 Turkey Harvest Pics

zenshu

FNG
Those are some nice looking birds, I'll be going back out this weekend hopefully and hope to get my bird before the Colorado spring season closes in a few short weeks.

KS has been the same ... weather conditions are keeping the birds henned up and non-responsive to sets. We were getting better response out of the Heads Up Decoy and just using it to crawl in on the flocks.

Pics to come!

zenshu

FNG
We have had a couple of snows in the Denver area the last few days which is really putting a hamper on my attempts to get out and get a bird, this is my first year ever turkey hunting so it has been a learning experience in itself and then add on top of it the sub freezing temps this week and the late snowfalls and I am basically just lost in the sauce without clue as to where to go.

ckleeves

WKR
We have had a couple of snows in the Denver area the last few days which is really putting a hamper on my attempts to get out and get a bird, this is my first year ever turkey hunting so it has been a learning experience in itself and then add on top of it the sub freezing temps this week and the late snowfalls and I am basically just lost in the sauce without clue as to where to go.

These late snows can be helpful if your having trouble finding birds. Start driving mountain roads or hiking looking for tracks. This morning I hiked out a single set of tracks from yesterday evening and it led me into a bunch of birds I didn't know about. You can also backtrack them and hunt them at flydown the next morning once you figure out how they are moving and roosting.

It took me a few years to figure out turkey hunting. Depending on the area it can be really good. While other areas its like hunting ghosts.

bradb

WKR
Me and a buddy just got back from a trip to NE and KS. We filled our tags, 9 birds in 5 days. NE went fast, KS we started with a double then took some time and just filmed each other. The double was our best fast hard fast gobbling and strutting action. I do agree the birds are not as fired up as they usually are this time of year, but still workable. The jakes were chasing toms all over heck in KS. Now I need to pick up a bird here in WI to complete my Muzzle loader single season slam. I got one in FL a few weeks back, FL was VERY slow. I heard 7 total gobbles in the first 5 days and the bird I shot gobbled 5 times coming in. Took my buddy 7 days. Was fortunate to have buddies in each place that had us a place to stay and land to hunt, so we were able to do this for the cost of a normal Osceola hunt.

Great weekend in Northern Idaho! I have turkey hunted all over the midwest and my buddy Hunter is no slouch when it comes to longbeards either. Anyhow, we must have hit that ONE day a year when the turkeys just lose their minds. On Saturday we experienced what we both believe was the best day of turkey hunting we have ever been apart of. There wasn't a 5 minute period ALL DAY long that we didn't hear a gobble. It was constant gobbling from sun up until sun down. Unreal and so cool to be out there! Took 5 hours for this one to come in, but eventually he just couldn't resist.

attachment.php

Headed back up this coming weekend to fill my other tag and get the little lady one or two :)

ckleeves

WKR
Hunted the first 5 days with the bow, missed a good Tom I should have hit and finally got the shotgun out since I had to go back to work and won't be home until after season.

This bird had a freakishly large body, a very wispy blonde/white beard and huge spurs for a Merriam's. Taken at 5 yards, Colorado public land. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366683157.567314.jpg

DWarcher

WKR
Hunted the first 5 days with the bow, missed a good Tom I should have hit and finally got the shotgun out since I had to go back to work and won't be home until after season.

This bird had a freakishly large body, a very wispy blonde/white beard and huge spurs for a Merriam's. Taken at 5 yards, Colorado public land. View attachment 7453

That's a beautiful bird...congrats!

ckleeves

WKR
Thanks! I love getting them that close it's such a rush. My brother punched his tag the same day with a nice Tom, and you can see the size difference between the 2 and his had a 9" beard. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366744123.858484.jpg

Matt Palmquist

Lil-Rokslider
Kansas Opening weekend....still working on bird #2. Congrats to everyone!

Matt

Attachments

• Heads Up 2 (1024x678).jpg
    Heads Up 2 (1024x678).jpg
    101 KB · Views: 56

zenshu

FNG
Still no luck on my end, I think the birds are lower in elevation than the area I am hunting because of the late snows, but its the only place I know of that is public land and huntable.