2013 UT Mule Deer Pack List

rhendrix

WKR
Had some time at work to get some of this put into geargram...curious is you guys have any thoughts as to where I can cut some weight...optics are pretty much outta the question, I'd only be able to cut maybe a pound from the tripod, and I'm just not willing to spend that kinda money. There's some odds and ends that I didn't include, but overall, I think this should suffice for a 10 day hunt...my goal is to have my pack weight less than 50 pounds.

If your hunting in a place with the right water sources you could trade the filter for the iodine tablets?
But like you mentioned most of your cuts will come with a price tag.
What unit are you hunting?

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
I'm just not sure about the water sources yet...I'd rather take the weight hit honestly. I'll be in 17A August 17th to the 29th.

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
I'm really not, that pad is a night and day difference than the thermarest I used in OK. The R-value isn't very high, but it's beyond comfy.

7mag.

WKR
Looks pretty good to me. You could save a few ounces with a Sawyer Squeeze or Sawyer inline (about $50), but the real weight comes with food, weapon, and ammo.

I have the BA q-core and that was the most comfortable pad I tried. They have a super light version of that, see if you can find one to try out. I switched the exped ul-7 for the weight though and it's almost as comfortable.

Should have plenty of water but do understand the filter and I usually carry mine as well. Will you have a chance to do any scouting and cache some supplies?

There's some threads about that q-core sl, guys seem to be liking them. The exped compared to the q-core, the exped doesn't "feel" as durable but I haven't heard they are fragile either.

Rizzy

WKR
Things I would do if that was the load out I was given:

Ditch the trekking poles

Toilet paper and dry handy wipes is all I take

Trade filter for tabs (water purifying tabs)

Ditch one of the tripods, it looks you are packing 2 tripods?

First aid kit looks a little heavy, thin it out a little

It looks like you got a solid setup, it should be a fun hunt.
Your water, food, and weapon is going to add a bunch of weight, you should get all that stuff together next and see what your really going to be packing in. If you don't know the area yet go ahead and assume you will be packing a full water bladder.

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
Personally I think I'll like having the trekking poles as an option in some of the nastier canyons in the Wasatch, especially since I'm solo.

The other tripod is one of those small ones with the flexible legs, it only weighs a couple of ounces.

Ill post up my first aid kit later to see what I can trim.

Last edited:

littlebuf

Banned
trekking poles are essential. is your weapon included in your sub 50# target?

TXCO

WKR
I love trekking poles at this point.

If you are running two tripods you should look for heads that switch out

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
trekking poles are essential. is your weapon included in your sub 50# target?

No, my bow weighs in the neighborhood of 7-8 pounds though, I didn't include it since I assume I'll be hiking with it for the most part. I was shooting for a pound of food a day at 2500 calories at a minimum. Still trying to figure out the food dilemma.

drthornton

Lil-Rokslider
What's the water situation? Is it readily available where you will be hunting? You will blow thru 3 liters quick on a Aug hunt. If there is no water you'll need storage bags or you'll spend all you time back and forth for water.

littlebuf

Banned
No, my bow weighs in the neighborhood of 7-8 pounds though, I didn't include it since I assume I'll be hiking with it for the most part. I was shooting for a pound of food a day at 2500 calories at a minimum. Still trying to figure out the food dilemma.

if you can get 2500 cal a day on 16 oz of food please pass your menu on to me. im around 23 to 25 at 20-22oz a day,. you should consider adding your bow weight to your pack and cutting to maintain your 50# goal. the pack in after all you will probably have your bow strapped to your pack. that is generally the time you try and target,packing in, since after camps set up pack weight isn't much of an issue (packs empty at that point,more or less)