2014 hunt

I am looking into hunting some speed goats this up coming year with archery equipment. Anyone have any good guide/outfitter/public land recommendations. Not set on a state either, but want something that I can get a tag the same year I apply or OTC. Thanks in advance!

Solitude

WKR
Wyoming is calling your name!

Buy a point now ($50 I think) do a tiny bit of research on line through their web page on draw/kill percentages and you will be hunting in 2014!

If you go guided you should have no problems or go DIY and you will see speed goats and have a fun time.

rodney482

WKR
There is tons and tons of public land.

I would not use a guide for an antelope hunt

Buy the point, i would look at areas in eastern WY

tstowater

WKR
You can buy the point for $30 and still buy a leftover tag for this year in Wyoming. Make sure that you know what you are getting into as some of the leftovers are mostly private. Wyoming isn't going to be a lot different than Wisconsin in that some landowners are going to be receptive to hunters for free or a small fee and others dont' want to deal with hunters. A decent chance on antelope as I haven't found a lot of ranchers that are too fond of the antelope. If you haven't been there before, it might be worth the money to consider an outfitter. It depends on your time, resources and expectations.

KHNC

WKR
Outfitters arent all that expensive for antelope ive found. Try Dave Nelson in Wyoming. www.nelsonoutfitters.com or Dan Ardrey in Colorado. www.kiowacreekoutfitters.com . This will save you wasting alot of time looking for them on your own and the hassle of over hunters in your honey hole. Nothing wrong with DIY , but for the price and the amount of time away to travel, this would be my choice. They arent all that hard to hunt. Just having an area to yourself is worth it on a bow hunt.

TEmbry

WKR
One of the easiest hunts to pull off DIY of any out west. I wouldn't waste your money on a guide personally.

mullmann

Lil-Rokslider
My first two and only antelope hunts were in 2011/2012. First year was near Newcastle and the second year was near Lusk WY. I saw a good amount of antelope both years and was successful, 100% DIY. Get yourself the hunting guide that shows the walk in hunt areas (WIHA). If you really want to have a lot of property to hunt get a hunting GPS map and overlay it with the guide. There is a ton of BLM and state trust to hunt that borders a lot of the WIHA. With that being said in 2012 the antelope numbers were down and the game and fish officer told us they were trying to get the numbers down. First because it has been so dry and because of landowner complaints. He stated they needed a hard winter with good snow fall, but if they got it a lot of the antelope wouldn't survive because of no vegetation due to the drought. I am not sure how 2013 was and I don't know how much snow/rain that area has seen since 2012.

H'n'F

Lil-Rokslider
You won't be able to buy a point until July 1. The application deadline for NR is March 15. There are some areas that are pretty good draw odds on zero points and you have a good chance of drawing a tag. Look closely at the walk in areas and the state and BLM land maps and find an area that has good access. There is also a program where you can get permission to hunt private because ranchers want hunters to take them off of their property. Contact WFG and talk to some of those people. You can have a great time on public land and be successful. Good luck.

Topgun 30-06

Banned
You won't be able to buy a point until July 1. The application deadline for NR is March 15. There are some areas that are pretty good draw odds on zero points and you have a good chance of drawing a tag. Look closely at the walk in areas and the state and BLM land maps and find an area that has good access. There is also a program where you can get permission to hunt private because ranchers want hunters to take them off of their property. Contact WFG and talk to some of those people. You can have a great time on public land and be successful. Good luck.

***The guys were discussing this last year while the PP application period was open, so I presume the OP bought a PP last year and will have 1PP to use when he applies before 3/15 for the draw this season. The areas you are referring to are HMAs and WIHAs that the G&F pays ranchers to open their private lands for hunting of certain animals that's agreed upon between the state and the rancher.

Last edited:

HJW

FNG
My first two and only antelope hunts were in 2011/2012. First year was near Newcastle and the second year was near Lusk WY. I saw a good amount of antelope both years and was successful, 100% DIY. Get yourself the hunting guide that shows the walk in hunt areas (WIHA). If you really want to have a lot of property to hunt get a hunting GPS map and overlay it with the guide. There is a ton of BLM and state trust to hunt that borders a lot of the WIHA. With that being said in 2012 the antelope numbers were down and the game and fish officer told us they were trying to get the numbers down. First because it has been so dry and because of landowner complaints. He stated they needed a hard winter with good snow fall, but if they got it a lot of the antelope wouldn't survive because of no vegetation due to the drought. I am not sure how 2013 was and I don't know how much snow/rain that area has seen since 2012.

Rainfall was well above average this year. In eastern Wyoming, it has been between 120-150%, depending on the area. It has been a fairly mild winter as well.