2014 New Mexico Archery Antelope

Outwest

WKR
I just got back from my antelope hunt in Eastern NM. We spent two days hunting and saw plenty of antelope.

The first day ended with 7 failed stalks, many educated antelope, and one 72 yard opportunity. The shot was unethical as the bucks were standing one behind the other so I passed.

The next morning, we glassed up a large group of does right off the bat, we decided that there were no bucks in the group so we moved on to another area. We found one buck by himself in a large, dry lakebed. We tried the decoy, but to no avail. He was out of the country before we could even realize what had happened.
We went all the way back to camp, and set up to glass again in the middle of the day. We found another group of antelope to the east of the group of does, but couldn't tell much about them. Knowing it would be my last opportunity as I only had two days to hunt, we loaded up the truck and drove to get closer. When we arrived we discovered a buck separated off from his does, and he was in a very stalkable position. I took off towards the buck in hopes of cutting him off as he moved back towards the does. I had made my way to 150 yards before he went over the next rise. I quickly ran back to grab my pack and circle around to the other side of the small ridge. As I circled the ridge, I saw the buck standing, looking away at 200 yards. I dropped my pack and started my cherokee sneak towards him. He had moved into a series of small sand dunes and was standing on top of one of them, I saw him, crawled a few more yards, then he was gone. About that time, my buddy who was watching through the spotting scope texted me and said that he had stepped down off of the dune and was looking in my direction. I now knew the gig was up, so I decided to nock an arrow and walk right to that dune. As I arrived at the dune, I peeked over to see horns only 10 yards away. I took a few more crouched steps, drew my bow and stood up. As I stood, he skipped out to 20 yards before he stopped broadside. My arrow zipped through his chest and he dove off of the dune and out of sight. I called my buddy and he said that he had went down seconds after I had shot. The ulmer edge absolutely wrecked him.

This was my first antelope with a bow and it was one of the coolest stalks of my life. I am definitely hooked for life

The new exo 5500 made the pack out even sweeter..

Attachments

• IMG_2018.jpg
    IMG_2018.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 33

CW_12

FNG
Congrats man. A goat with a bow is an awesome accomplishment. Proud for you. I should be chasing them in the morning and on Tuesday.