2014 Project Rifle

IAHNTR

WKR
2014 Project Rifle - need help

Where to start...... I want to build a rifle that I can use on antelope, deer and elk. I also want to be able to shoot paper with it out to 600 yards and maybe game if I get proficient enough on paper. I live in Iowa so we don't really use rifles for anything here except coyotes, which I have a 243 for. I am planning on some upcoming western hunts and would like to have my own rifle and not have to barrow someones for those trips. I do handload for the 243 and I plan to reload for whatever I end up with.

The problem is, is that I don't really know where to start. Well, I know that I need to pick a caliber and then a brand, but what caliber? I have been pouring over the RS, firingline, snipershide and other sites to cram as much info into my head as I can. But sometimes the more you research the more confused you get. What I've come up with for calibers is 280, 280AI, 7 Rem Mag and then the 300s. I "think" that I like the 7 Rem Mag due to bullet choices, availability, less recoil than 300s and a lot of load info and popularity. But, I don't know enough to know enough, if that makes sense. Thoughts on this?

I would probably be putting a better stock, trigger and good scope on it. I am not necessarily looking for a uber lightweight rig like some on here go for. The weight doesn't really matter all that much to me, within reason. I want it to be a pleasure to shoot and something that I will look forward to shooting 20 + times a session.

My rifle budget is around 1500 and around 1k for the scope, looking at the new SHV from Nightforce. Which scopes are another topic to discuss in a future thread.

What do you think I should get? I have no brand loyalty.

I only visit this site and Archerytalk, which is not what it used to be, so RS and the great members will be my main source of info.

Thanks for helping me spend my money. :)

Last edited:

Ray

WKR
I have never liked shooting 7mm mags. The rifle stocks mostly the cause, but the recoil is sharp and hard. A .338 mag is slow and hard and a lot more pleasent to me.

For long range shooting stick to the 300 mag, then decide on rifle weight - 7 to 8 pounds total weight is fine for none backpack hunting - then think about ammo availablity if you lose your luggage or drop a pack, then think about what type of bolt system - controlled round feed or push feed (I have both and can't help you), - then think about how wet the rifle will get and choose stainless or plain.

At your budget I would look at an off the shelf Kimber montana and make sure it shoots well right away. Sometimes their machining gets away from them so you have to make sure the rifle works as soon as you can. Most of their rifles a extremely well made.

Jon Pynch

FNG
in regards to caliber i would not do 7mm or less because you mentioned elk. i know you can kill an elk with a 6mm or 7mm or frankly a rimfire will kill one.
i would stick to the .30's. i've had and have a lot of high dollar customs including the 280AI you mentioned, and i love the 300 RUM, but that may be a bit bigger than you need(can't believe i said that) if you hadn't added elk i would steer you to a 6.5 or 7mm.

here's a thought for you. i just bought a tikka t3 lite in 300wsm because i wanted a gun i didn't mind having bounce around and get beat up a bit unlike my customs. after trying a few different loads in it i found one it liked. it shoots as good as my customs do, and with a little 2.5-10 nightforce on top it's a light, accurate, tough little gun. i've shot it to 1000 yds and it does well. it would be a great little 600 yd gun. it does kick a bit, but you did say you wanted to shoot elk with it...soooo

300 win would be a fine choice as well.

Jager

WKR
Some great advice so far imo.

I agree with Ray on the recoil issue, if you don't mind a 7mm, you'll love a 30 cal.

Perhaps look at a Rem 700 in 300WM, 300WSM, 325WSM or 338WM, mind the WSM can be sharp.

crumy

WKR
I do not have any experience in the custom rifle world and been contemplating that myself. I have a 300 win mag and LOVE IT. I can shoot paper all day 600 yards and even dropped my elk at 502 yards this past year. Using 180 grain Barnes TSX I have a Ruger M77 Hawkeye and it shoots good and is heavy. Probably not as good as some of the guns you will get for 1500 but it does the job and was around 600. I put a Vortex PST scope on top of it.. (due to BBs guidance) and can't be happier. If you are only going to shoot it a few times a year, maybe ease upon price of gun, don't skimp on the scope and use the extra cash to by another side arm or rifle.

I want a 338 soooo bad... Why? Because it is a 338... But me being stingy with money and looking at practicality of things I can't justify it yet because I like the 300 win mag.

I hunt antelope, deer, elk with it. On the antelope... just stay clear of the shoulder and you are good. Otherwise it lets a little too much air in.

jm1607

WKR
I'm just about to buy a Weatherby Vanguard 2 Back Country.. You can find them for about $1100.. I too was set on 7mm but unfortunately it doesn't come in that caliber.. Being that I want to be able to use the rifle for any game in NA (if I ever get the chance) I decided to step up to a 300 win mag rather than down to a .270.. Not sure if this helps but you should at least look into the back country, pretty sick little gun for the money imo..

Jager

WKR
Good choice. I have two mates that have Tikka T3's in both 300 short and long, great, easily handling hunting rifles.

Jon Pynch

FNG
Jm1607 unless you're totally in love with the weatherby vanguard i would suggest against it. they are close to one of the most inaccurate factory guns out there. that may be ok if they weren't also one of the most expensive at the same time. while we've had good luck with the weatherby accumarks in regards to accuracy, the vanguards don't measure up. i think tikka and savage for a decent priced, pretty accurate rifle would be hard to beat and most likely you'll be saving money.

sorry for the highjack:)

handwerk

WKR
Can I ask how much experience you have shooting rifles north of say 25 lbs. of felt recoil? If not much I'd be careful diving into 300 mag world. I'd say look to the good old 06' or 280 AI. If you can't find what you want in factory rifles, with your budget you can put together just the rifle you want. I have a 280 AI based on a pre 64 M70 which I consider a great all-arounder for what you looking to hunt and has the reach you need w/o distracting recoil.

bradb

WKR
I kind of like the last idea. Would probably check who did the work first

Shrek

WKR
Or, if you like remy actions just buy the 280 AI in the classifieds, cut 2" off the barrel and start shooting!
Or not cut the barrel and load it with some H1000 , Rl25 , 7828sc ect behind a 168gr berger classic and kill anything you come across in the west to 800 yards.

bradb

WKR
I wouldn't necessarily cut it, though I feel 24 seems more handy to me. I was more saying it looks to be a good deal on a used rifle. I do think a used rifle can be a great way to go. If the person that did the work and selling is reputable

littlebuf

Banned
for what your describing you want to do with a riffle do your self a favor (out to 600yrds). just buy a tikka. they have a factory adjustable trigger shoot sub MOA out of the box and only get better from there with hand loading. then spend the money you saved on a nice scope with adjustable turrets for it. spend the time and money loading and shooting to get it where you want it at 600 yrds. my 2 cents

My higher end suggestions for what they're worth.
Kimber Montana
Weatherby Mark V Ultralight
Sako Finnlight

More budget conscious suggestions.
Tikka Super Light
Weatherby Backcountry Vanguard
Winchester Extreme Weather

OP
IAHNTR

IAHNTR

WKR
Can I ask how much experience you have shooting rifles north of say 25 lbs. of felt recoil? If not much I'd be careful diving into 300 mag world. I'd say look to the good old 06' or 280 AI. If you can't find what you want in factory rifles, with your budget you can put together just the rifle you want. I have a 280 AI based on a pre 64 M70 which I consider a great all-arounder for what you looking to hunt and has the reach you need w/o distracting recoil.

I have no idea how much recoil 25 lbs. is. The most recoil I've shot is my shotgun with a 2 1/4 oz. turkey load. I'm not really worried about the recoil. I just don't want a super light/larger cal gun. Now that some have mentioned to just go with a 30 cal. I'm not thinking why anymore, but why not.

I stopped at the local stoore tonight and the only 300 was a Montana Rifle in 300 WSM that I think is along the lines in what I'm looking for. I have checked a few sites and they get some mixed reviews.