2015 ELK Photo Contest

54b57791bd2bc911c90ba618fa378719.jpg

Got this guy solo so I got crappy pics. First elk Colorado otc. Shot at 8 yards.

North idaho bull snuck in on him while he was chasing cows he was the king of the mountain or at least acted like it

Attachments

• IMG_20140917_081707.jpg
    IMG_20140917_081707.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 213

H82miss

FNG

My first elk. My buddy cow called to a group of 6 cows that were headed up the other side of a hill. She turned and charged down the hill and up the hillside I was standing on. Shot her broadside at 35 yards. 100 yard recovery. All 4 guys in camp tagged out. Great year!!

Last edited:

Wileycoyote

Lil-Rokslider
11bef0fd486d91202fab3ead74275f1e.jpg

Hiked in five miles setup spike camp at dark, heard elk bugling above me all night long. Got up the next morning at first light and got this guy at 15 yards just 100 yards out of camp. He had 30 cows he was pushing around. Definitely a memory for the rest of my life. 24" 3rd point.

jcoop7

FNG
2015 Southeast Idaho OTC public land.

Elk 1.jpg

First Elk, First Kill with a Bow!! Spot and stalked this bull from over a mile away. Was able to get a 40 yd shot at him uphill, quartering away right at last light. Followed a massive blood trail only 80 yards from where I shot him to where he expired. Didn't have any help or head lamp so I had to leave him till the next morning. Couldn't be happier with how things turned out. Is it next year yet? ;).

Unoboats

WKR
2015 Idaho Archery Elk.jpg
This is my first elk as well as first Elk with a Bow. I am normally a long range rifle shooter. While hunting Deer in Idaho last year a friend challenged me to come back and elk hunt with a bow. So not being one to back down from a challenge I picked up the bow, now the shot was at 65 yards and was able to watch the Bull expire just 40 yards from the shot, while there were 10 more bulls present. we sneaked out as to not rattle the other Bulls as I had a friend who was hunting in that unit as well, and came back later that night to retrieve him. What a rush for an old fart. I beleive I am hooked on Bow hunting again. Thanks Rokslide for all the help I retrieved online from you guys.
Chip Bell

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

GOnDEEP

Lil-Rokslider

Exactly how I found him when he finally expired, right next to his rub. Tough pack out but well worth the reward.

RCR

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 29010
This was a milestone year for me, turning 50. My goal was to hunt solo in an OTC unit, kill an elk, and recover it all on my own. First morning out I blew an opportunity on a nice bull. Bull Fever got the best of me. I had an opportunity on this cow later in the day and was able to capitalize with one arrow from 35 yards. Funny how that works when you don't have a bunch of antler to distract you. Three trips in one day to recover camp and elk about 1 1/2 miles in at 10K+. I'm not sure what the goal will be for next year, but I'll probably throw antlers into the equation somewhere.

Last edited:
First backcountry archery bull with my best friend. OTC hunt for three days about 5 miles in. Good times

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:

JNDEER

WKR
First time hunting elk, first time hunting out of state for my brother and cousin, first elk killed.

Attachments

• us elk.jpg
    us elk.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 198

Rocky

WKR
Basically I was at the right place at the right time, but that is part of hunting. My hunting partner and I split up to work through some timber. I noticed some fresh sign and then spotted two cows feeding about 40 yards away from me. I moved up and got behind a tree and nocked an arrow as I waited to see if there was a bull with the cows. Less than a minute later the bull stepped out. Much to my surprise he didn't follow the cows as they feed away. Instead he continued to slowly move from left to right. I actually drew and held on him twice anticipating a shot , but had to let down because of where he stopped. Then he slowly started to turn to walk away. This presented me with a chance to draw and shoot though a small window. I didn't get a chance to range him but guessed him at 30 and released the arrow. The shot hit its mark and entered on his right side just in front of his right hind quarter and stopped when it hit the shoulder blade on the front left leg. There was very little blood so we had to follow his tracks and found him about 100 yards from where he was when I shot.

Much respect for these animals!

ndbuck09

WKR
Idaho DIY Public Land OTC

My quest for elk began 6 years ago hunting the backcountry of the West Elk Wilderness in Colorado with my college buddy, traveling from the flat lands of Indiana to do so. Along the journey we picked up my brother as we hunted in Montana for a few years. With my move to Idaho in the fall of 2014, I was afforded the time to scout and really learn a spot this summer. It all paid off as I called in a silent bull that served as my brother's first Elk on September 10th. After getting his bull off the mountain and back to town, we took a two day rest before heading out in search of my first Elk. As we awoke and ate breakfast that first morning back in the mountains on September 14th, we could hear a bull bugling pretty close to our camp which led to us waiting until shooting light to leave our tents. The first hunt back in the mountains paid off with my brother cow calling the heavy bull in to 18 yards only to have the bull facing me straight on. After he bugled in my face and whirled, we both cow called and turned the bull back to us, albeit up on a steep meadow above the patch of trees we were in. I slid sideways a few feet, found a window and ranged it at 52. The bull walked into my shooting window only to receive a cow call which stopped him perfectly followed by the perfect 50 yard arrow that drilled him through the heart. He ran 20 yards, my brother started yelling that I got him, and the bull dropped and rolled 80 yards down the slope! The hunt for my bull had taken 15 minutes! DIY Idaho Public Land and my brother and I had both gotten our first bulls!! Here is the picture of my heavy bull!! (btw, I'm in the KUIU)
Josh Bull.jpg

21749728175_d90a8e5f81_k.jpg
[/url]Josh Bull by jmille28, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited: