2015 NV Bull

Here is my 2015 Nevada bull. I was super excited when I drew my first bull tag here in Nevada. We went on a few scouting trips and located a giant 8x6 that I had my heart set on. Unfortunately, the water in the area dried up and he disappeared. None of the Bulls were answering to calls and weren't very vocal. Another problem that I was facing, was going to college. I was trying to run up on Thursdays after class and hunt Friday Saturday and Sunday and do it all over again the week after. Therefore, I couldn't really pattern these Bulls. The last weekend came and I was only going to have 2 days to hunt. Day 1 of my last weekend I got on a beautiful 7x6 and never got a shot. On Sunday(which was going to be my last day) I sat water in the morning in hopes I would fill my tag. I really wanted to get it done spot and stalk but got desperate since it was my last day. Well, that didn't work either. My buddies that were with me knew that there had been some Bulls starting to rut down in the flats. I was about to give up. But then we picked out a bull thrashing his horns in the willows. We had no idea how we were going to get on him. We pulled out my Montana decoy and walked straight at him and cow called. He had 30 cows with him and was all fired up. We had to walk 700 yards across the flat to get to him. When we got close, his cows began to blow out, but he was super interested in the decoy. He stuck around and bugled at me one last time. 1 perfectly placed shot and he expired within a minute.
52161b21102a96396b0a2bc515286e07.jpg
63496744212aee1b85a21d5220c2e052.jpg
54e04477a271acf3cdef2decd1aec0da.jpg
dc7ace84ae855d3b67f2b41e9aece7f0.jpg

Last edited:
Man that is a great bull. What I will say next may be controversial but, I don't know how I feel about a 107 yard archery shot on alive, aware animal. Even if you can hit that shot stationary under no stress all day, I just think there is too great a chance for animal movement on that long of a shot. I am more than happy for you, no doubt.

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider
Very cool story and awesome bull! Like MuleyFever said not a big fan of the 107 yard shot. Again, to each his own, but I would rather not see the yardage mentioned. I think it just distracts from an awesome bull. I must say though, great shot and great bull. Congrats!

Rockey

FNG
great story and great bull, he is a stud for sure. Great shot too, regardless of yardage. We have all seen or heard of people taking risky shots at 40,50, or 60 yards but nobody ever says much to them....#whywepractice

Last edited:

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ps. Please keep your opinions to yourself on ethics. We are ALL hunters and have bigger fish to fry than bickering over something that divides us.

Killing a bull with a bow isn't easy especially in nv.

Like elk guides advise to the op, the delete button for mods may be used if this continues.

That's a beautiful bull. I recall seeing your story somewhere else. Did you post it on here before?

Also what does it score being a 5x6?

OP
MonsterMuley31
Hey thanks for all of the positive comments and feedback!. I know it sounds crazy and I doubt anyone agrees with what I did. For me, it was that or tag soup. Since it was in the flats I could see everything. The bull died within 45 seconds to a minute max. I'm 22 and didn't want to wait til I was 35 to have a chance again to kill a bull here in NV. I had opportunities at Bulls out to 70 and didn't take them early in the because I really did want to shoot one within 40. I felt comfortable with my ability to take a 70 yard shot but passed on Bulls to try and get closer. I hunted a total of 9 days and it came down to the wire.He deceived everyone. He taped out at 328. I didn't care about score and was just thankful to God for this opportunity because it truly was a blessing the way it ended.

Hell of a bull, and adventure.

You worked hard off season and during season, it all paid off!

Congrats straight up stud

elkyinzer

WKR
Congrats, really one of the cooler bulls I've ever seen the way he carries that mass all the way out to those giant whale tails.

As for the shot distance, all I will say is that I may well have made the same choice at the age of 22, but through the filter of life lessons I certainly would not today. Someday such a choice will backfire and hopefully you'll learn from it. Such is life right there my friend.