2015 Oregon Mule Deer Hiunt

2015 Oregon Mule Deer Hunt

Oregon public land hunt. This was a very special hunt for me. My dad has always been a large part of my hunting life and one of my best friends. Like many can relate, he has been a meat hunter since he was young. Didn't matter if it was a spike, fork or a cow. If he had a tag it would be punched opening morning if he had a chance. And when he was done he was very excited to have the animal in the freezer. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. We ate lots of fish and wild game growing up. So for this hunt I wanted to do everything I could to put him on a good buck. I also had a tag and would only hunt after his buck was taken. This hunt was time to give back and I was extremely excited to get started.

Part 1
The first day started off with a hike in the dark. I knew the area very well and what potential there was. As the sun crested over the ridge deer were spotted below us. Three bucks: one small fork, a little three and a wide 3x4. The 3x4 was almost 26 wide with thick horns. I put my dad behind the spotting scope so he could determine if this was his shooter. This buck was bigger than anything my dad had taken before. I had spent much time prepping him on being selective for this hunt. To my shock he said he wanted a 4x4 and it being a 3x4 wouldn't due. I was a little shocked due to my first impression of the buck. But as I have learned, you never press someone into shooting an animal. It was his tag and he would decide. We watched the buck for about 10 minutes as it sparred with the little three point. Something spooked them and as they ran off my dad was watching through the spotting scope. He turned and looked at me and said "That was a nice buck. If we see him again I am going to shoot him. We should be able to find him tomorrow?" I laughed. Good bucks don't always give you second chances.

We continued our hike and finished on top of a far ridge. On the hike we only saw a hand full of does and another small buck. We set up camp and went to collect water. The whole time my dad was talking about the 3x4. I was planning of hunting a different drainage the next day but realized my dad had his mind made up on the 3x4. That night we set up on a high point and glassed down the drainage we came up. A few more small bucks were spotted but nothing worth a second look.

Camp the first night.

When we woke up the next day we sitting on the same spot as the previous night. As I glassed way down the canyon, I spotted a couple bucks. They were close to where the 3x4 disappeared. I knew he had to be close. So we pack up camp and headed down that way. Once we got close, I set up camp again just over the hill from where we would glass. It was about noon when we posted up to glass. I found the two bucks right away. I started gridding the area with my spotting scope. Just then I heard my dad talking to someone. Oh great passed through my mind. I stood up and walked over the ridge to see my dad smiling and talking to two guys. Turns out they used to work with my dad before he retired. They had shot a real nice buck the day before and packed it out last night. The other guy still had a tag and they were headed back to the camp. I told them that we just sat down and were looking for a wide 3x4. I pointed out the other bucks when one of the guys says "There is a good buck." I pulled him up in the spotter and sure enough it was him. He was about 500 yards below bedded down. I put my dad on him with the spotter just to verify if he still wanted the buck. As he was looking I started getting my backpack ready for a stock. Then I hear the guys say "There is another buck walking toward the 3x4." I grab the spotter from my dad. I take a look. It was another 3x4 with good height. The buck keeps walking and beds 10 yards from the wide 3x4.

The wide 3x4 on the second day.

Second 3x4 walking to bedding spot.

I asked the one guy if he would like to shoot the buck they just spotted. He said yes. Now was the dilemma on how to do the stock and get both. We made a plan to hike down away and down the ridge. After we were far enough we would drop over in the draw and side hill back. There was a ledge just above the flat the bucks were bedded on. It took about an hour to get into position. On the stock we jumped a couple of bucks. One was a 22 inch 4x4 with good mass and a nice frame. Luckily I was carrying the gun or my dad might have punched his tag. With hand signals from about we edged our way over the bench. Both bucks were still bedded in the same spot. We now were about 150 yards out. I set my dad up with a good rest. The other guy had a good rest and after discussion we decided to let my dad shoot first and then he would shoot. Boom.....boom!!!!! My dad's buck never got up. I looked over to the other guy and he had the same reaction. Excited yelling was heard from above as he was able to watch both bucks in the spotter drop their heads within 2 seconds of each other. As we walked down to them we were in awe.

Picture as we walked up on both bucks, less that 10 yards apart.

I have been in a similar situation before but not with them so close together.

We boned them out and headed back up and out. My dads friends offered to help pack part of my dad's buck out so he wouldn't have to. Once we hit the top, I packed up camp and threw it on my back. We hiked out in the glow of the head lamps with aching legs and backs. Part one of the hunt was complete. We headed back to my dads house to recoup, resupply and rest.

Here are a few pics. I left pics and names of my dad's friends out for privacy for them since I didn't ask to post for them.

Last edited:
OP
Jagermiester
Part 2

We made it to my dads house. Cleaned up the meat and started planning for the second part of the hunt. I wasn't going to shoot anything but a wall hanger till the last day. My friends dad had a tag also. We were going to meet up with them and ride horses into a spot to ease up on the packing.

The first day had us riding and setting up camp.
That evening I had to get out even though a storm had arrived and it started coming down. Out on a ridge I spotted a group of bucks. They ranged from a fork to average four point. I could barely glass with the rain filling up my binos. I hiked back to camp soaked but excited for the morning. The storm was suppose to be short. Back as camp I dried off and told the crew what I saw. If it cleared by morning we should see a decent amount of animals drying out in the open. Morning came with us hiking to head lamp light. When we arrived on a ridge we discussed going separate ways and meeting up down the ridge. We split and went separate ways. As my dad and I crested over the edge I spotted a deer about a mile away. Trying to go a little lighter weight I left my spotter and tripod at camp. I regretted it at this moment. The deer was about 30 yards from cresting the ridge into some timber. I put my rifle scope on him since it went to 16x. The buck had a good frame but it was to far to tell if he had anything special. I knew he wasn't a monster but I knew the area produced heavy dark horned bucks I would attach my tag to. So the race began to cut him off before he hit the timber. He was moving slow, feeding up.

Twenty minutes later we reached a knob were we could glass. If the buck was going to crest over he would only be a couple hundred yards away. Just as we sat down I spotted a buck coming over. I layed down and jacked a shell in. As I pulled up on him I was a little disappointed. He didn't have the frame I remembered seeing. He was a 4x4 with a whitetail looking frame. Main beam with points coming off of it. He had six inch eye guards. Younger buck with no mass. Of course my dad is to my side saying he looks cool, shoot him. LOL.

We watched him for a little bit as he wandered to his bedding area. We decided to keep making our way down the ridge. We made it down to a small bench. As I looked around I noticed the whitetail looking buck came from a different area than the one we saw at first light. So I bailed over the edge to see if I could find the other bucks tracks. Not long and I was able to pick them up. Just then I heard shots ring out. They were coming from up the ridge where my buddy and his dad were. I make my way back onto the top. I followed the tracks into some brush. And of course, I jump him. I sprint to a small knob to see if I can get a look. Nothing. He headed into a timber thicket with blow downs. We had just missed him when we saw the whitetail buck. It was now getting warmer. We decided to wrap around the thicket and see if we could push that buck back out in the open. He wouldn't be making any mistakes though. We radioed our friends and caught up to them on top of the ridge.

They had seen multiple bucks right after we saw them. The rain brought a bunch out in the open. My friends dad took a couple shoots at a big heavy horned buck. The buck had very light colored horns which is very unusual for the area. He wasn't able to connect. They had saw us push the timber thicket. We pushed two bucks out and over the side where I saw the bucks in the morning. So we headed back down the ridge to see if they were still over the side. I went down the ridge with my buddy and his friend leaving our dads ontop still. We popped out on a point and started glassing. Right away a buck crests back over the ridge.

I drop down and pull him up in my scope. He was a unique looking 4x4. He was only about 23-24 wide but had good height and his fronts wrapped out far. He too had a whitetail looking frame. I looked hard at shooting him. He was a borderline buck. I decided to pass. If he would have had mass I wouldn't hesitate.

We called our dads down to take a look and him. When they showed up the buck had had enough of us and left. We still knew there should be another buck down below us. My buddy's dad got a rest and I walked the ridge down a little further to see if I could push him out. Sure enough, I hear rocks rolling below me but I can't see him. The guys spotted the buck. I sat down and waited, trying to get a look at him (which I never did). Within 20 seconds a shot rang out. I hiked back up and met the crew. They said the buck was just inside the timber when he shot. They weren't sure how big but the buck had good mass.

It took up 20 minutes to find the buck. Like always it looks a lot different when you get there. The only purple bush you saw as a marker, yep there is 50 of them once you get there. The buck was his biggest to date. It was about 25 wide, heavy dark, 4x5 with a cool drop/kicker.

We quartered the buck up and hung it in some shade. We packed the head out and headed back to camp. I cant remember the evening hunt that night. I think I went out another ridge and didn't see anything.

OP
Jagermiester
Part 3

With two days left I decided to go back to the same ridge in the morning. I was hoping to find the big buck that my buddy's dad missed the day before.

Side Story "The Rodeo"
I gave my dad a chance to rest for the last part of the hunt. The day we rode the horses in there, provided a couple rodeos thanks to some hornet nests in the ground. The first horse would stir em up as they stomped on the ground. By the time the 4th rider was passing through the hornets were primed and ready to rumble. I was in the front. My horse would alert me to the pregame and a little kick from me would push us into the box seats awaiting the main event. After the first time, my dad knew what was coming up next. Every time my dad performed like a true cowboy. He would grab hair, hide, saddle horn and if he was lucky the reins. The screaming and yelling at the horse would get quieter as the dust would fly. Full concentration was needed to avoid the trees as he glided through. Circles and bucks, across the trail this way and back across the trail the other way. Luckily we were on flat ground when shoot would open. Turns out all that violent action of up and down on the saddle busted his balls. He walked bull legged for a week and let everyone know it. I forgot all about it until I started writing this story. Brings a smile to my face and a tear to my eye. Alright back to the hunt!

With my dad on bed rest my buddy was my hunting partner here out. As the light hit the ridge, we made our way though some light brush. We jumped a three point that stayed out 100 yards. He was curious and kept looking back. The saddle ridge that had the big buck on it before was empty of deer. We made is over the top and decided to still hunt through an open snag patch. In the patch was a group of five bucks with the biggest being an average four point. We made a couple hour loop back up the ridge. It was almost noon now so we talked about heading to the very top of the ridge which we hadn't hunted yet. As we sat down to glass on top, my buddy says he has a good buck spotted. It was on top of the same ridge as us close the edge about 200 yards away. I put my video camera on him and zoomed in. I couldn't believe it. It was the same buck we saw yesterday that I passed on. I had now nick named him the "dagger buck" due to his long points. He was about two miles up the ridge from the day before. With only one day left and the weather getting warmer I decided he would be a great european mount. We talked about trying to get closer to get a better shot. Due to his position and location it was not possible. He had picked that best possible spot to bed with multiple escape routes. I laid down on the ground and used my pack for a rest. Squeezed the trigger. Booooom. Up and gone he went. A very low point in the hunt. We tried tracking him but the ground was to hard. This is one area I wish I was better at. He went 40 yards and tracks vanished. Back down the ridge we went. A little cat nap put us into prime glassing time in the evening. We sat on the side of the ridge glassing a small bowl. It didn't take long to hear something below us. Out came two bucks feeding. One was a 24-25 inch young three point with good genetics.

The other was a dark horned 4 point with weak forks. We watched them for a bit and took pics.

With an hour left of light. We headed back to glass the saddle ridge where the big buck was seen. The sun was going down when we spotted two bucks up on top. They were about 400 yards out in some open regrowth. Again I didn't bring my spotting scope to save weight. You would think I would learn!! It was just getting two dark at that distance to tell how big they were. One was a little bigger with a good frame but I still couldn't be sure they weren't spindle horned bucks. Back to camp in the head light lamps we went.

So for the last day my buddy talked me into riding the horses into a farther area. Before light we were saddled up ridding out. I had never been to this area before and was excited to check out new country. On the ride we saw a few does on the trail.

As we approached the new area we tied up the horses and headed the rest of the way on foot. Like most of my hunts we ended up on another ridge glassing a big basin. Two hours of hard glassing only picked up a forky. The heat was proving to be a factor in the movement of animals. Back towards the horses we headed. We made a detour just prior to the horses. Two secluded burned benches were hidden by a timber patch. They looked very promising with well used beds throughout. I guarantee there a few big boys enjoying the summer here. Another couple hours spent glassing with nothing spotted. There had to be deer in there. So a threw a few big rocks below me. Wouldn't you know it. Three does came running out. I was getting a little discouraged at this point. It was just about noon on the last day and my season was almost over. My buddy and me talked about the game plan. We would ride back to camp and grab a snack. Then we would hike back to the main ridge.

It was blazing hot as we crested the ridge. We made a rookie mistake and weren't paying attention to what was around us. Thud, thud, thud..... Out in the open ran two bucks 75 yards out. I drop down to a knee and threw up gun. The last one hits my scope. Average buck. My buddy tells me the front one was smaller. The bucks were headed to the saddle ridge. The plan was to glass the small bowl were we saw the dark horned 4x4 buck the night before. I thought he might come back in and I would take him being the last night. If he wasn't there we would loop around and glass the saddle ridge at last light. We posted up and started glassing. My buddy sat on a rocky bluff below me. It wasn't long till he came up the hill towards me with a grin on his face. He said the 4x4 just walked below him with another buck and were headed to the bowl. Anticipation was high due to him taking an hour to go 100 yards and into view. With him was a different buck tonight. A large heavy 2x3 still in velvet. If he would have been a four on both sides I would have took him. He had that cool factor. I had a great rest and waited till the 4x4 would give me the perfect shot. They had no idea we were there.

Finally he turned broadside. Boom. He staggered and trotted down hill. Boom. And down he went. Both shots connected in the boiler room.

As darkness closed in we boned the buck out and loaded down our packs. What a great feeling with all the tags being filled. Not another person around and your out in the woods prepping some meat for family and friends. Another night hiking in head lamp light. What a hunt. My dad took his biggest buck to date. We were part of double on a couple nice bucks. My buddy's dad took his biggest. I was able to fill my tag on the last night. And all of that was probably 5% of the hunt. With the planning being most of the hunt. I am very thankful that each year I get to start this process over again.

Hokkaido

Banned
Excellent hunt and well written story! Thanks for sharing all that. Was this in a wilderness? I've got 14 points for my home state of Oregon, not sure which hunt to take. Congrats to your dad and you as well, he must be proud.

OP
Jagermiester
Excellent hunt and well written story! Thanks for sharing all that. Was this in a wilderness? I've got 14 points for my home state of Oregon, not sure which hunt to take. Congrats to your dad and you as well, he must be proud.

Yes this was in the Wilderness.

ceng

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for sharing. It was a fun read sounds like an awesome trip.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Amazing time to spend with your dad. Thanks for sharing it was an awesome recap

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Clarktar

WKR
Really good read. Those are some nice deer. Good job! I hope to hunt Oregon one day.