2016 Mystery Ranch GLF Metcalf vs NICE Metcalf questions answered

blackovis

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at a few different threads it’s clear that there are a lot of questions about the new hunting line up from Mystery Ranch. I’d like to try and address a lot of those questions here. Specifically I’ll be looking at the Guide Light Frame compared to the NICE frame, and the older version of the Metcalf bag vs the new 2016 Metcalf.

How will the Guide Light Frame Compare to the NICE frame in performance?

In terms of the Guide Light Frame’s load capabilities it’s going to match the performance of the NICE frame. Durability remains to be seen as no one has really been able to put the “miles” on the GLF but I don’t see anything that would make me worry about the long term durability. The stays are slightly thinner on the GLF but it has 4 vertical and 3 horizontal full-length stays vs the 3 vertical and 3 horizontal full -length stays on the NICE frame. The NICE frame with the lift kit gives you 2 more half-length vertical stays and all the NICE frames also have a small frame panel. To come up with the GLF Mystery Ranch basically took the Lift Kit stays and extended them all the way to the bottom of the frame, removed the vertical stay in the middle of the frame, removed the frame panel, and removed excess material in between stays. Removing all these items in addition to the changes on the waist belt (which I’ll address later) is largely where all the weight savings are coming from. The GLF yoke sheath is slightly shorter and much lighter than the NICE frame sheath which is another area they shaved some weight. The new stay configuration on the GLF combined with the new material between and surrounding the stays creates a platform nearly identical to the NICE in terms of rigidity, torsional flexibility, and load hauling.
20160401_113221 (1).jpg
Pictured above: Guide Light frame on Left, NICE frame with Lift Kit on right

What’s new about the hip belt? How solid is the connection between the belt and frame?

The hip belt on the GLF is lighter and has thinner foam but according to testers it’s actually more comfortable than the NICE frame belt. It’s contoured as a single piece rather than having connection points like the 3 piece NICE belt. Andrew Jakovac gave us a training on the packs and in that training he told us about testing the GLF next to the NICE frame on an elk hunt in Idaho. He and his hunting partner loaded 1 GLF and 1 NICE frame each with 145lbs (they weighed them in the field to verify they were the same weight) and on the pack out they would switch packs about every mile. He said as they neared the end of the pack out they were fighting over who got to use the GLF as it was simply more comfortable. The thicker padding and pinch points where the belt pieces connect to one another on the NICE frame were said to create “raspberries” on their hips whereas the GLF wasn’t creating those hotspots with the contoured belt. The belt to frame connection on the GLF is solid just like the NICE frame has been in the past; I’d be surprised to see any issues there.
View attachment 36139View attachment 36140View attachment 36141View attachment 36142
Pictured above from L to R: GLF belt (top) vs NICE belt (bottom), same thing different angle, GLF with belt removed, and NICE frame with belt removed.

Will the old bags fit the new frame/ Old frame with new bags
?

Upon testing the two personally I found that the 2 systems are very compatible with the Metcalf bags (I didn’t have other bags on hand to try but imagine the same would hold true). Putting the old bag on the GLF only requires removing 2 sets of male buckles from the old bag where the load shelf attaches to the frame and the bottom rear portion of the bag, and using the remaining straps to feed through cinch cords in those locations. To put the new bag on the NICE frame you just have to reverse that and steal the extra buckles from the old bag to attach them to the new one. Besides changing those buckles there are 2 cinch straps on the old frame and bag that are missing from the GLF and new bag. They are located just above the waist belt on the NICE frame and bag. Not having that strap is not a big deal in my opinion and it can be tucked away back into the frame.
View attachment 36143View attachment 36144View attachment 36145View attachment 36146View attachment 36147
Pictured above from L to R: GLF with old Metcalf bag attached and NICE frame with new Metcalf, same as pic 1, GLF with NICE bag, same, swapped bag/frame comparison where they don't match up

Can I mix and match parts of the NICE frame and GLF, specifically yokes and belts?

If you want to mix and match the yokes between frames you would need to attach male buckles on to the load lifter straps of the GLF yoke for a GLF yoke + NICE frame conversion. To go the other way with it – GLF with a NICE yoke – you would just remove the male buckles from the load lifter straps on the NICE yoke and feed them through the cinch strap at the top of the GLF. On either of these conversions the back pad and yoke sheath would just stay with whatever yoke it came from. Each back panel fits into the other frame just fine.
DSC_0038.jpgDSC_0018.jpgDSC_0017.jpg
Pictured above: GLF on left NICE on right, NICE yoke pulled apart on left with GLF yoke on right, NICE yoke sheath and GLF sheath

The belts are really the only portion that is not compatible. If you take the GLF belt out you’ll find that the lumbar support for the GLF is attached to the frame and not the belt, whereas the NICE frame belt itself contains the lumbar support. In other words if it were possible to switch belts- which it’s not because of the way they attach to the frame anyway- you would end up with either no lumbar support (NICE frame+GLF belt), or a ridiculously large lumbar support (GLF+NICE belt). Long story short, don’t try to switch belts, it won’t work.

Hip belt pouches on the GLF?

The old hip belt pouches work fine on the new GLF belt, and the new belt will have pouches as well they just won’t have the tactical mole style webbing so there may be a bit more sliding forward and back along the webbing.

Does the new Metcalf still have the full length side zipper?

Yes, that zipper does not stop at the top of the stretchy pocket like some guys have wondered. It continues all the way down to the bottom of that pocket. Overall length is slightly shorter compared to older models however, because the new Metcalf bag is slightly shorter (only an inch or two).

Can I buy the GLF separate from the new bags?

We have been told that Mystery Ranch will not be selling the bags and frames separate in this first year. After that we anticipate that you will be able to purchase one or the other but that is still up in the air for now. They didn’t give us a direct reason as to why they won’t sell separate this year. My best guess?… Logistically in moving into the retail channel it makes sense to keep things simple and just sell the units as a system. It’s much easier for a retailer to sell everything rather than have all the pieces and spend time customizing each order. I know it only takes a short time to put them together but that is my best guess… don’t take it as more than that. The other part is that I think they just want guys to get the new system in their hands and use it as a whole, experience the product as it was designed.

Conclusion:

Hopefully this wasn’t too long guys. I really wanted to try and help some of you out with questions that you might have. In all I think the GLF and new bags are going to be an excellent option for your hunts this fall. Although they’re going about business in a new way, I think you can still expect Mystery Ranch quality products. Let us know if you guys have questions that I didn't touch on. Also we'll be doing a video review soon as well so when that's done we'll post a link here. Thanks guys!

PS. Sorry for the issues with the pictures.... some showed up as thumbnails, others as attachments but for the most part you should be able to view them all.

Last edited:

boom

WKR
I'm waiting for them to be available.
Thanks for taking the time to explain it.

Sent via Jedi mind trick.

OP
blackovis

blackovis

Lil-Rokslider
Great video. Hopefully MR will make the guide-light frames available separately in the future.
That would be nice.. I know a lot of guys love their 2015 bags.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Dameon

WKR
No joke, if they made them available and if you put them on Camofire, they would sell out in an hour. Camofire is like crack for gear junkies.

OP
blackovis

blackovis

Lil-Rokslider
Haha, seriously. Everyone I've talked to who knows about it says the same thing. If MR gives us the opportunity, I guarantee you'll see them on there. That would be just too good to pass up.

OP
blackovis

blackovis

Lil-Rokslider
The latest I have heard is late June.. Crossing my fingers that it'll be sooner.