2017 EXO pack worth the extra money?

SquidHC

Lil-Rokslider
I need to purchase a bag for the K2 frame I picked up. Seems like you can pick up used 2016 3500 bags all day long. Is it worth the extra $80+ to buy a new 2017 bag given their new bag design?

Thanks.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

W.D. Crawford

Lil-Rokslider
In my opinion yes, especially if you hunt in a wet environment as the new bags have the ability to have a liner snap in and if you run with a bladder they redesigned the bladder sleeve to be a little bigger. Be aware how ever that Exo is running about 4 weeks behind if you go the new bag route.

ElkNut1

WKR
Interesting! we have all 3 models & have been in some serious rain & snows, so far no items have been wet that were inside the pack. The pack appears wet for sure but wicks rain pretty slick as is. I know I wouldn't bother with a cover on our style of elk hunts! I guess if you hunted some real bad rains for days on end it would be worth considering, but for most stuff their packs do very well as is!

ElkNut1

W.D. Crawford

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting! we have all 3 models & have been in some serious rain & snows, so far no items have been wet that were inside the pack. The pack appears wet for sure but wicks rain pretty slick as is. I know I wouldn't bother with a cover on our style of elk hunts! I guess if you hunted some real bad rains for days on end it would be worth considering, but for most stuff their packs do very well as is!

ElkNut1
Wasn't ripping on Exo's packs I have one and love it. I was just going off what they were saying about the new packs.:)

EsteemGrinders

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with Elknut. Never had any water in my 2016 Bag or contents wet. That said I see not the reason you could not use their dry bag in 2016 if you felt the need as the shape of the bag is the same. I will say if For me, I do not like the new bag beeing roll. Seems like a pain. I just bought a NOS 2016 5500 bag for this reason. The only thing I see I like about the new bag is the spot for water bladder but mine always go in a side pocket anyway so YMMV.

I agree with Elknut. Never had any water in my 2016 Bag or contents wet. That said I see not the reason you could not use their dry bag in 2016 if you felt the need as the shape of the bag is the same. I will say if For me, I do not like the new bag beeing roll. Seems like a pain. I just bought a NOS 2016 5500 bag for this reason. The only thing I see I like about the new bag is the spot for water bladder but mine always go in a side pocket anyway so YMMV.

Agree with your sentiments... the 2015-2016 was big enough of an improvement that I got on board... don't feel the need for the 2017... don't care for a roll top either.

I have a pack cover I use when the weather is nasty... but the bag is supposed to be mostly waterproof anyway.

I sold all of my 2016 k2 2000 setup after seeing the upgrades they made for 2017. What really sold me was the upgrades they made to the frame as far as the hipbelt. I see that alone being a big difference. I also bought the 5500 because I needed a bigger bag. The newly designed bladder sleeve looks like a nice addition. Looking forward to getting everything hopefully in a couple weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

SquidHC

Lil-Rokslider
I sold all of my 2016 k2 2000 setup after seeing the upgrades they made for 2017. What really sold me was the upgrades they made to the frame as far as the hipbelt. I see that alone being a big difference. I also bought the 5500 because I needed a bigger bag. The newly designed bladder sleeve looks like a nice addition. Looking forward to getting everything hopefully in a couple weeks.

I already have a 2016 K2 frame with belt. What did they change on the belt?

OP
S

SquidHC

Lil-Rokslider
Just an aside, couldn't you just treat the bag with some sort of waterproofing spray or something, as opposed to adding the weight of a dry bag? I mean I get it for monsoons and such, but for the rare fall sprinkle I can't imagine it being an issue. I have heard other people not like the new roll top as well.

EsteemGrinders

Lil-Rokslider
I already have a 2016 K2 frame with belt. What did they change on the belt?

The only thing different is is has a little cup built into the belt somewhat like Kafiru it vs being flat. It that is something you want you can buy the new belt for $40.

I 100% think the new packs are worth it. For me the extra material in the snow collar just added bulk and was always just wadded up in a mess. I really appreciate the clean and simple functionality of the roll top. That plus the zip access on the stretch panel and the bladder hanger really sold me on the 2017 upgrades

ElkNut1

WKR
My main point was you cannot go wrong with any of their gear/packs! No problem with upgrades, they only lead to good things! (grin) Their packs in all models have been awesome, wouldn't use anything else!

ElkNut1