2017 Rokslide Spring bear hunt... Wolf down!

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
The last couple years a few of us from Rokslide, Mtn Ops, and Longrangeonly have been getting together for a spring bear hunt in Idaho. Some of you may remember the incredible shot Broz made on his bear last year at 1702 yds while myself, Ryan, Billy, Kelly, and Casey all spotted. That was an incredible hunt where we saw a lot of bears and topped it off with a great group of guys to hunt and camp with.

This year we had a few more hardcore hunters join us for the trip and we had another amazing time in the mountains. The bear hunting was extremely tough due to the heavy snows and late melt but we were determined to make the best of it and have a great time. We had a total of eleven people hunting hard for a full week and we only ended up seeing a few bears and never had shot opportunities.

We did however locate a pack of wolves and spent a couple days calling them to lure them into the open for shots. We were able to outsmart two wolves on two different days to do our part to control the wolf population. I'll let Ryan and Jeff tell each of their stories but here are a couple teaser photos for your viewing pleasure.

IMG_2440_zpsqpexxck0.jpg

IMG_4717_zpsdx60fifn.jpg

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
If Ryan and Jeff don't start posting, this place will riot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Between the two wall tents and two trailers we had a totally badass camp next to a creek.

IMG_2392_zpsbnowpuiv.jpg

Morning Ryan! HAHA

IMG_2393_zps0csqfegg.jpg

Billy eating the breakfast of champions.

IMG_2394_zpskzkvey5a.jpg

IMG_2379_zpsuuoyidhx.jpg

IMG_2377_zpszrqekb91.jpg

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Casey checking out Ryan's new 28 Nosler. It doubles as a chain saw sharpener.....

IMG_2378_zpspbmkeoxe.jpg

Billy and I know how to be comfortable for our long glassing sessions.

IMG_4864_zpsy5tejxjn.jpg

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Like I mentioned earlier, we had a few new faces at camp this year. I think Shane nailed it when we were talking by the fire and he said "it's rare to have this much hunting skill/knowledge in one camp".

IMG_2577_zps9fiqpgcr.jpg

Since the bear hunting was tough and we weren't seeing them on the usual grassy hillsides, a bunch of us burned a lot of boot leather walking grassy roads and into remote basins trying to make something happen. Jimmy "Slim Jim" was no exception and would get dropped off at a spot first thing in the morning and not return until dark. I'm not sure on the total number of miles he walked throughout the week but it was a lot. He found a pile of sheds during the trip and was the guy who got the ball rolling with the wolves when he had one walk right by him when he was eating lunch one of the days.

Here he is with a set of moose paddles he found.
IMG_2535_zpsopgsof47.jpg

Last edited:

Scottyboy

WKR
looks like a unbelievable time had by all! patiently waiting for more pics and stories behind the wolf/wolves :cool:

Mtnboy

WKR
Hell yeah! Congrats on the Wolves boys!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Broz

WKR
My version of this great hunt adventure is up now on LRO 2017 Spring Bear Extravaganza.

Enjoy.
Jeff

PS: When Long Range Only editor Billy George loads a large male wolf in his Kifaru pack, slings it on his back by himself, and then packs it 2.5 miles out to a road,and never stopped once, you know he is a badazz.

10_zps8blxuroy.jpg

11_zpsq9s9prxj.jpg

Pic Credits to Rokslide editor Justin Crossley. Thanks Justin

Last edited:

elkguide

WKR
My version of this great hunt adventure is up now on LRO 2017 Spring Bear Extravaganza.

Enjoy.
Jeff

PS: When Long Range Only editor Billy George loads a large male wolf in his Kifaru pack, slings it on his back by himself, and then packs it 2.5 miles out to a road,and never stopped once, you know he is a badazz.

10_zps8blxuroy.jpg

11_zpsq9s9prxj.jpg

Pic Credits to Rokslide editor Justin Crossley. Thanks Justin

Thanks for the great story.

Agross

WKR
Very, very cool! Congrats in the wolves ,and thanks for sharing. Wolf hunt is one of many on my wish list.