2018-19 Rokstaff Gear Lists

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Planning a 5-7 day spring bear hunt-maybe multiple trips of that length. Great info and insight here. I’m trying to decide how much camera equipment I want to carry and figure out a way to keep it handy/protected while hiking.

For keeping it handy/protected I use the peak design clip on my shoulder strap for the handy part. Then for protection I just wrap a jacket around it and put it in my pack, or lid if I’m using one. They have these handy little neoprene wraps for cameras too that adds some protection, but typically it just goes in my pack as is. I try to put it right on top so if I fall over backwards it’s not in the back to get crushed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
For keeping it handy/protected I use the peak design clip on my shoulder strap for the handy part. Then for protection I just wrap a jacket around it and put it in my pack, or lid if I’m using one. They have these handy little neoprene wraps for cameras too that adds some protection, but typically it just goes in my pack as is. I try to put it right on top so if I fall over backwards it’s not in the back to get crushed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I use the Peak Design clip as well and a neoprene wrap when I put my dslr in my pack.

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

one of my favorite types of content, along with hunt stories. Especially after months off being able to say “what am I forgetting in my kill kit?” And what not.. cool thread, thanks!

Quick question on game bags. Can you give a specific number of game bags you pack in for a solo elk hunt, as well as how many for a solo mule deer hunt? Trying to dial in my kill kit and don’t want to over pack game bags. Thanks

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Quick question on game bags. Can you give a specific number of game bags you pack in for a solo elk hunt, as well as how many for a solo mule deer hunt? Trying to dial in my kill kit and don’t want to over pack game bags. Thanks

I got by with 3 deboning the meat on my WY elk. I did a shoulder, neck meat, backstraps and inner loins with my day gear the first trip. A shoulder and rear quarter the second trip.. could have gone heavier. Then the last rear quarter plus some rib meat and head the last trip. That last trip was heavy. Kinda depends how you want to organize your meat plus how much weight you can or want to carry. I would say 3 for sure and 4 wouldn’t be much extra. You could do a deer deboned in 2.

With those I was using Caribou game bags, I believe from the wapiti pack. My kill kit is currently misplaced or I’d measure them.

cruzer17

FNG
@TonyTrietch

Tony, I've seen this mentioned in a couple of posts this past year.

"Platipus Gravity works 2L filter system (heavily modified for weight)"

Care to elaborate on your heavily modified setup? And thx for sharing your lists and ideas.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk