2018 Bear Success Thread

Runningwater

Kenia Wilderness. My buddy's bear, but I'm claiming an assist as the spotter, assistant packer, and the one with the meat in the freezer (except for the ham I have curing in my fridge...). About 20 miles in the Zodiac followed by a 7 mile pack up to treeline for camp.

Last edited:

Arctic_Beaver

I took this black bear over Memorial Day weekend hiking in on the Kenai Peninsula. I was about 8 miles back from the truck to where I killed him. I had stopped at a small creek surrounded by alders to fill up my nalgene. As soon as I was done and walked 20 ft back up to my pack and rifle, he walked down that creek that I was just standing at a minute later. I don’t think he noticed me, I let out a whistle to get him to turn broadside for a shot. Once he turned enough, I fired one shot from my .300 win mag. He took off crashing through the alders away from me and made it about 50 ft.

I spent the next 2 days shuttling him back to the truck, it took 3 loads to get everything out. He had a lot of fat on him for a spring bear! Measured 6’2” and skull was 18 7/16” I believe. Some cool battle scars on his face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk