2018 Idaho Unit 11-13-18 RMBS Phase Two/Part Three "Success"

These were what we were looking for. I have to give 110% credit to Jon Barker and Ted Day. I just kept up best I could and made the shot when it came time.
Upon arising very early and getting boots on, gear together, rifle & optics ready, Ted stayed high to keep a broad view of the canyon, and to hopefully video the stalk and the shot. Well, there were at least three rams in the 180 class and probably in the pre-dawn excitement "which ram was which" wasn't clear...and while you can hear the rifle shot and the ram careening off canyon walls, Ted has great video of two other rams that were very close to the size of the ram we shot. No problem there, as the experience and teamwork made the trip, and we have enough pics n vids to last a lifetime.
NHXRgkO.jpg

Day Three Phase Two-This is where he landed at the bottom of the canyon. We were on the opposite side and the last image I had was the ram "free-falling end over end in mid air, careening off the opposite sides of the canyon. Fortunately, just a little hide scuffed. As noted in earlier posts, the dominant ram was bedded quartering towards us, but I had enough of a broadside and good rest to feel comfortable with the shot. I shot right over the ram at 262 yards, and after he ran about 100 yards, stopped to try to decide what the loud noise was, the second shot at 238 yards went straight through the front shoulder, across the top of the heart, and we later found the perfectly mushroomed bullet inside the hide of the opposite shoulder.
9mwy7pP.jpg

Ted Day of Boise, ID with an old warrior. We estimate his weight 325-340lbs. This rear view shows the mass really well.
XRVriUl.jpg
Day Three, Phase Two-Hell's Canyon
9/30/18. Day Three "Phase Two". Unit 11 RMBS. Ted Day taking iPhone pic as JB takes a break, after the two-hour traverse down to the final resting place of such a regal animal.
VUqqfTD.jpg

WIth all the mental prep and physical training I achieved, "I'm just the guy who listens to his guide, gets his gear ready and stays up with Ted and Jon, and fortunately (I don't know what I did to shoot over on shot #1) made a quick, clean kill on shot #2. They get the credit...but I get to pay the taxidermy bill and the ram stays at my house!!!
PyrJoj7.jpg

Ted and I with "The Ram". 187 1/8 gross before the 60-day drying period. With as old as this ram is-between 11 and 13 years old-he shouldn't shrink much.

Last edited:
OP
Diddywahdiddy
Thanks for your comments! Per official scorer this week, after 60-day drying period...net B&C 186 1/8!
Thanks to all at Rokslide. When I get time, I may try to post pics/vids from Desert Ram hunt. Gross was 180 B&C three days after "Ram Down" but will have about 4-5" of deductions due to left horn defect, but it gives a unique look to the ram. 16" bases and 15 7/8 " 1st quarters-no kidding.
DWD