2018 Kenetrek Mountain Guide Boot Preview Featuirng New K-73 Outsole

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Did a little over two miles with a 30# pack today and the boots were very comfortable.

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

Lawnboi

WKR
Justin have you run the mountain extremes?

I'm curious about the new sole. I'm fairly certain, after a good handful of months with the mountain extremes, that I'm going to tear up the outsole in pretty short order.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Justin have you run the mountain extremes?

I'm curious about the new sole. I'm fairly certain, after a good handful of months with the mountain extremes, that I'm going to tear up the outsole in pretty short order.

I haven't. These are the first pair of Kenetrek boots I've tried.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
IMG_6363.jpg

I just got back from a backcountry trip and I'm very impressed with these boots. I hiked over 10 miles one of the days and 14 another without a single hot spot or blister. Kenetrek did a great job on the midsole and insole to create a very soft cushion with each step.

IMG_1806.jpg

The traction on wet rocks and steep side hills was very good. I also think the upper provides good ankle support.

Kenetrek-Drying.jpg

A quick scrub with a soft brush and they'll be ready for the next trip.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Another trip with the Kenetrek Mountain Guides and I'm still very happy with them. My buddy Casey and I were hunting elk from a base camp and hiking into a wilderness area every day.

Day one: Casey shot a bull at around noon about 3 miles from camp. After pictures and butchering, we loaded up the whole bull in our Kifaru packs and hauled it the first 3/4 of a mile to get most the uphill behind us. We then hung two of the quarters in the shade and continued the rest of the way to camp. It started raining when we had about a half mile to go and kept raining the rest of the evening. We decided we would stay dry and hunt up towards the meat in the morning and then haul it down mid-day.

01-Caseys-Bull.jpg

Day two: We hiked up into the area where Casey got his bull the day before but couldn't find any more elk. We hunted until mid-day and then headed back to grab the meat. After getting it hung with the rest of the meat at camp we cleaned up our gear and got everything ready for the evening hunt. We left camp around 5 pm and headed for a favorite glassing spot. I spotted a lone cow almost immediately and a few minutes late Casey spotted a small bull in the same area. It took a while for the bull to move into a clear shooting lane but he finally did at 465 yds and I made a good shot which killed the bull within just a couple steps.

01-Waterfall.jpg

We had to climb down a series of cliffs to get down to my bull and the Kenetrek outsoles gave me confidence as we descended. We made it down to the bull just before dark and had a late night getting him cut up and then packing a small load back to camp.

01-My-Bull.jpg

Day three: We unloaded our unneeded gear and headed out to pack the rest of my bull out. We found a trail the night before that led us from camp to within a few hundred yards of the meat so we decided to just load up the rest of my bull and head for camp. With two and a half days of hiking and packing elk, I never had any hot spots or issues with the boots. Very impressed so far.

01-Meat-Pole.jpg

Last edited:

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
image00021-Copy.jpg

Just got back from helping my friend on his mountain goat hunt. We hiked a lot of miles on steep trails and typical goat country. I was again impressed with the grip of these outsoles while walking on steep, wet rocks. The uppers provide very good ankle support while hiking with heavy loads. After a long pack out my legs were sore and my feet were toast but I didn't get any blisters.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Hey all I thought I should post up some updates on these boots while I'm taking a lunch break here in Idaho. I'm currently on the last leg of my three state hunting trip and have been using the Kenetreks the whole time. In North Dakota I hiked quite a bit through broken sage country and packed out a couple bucks. I was once again very pleased with he ankle support and the grip as I hiked.

d17057720c085ca2bd0e968da1b3726d.jpg

Kotaman

WKR
Thanks Justin...I think you've convinced me to try a pair. I'm going to hit their booth in Reno at the Sheep Show.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Justin...I think you've convinced me to try a pair. I'm going to hit their booth in Reno at the Sheep Show.
You should be happy with them.

A few of the Rokstaff will be at the sheep show so hopefully we can meet up with a bunch of you guys.

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

Kotaman

WKR
Does anyone know if there are different versions of these with the K73 sole? I put a pair in my cart on Midway with the K73 sole and they came up as "clearance" at a pretty good price. There were only a couple sizes listed as "clearance", the rest were at retail. They all looked identical in the pics and on Kene's website.

Nubuck vs. smooth leather maybe?

Last edited:

Steven C

FNG
The 2018 Mountain Guides are the only ones with the new sole I believe. The Extremes used the original sole. I used mine for 5 days in Idaho this year and they were awesome. The only thing I will warn you about is trying to drive my Polaris Ranger to help a older guy I met retrieve a deer. I couldn’t feel the pedals at all !!! Turned around and changed to my hikers. They’re made to hike not drive, should of know better.

Kotaman

WKR
The 2018 Mountain Guides are the only ones with the new sole I believe. The Extremes used the original sole. I used mine for 5 days in Idaho this year and they were awesome. The only thing I will warn you about is trying to drive my Polaris Ranger to help a older guy I met retrieve a deer. I couldn’t feel the pedals at all !!! Turned around and changed to my hikers. They’re made to hike not drive, should of know better.

The one's I ordered were '18's with the k73 sole. Maybe the clearance ones' were returns or something. I should have them in a couple days and know for sure. They were a GREAT deal though! Time will tell...

Kotaman

WKR
My boots came today. I believe these are just "returns" to Midway thus the heavy discount. They appeared to have been tried on and there's one little scuff on them. Well worth the huge discount. Jury is out for me just walking around the office. Boot appears to be VERY stiff. Stiffer than any of my Crispis or Lowas, almost like a ski boot stiff. Not sure if I will keep them or not.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Kotaman, since Ross started the break-in before I got my pair I think he may have spared me that initial stiffness. My pair has good support but I wouldn't compare it to a ski boot at all.

Kotaman

WKR
Kotaman, since Ross started the break-in before I got my pair I think he may have spared me that initial stiffness. My pair has good support but I wouldn't compare it to a ski boot at all.

They feel to me like it is a “new” stiffness for sure. I’m sure they’d loosen up over time. With that said, as awesome as these boots are, they are too much boot for me. Your review appears to be spot on, and this is one heck of a good boot.

Any new info on these boots? Looking hard at these or Crispis. Need to find a pair of the new Kenetreks locally here in Montana to try on. mtmuley
might not be a deal breaker but Kenetrek mountain extreme is has higher "water line" then some of the Crispis. Came in handy crossing a couple streams and staying dry.

Grsat to read this as I just bought Mg. Extremes and a pair of Desert Guide
I wear 13 in everything and the 12W is
What I needec in these.
Liking them so far!

Samee0621

FNG
I got the mountain extremes uninsulated and I think I went a half size too large but I tried them on in the half size down and I still had heel rub issues. I think it’s just the way my foot is built because I ALWAYS have footwear fit issues particularly with my heel. I get boots that fit the rest of my foot perfectly but they run on my heels. Really drives me ******* crazy. I haven’t had a good fitting pair of boots in my entire adult life.

The boots are very high quality though. They’re built like tanks and the waterproofing is legit. Great ankle support too

I wish Kenetrek made these (and more models) in the Narrow option. That sure helps me with the heel slip and keeps my foot from sliding around with too much volume in the front.