2018 Kenetrek Mountain Guide Boot Preview Featuirng New K-73 Outsole

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Got these new boots a week ago and have started breaking them in...have 12 miles in so far on local hikes and in the gym.

First impression, the sole is very stiff which for me is good! My model is uninsulated and I am only wearing one Smartwool sock. Boots run true to size. I wear a 9.5 and the fit was good. They are so comfortable I was going to wear them to bed but the wife said no :). Any questions fire away as I continue to break them in prior to my September hunt.

Kenetrek Mountain Guides-Kenetrek Boots

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Steven C

FNG
I also picked these up a few months ago. I actually pre ordered them. I was a little worried that they would be too stiff with nobody having tried them yet. I have found that they fit true to size. I run them with a darn tough full cushion sock. So far I’m really happy with them. I have had the hardscrabble for 10 years and think I’m covered. I haven’t run the mountain extremes to compare them to. I like a stiffer sole and these are perfect so far. What are your thoughts on no rubber rand to worry about? I kinda like it. They don’t seem too hot either. I quit trying to count miles. I put 25 or 30 on them and then 3 weeks of work. They’re ready to hunt. Don’t forget to wax em.

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pleasantly surprised not too hot as well and stiffer than the mountain extremes. Will post photo for comparison and no rand and something less to worry about works for me👍 Thanks for reminder on the wax

Steven C

FNG
Yes Mr Denning I will only use Kenetrek wax on them. I waxed my hardscrabble’s before season and after with their wax. 10 years old and 2 re-soles later, they’re still in good shape. I only use them for hunting, and a month or so at best per year. I’m sticking with what works for me. I also feel that the new K-73 sole has a lot more bite.

How’s the ankle support? I am coming off a bad injury last year to my left foot/leg and am thinking I might need a little more boot this year than I normally would to feel safe especially on the steep down hill with a loaded pack.

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have one ankle that is prone to rollovers. From my short use they appear to have more support than my mountain extremes and would say the support is good. The best boot I have worn to date specific to ankle support is my crispi nevadas. Those I have several years on and have rebuilt and can vouch on the support for someone with an ankle that is prone to rollovers.

I have one ankle that is prone to rollovers. From my short use they appear to have more support than my mountain extremes and would say the support is good. The best boot I have worn to date specific to ankle support is my crispi nevadas. Those I have several years on and have rebuilt and can vouch on the support for someone with an ankle that is prone to rollovers.

Thanks Ross, yeah I have a pair of the Crispi Nevadas too, so I will have to dust those off and give them a run. I have been working out in my L&S Mountain Extremes and they are good, I just jacked everything up wearing those boots last year so its probably mental.

MtnMuley

WKR
I just received a pair of the older model Desert Guides, and was pleasantly surprised as well how comfy they were out of the box. Put about 8 miles on them and they feel broken in to me. Curious what makes the new model guide boots different that the older ones and if they are truly better?

Crapshoot

WKR
New type of sole called K-73. They advertise the sole to have more bite but I actually like the older, harder sole myself. For the current sale price on STP, you can't go wrong.

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Yes Mr Denning I will only use Kenetrek wax on them. I waxed my hardscrabble’s before season and after with their wax. 10 years old and 2 re-soles later, they’re still in good shape. I only use them for hunting, and a month or so at best per year. I’m sticking with what works for me. I also feel that the new K-73 sole has a lot more bite.

Good to hear, I got my Hardscrabbles last year and really like them. I went with the Kenetrek Wax too.

How are the boots after a few months Ross? Thinking about ordering this exact pair, anything you may have done differently?

Got these new boots a week ago and have started breaking them in...have 12 miles in so far on local hikes and in the gym.

First impression, the sole is very stiff which for me is good! My model is uninsulated and I am only wearing one Smartwool sock. Boots run true to size. I wear a 9.5 and the fit was good. They are so comfortable I was going to wear them to bed but the wife said no :). Any questions fire away as I continue to break them in prior to my September hunt.

Kenetrek Mountain Guides-Kenetrek Boots

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Justin Crossley will be taking over this review as an unexpected turn of events may prevent any hunting on my end..Justin will have the boots this week and get further feedback on them. Thanks

mtmuley

WKR
Any new info on these boots? Looking hard at these or Crispis. Need to find a pair of the new Kenetreks locally here in Montana to try on. mtmuley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys,

I just got these in the mail a few days ago and am impressed. They seem to be a very well built boot. I am scouting for mountain goats this weekend and was tempted to wear them but I've only worn them around the house for one afternoon so far and need to break them in more prior to a long trip. I'll keep you guys posted as the season kicks off.

mtmuley

WKR
These boots seem to be new enough I can't find them locally, even here in Montana. Sure would like to try a pair on, as I am looking at these and a pair of Crispis. mtmuley

These boots seem to be new enough I can't find them locally, even here in Montana. Sure would like to try a pair on, as I am looking at these and a pair of Crispis. mtmuley

I know kenetrek has a foot sizing template on their website for these so you can get an accurate measurement

HankBC

Lil-Rokslider
I purchased the previous model when these came out for 40% off. They fit the same as my mountain extremes so far. Really happy with the start of them, but they don’t seem to vary too much from the other boots. The sole is stiffer no doubt, but not terribly so.

I measured my foot and went off their sizing template and had a perfect fit. I also removed the insoles (even though they’re actually fairly good) and inserted the super feet trail. They take up a bit more room and provide more support. Still finishing the break in period so things could change, but I imagine it’ll only get better from here.