2019 Alaska DIY Float Hunt

First off I want to say thank you to all the members on here who have posted info, opinions, stories, and anything else that I have read and accumulated important information over the past 2 years to make this trip possible.

Second this was a true DIY hunt, no drop camp through a transporter, no help from a planning service or outfitter, no guidance from any pilots, a true DIY from the start of all of this grand vision 2 years ago.

I won’t make the story or recap too long as I’m sure most just want the meat of the story and the lessons learned from my first DIY hunt of this magnitude in an amazing but incredibly harsh place.

2 weeks plus, 110 miles of river, one heck of a bull on day 5, and two others seen but weren't able to get on them quick enough.

64” wide 214” green score
473b1fe918ab2c90eb1b407d0e658016.jpg

9c49d8f9b9b35fb887373ed01a8ca163.jpg

67eb3c19d2e9e3e6fec4097b02a7eb28.jpeg
6f7749f6c047464b3a72271671c43eef.jpg

80b28b98aa3fc655e1ab502e663d2af1.jpeg

I feel beyond blessed to have been able to do this with my dad and brother all completely on our own, the 2 greatest hunting partners I will ever have.

Lessons learned:
1. Everyone needs to carry a collapsible/stowable personal wood saw along with a bone saw for the group. A hatchet is worth more than it’s weight to bring as well
2. Moose hunting is very boring and you can get distracted easily keeping you from being ready when the opportunity presents itself
3. Everyone says moose won’t move in the rain, this is true but that doesn’t mean don’t be out there hunting. Stay out there and tough it out. One of the days we had a break in the rain for about an hour and I raked for the first 20 min during that break and a bull showed up ready to fight 15 min later before the wind shifted and spooked him and then it started raining again.
4. Float hunting is WORK but I loved every minute of it and can honestly say I can never see doing a drop camp even if it’s a whole lot less work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

carter33

WKR
Congrats. Though float hunting is hard work I have found it to be the most enjoyable and rewarding method of hunting despite personally not being very successful at it. Were you in the southern brooks area? Hope that question is ok n not too specific.

Scottf270

WKR
Absolutely outstanding. Much respect to you for all your planning and hard work. Went this year with a transporter and a stationary camp and cannot imagine setting camp up several times and caring for the meat the entire trip.

Wow! Awesome bull! Congrats and thanks for sharing. This is a dream hunt I need to start planning.

JES

FNG
I was hopoing you posted here, I was following on TBH and was taking too long to post all the details for my impatient self!

What a fantastic bull for your dad, congrats to him!

Skuhzz

FNG
Congrats on your success! This is a dream of mine as well that I hope to fulfill one day!

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Way to go sir...very glad that it worked out for you guys. A trip of a lifetime for each of you!