2019 Alaska Moose Success!!

My father in law and I just finished up with our moose hunt in the Wrangell mountains with Wrangell Outfitters. We flew into Fairbanks on the 20th and were picked up and driven to Tok. From there we were flown into Horsfeld by 40 Mile Air. We got to the base camp and had a nice dinner and discussed our plans. I was surprised that we were the only hunters in camp and the only moose hunters for the entire season. He said that he only harvests 2-3 moose per year.

The next day, we rode horseback and hunted for the majority of the day to our tent camp. We spotted a mid 60’s bull less than 800 yards from our camp but when we made a move, his cows spooked and they ran a few miles. The next morning we glassed the majority of the morning and we spotted a big grizzly boar a few miles out and again we made a move. We finally make it close to where we spotted him but the wind was terrible and no way to go around. He gave us the slip and never saw him again. The next morning we rode four miles to another drainage and we spotted two bulls right off the bat. We made a move at the bigger of the two bulls and were able to get within 400 yards. The guide started calling and slowly but surely the bull started walking in our direction. He got to an open spot at 363 yards and I shot him with a 28 nosler shooting the 195 berger and the bull didn’t even flinch with the first three shots. He never took a step and finally fell after the 4th shot. The rest of the afternoon and following day was spent quartering the bull and getting it back to the tent camp.

After the first bull was taken care of, we started glassing and spotted another big bull three miles out. It was too late in the day to make a move so we got up early the next morning and rode down there. He was with three cows in the same exact spot. We got with 200 yard and my father made a great shot and dropped him before the made it down to the creek. We quartered him and left the meat there because it started getting late. The next morning we rode back to the main camp and the guides packer the meat, antlers and hide.

We had some bad weather that kept us socked in for a while but we had an amazing time. The outfitter was extremely accommodating and kept us well fed. I can’t say enough good things about Will Koehler and his team. They went above and beyond in every aspect and I definitely recommend him to anyone looking for a moose, dall or grizzly hunt.

Attachments

• 7CE8CEE3-0887-47D1-AF71-E8A0E2D1CFFA.jpeg
    7CE8CEE3-0887-47D1-AF71-E8A0E2D1CFFA.jpeg
    466.5 KB · Views: 412
  • 9AEF07A8-2FB6-40FB-A82E-18F768D10D00.jpeg
    9AEF07A8-2FB6-40FB-A82E-18F768D10D00.jpeg
    475.1 KB · Views: 412
  • EFF4349A-32E5-4DE3-B3E0-367D46B5351A.jpeg
    EFF4349A-32E5-4DE3-B3E0-367D46B5351A.jpeg
    512.8 KB · Views: 407

Josey D

FNG
Good job, I would be interested in hearing a little more about what you found when cleaning yours. How much damage was done by the first three shots ?

VernAK

WKR
Very nice bulls!

The Kohlers are very conscientious folks that do it right. They manage their hunting concession carefully and resist the temptations of over harvesting.

Two awesome bulls!! May I ask how much you paid for the hunt and would you recommend your guide

Truaxdw

Lil-Rokslider
Congratulations, my dad and I just got done hunting moose together in British Columbia. I’m sure you guys made awesome memories. Great moose!

Wow great bulls, congrats! Sounds like an amazing trip was had!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk