2019 Alaska Spring Black Bear hunt on Prince of Wales Island

Knowing this island and having hunted the area before we scouted where we thought the bears might be. Soft grass is the key feed in this area and it had grown to a decent height. We found some good sign and even a bed where a medium sized bear had spent some time. The bed was no longer being used so I figured a larger bear was using the area and ran that bear off. The weather was getting warm and we wanted the area the area to rest after we disturbed it. Two days later we came back for an evening hunt. Slowly working in to an area where we could see much of the grass flat we spotted a bear in the deep grass. At first I could only see half of the bear and thought it was a small one. We worked closer anyway and soon saw the entire bear and he was good sized, with a big head. We were already within 40 yards by that point in an elevated position. The bear was feeding in tall grass in a gully below us. As I got my bow ready for a shot the bear disappeared underneath a large fir tree. It's amazing how such a big animal can disappear.... I range all the directions he could possibly come out in case he moves away. I see a branch on the tree move revealing his location. I motion to my buddy where he is and get ready. As the bear steps out from under the tree all I can see is black. I see his head but the rest is a pile of black fir. Hesitating to draw I wait until I can see his entire body to help isolate his vitals. I draw as I see his front leg step forward. I take a moment, settle in, and release the arrow. The shot looks perfect! The bear bolts forward. We follow the sound of him crashing through the woods. In a matter of seconds he lets out a growl/moan that sounds more like a pterodactyl than a bear. I step back and take a breathe knowing he is done. We sit down to give the bear time but it seems more to give me a moment to reflect. We recap the shot as we take it all in. After waiting 15 mins or so we look for the arrow. The glowing nock is easy to see in the grass. The heavy arrow passed through without hesitation. We continue following the path of the bear. Sidehilling where he busted through the trees. Within 25 yards I see the bear. I approach slowly because they are big animals, with teeth! I watch and see no movement or breathing, he is done. The bear has beautiful fur and a big head. He is a mature boar, just what I was hoping to get. We celebrate for a moment then get to work. 20 1/4" skull and just under 7 ft. A great hunt for a great bear. Even better was to have my friends with me to see it all go down. My buddy also got a great bear two days earlier. It was a great trip.

I will be doing a podcast about the trip soon.
Live to Hunt and Fish Podcast

Attachments

• IMG_20190527_125202.jpg
    IMG_20190527_125202.jpg
    589.7 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

cmeyer733

FNG
Right on, nice bear!
I hunted POW also this spring, with no such luck though. Saw 3 bears in 6 days, managed to get to 40 yards from a nice big bear before he busted me. Just too early I think, was snowing 2 days before we got there. Congrats!!

OP
str8t shootr
partner and i have spring tags but i dont think we will go this year-2021.
i had back surgery and i am just afraid it is too early for me to try packing anything,
I would go and make my buddy pack it out. Haha. While we were there last time my buddy's back was really bad. He could barely get out of the truck.
If you don't go make hopefully Alaska can push your tag to another year, or something.

rayporter

WKR
i hate to say it but he packed out my bear last year.
fTzE865.jpg