2019 Arizona live archery hunt

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
We’ve seen a couple more coues doe and 2 coatimundi. I can’t believe I’ve seen more coati on this trip than javelina. Weird

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
It’s been really windy today. Maybe all the critters are tucked away tight somewhere. Still glassing

HuntEmUp

FNG
I hope there's no recent post because you're busy hauling meat...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Sorry for not updating but we were hanging by the campfire bullchitting.We didn’t see anything today but coues does. It started out super windy and now it’s raining. It’s supposed to continue till tomorrow night so breaking down camp in the morning isn’t going to be fun. Weather on this trip wasn’t very good but that’s the way it goes sometimes. I really wish we could’ve made it more exciting with stalks and grip n grin photos but it wasn’t a good year for critters. There were also more people in the area than previous years so next year I be moving to a new area. Thanks to all who followed this thread. Billy will chime in I’m sure and give his point of view on his first experience hunting in AZ.

Fatcamp

WKR
Very nice. Sounds a lot like my archery hunting trips. Good thing I love going for walks in the wild places. :)

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
One of my favorites threads every year also. Can't wait to see how you evolve for the new start in December.

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Finally back and settled in. I guess I started getting adapted to the cold because my home feels hot at 72 degrees lol. The hunt might have been a tough one but hanging with Billy made it pretty fun. I see why Ryan invites him to bear camp year after year. #gooddude You’re more than welcome to come on any my future AZ hunts brother!
On this hunt I was looking for at least a 150”+ mule deer buck or any decent coues buck but just wasn’t able to locate any. Not to say that if that 3 point would of walked by me, I wouldn’t have shot it because I would but that’s not what I was looking for. In the next week or two I’m going to hunt another unit before the late season ends at the end of this month. Maybe I’ll be able to turn something up, we’ll see. As far as next year I’m already making plans to head further south closer to the border for coues and javelina. Hopefully you’ll follow along next year on a new adventure!!

I'm finially back as well and just putting some of my thoughts together as well. Got home just before midnight, sea-tac was terrible about getting my bags out, spent 45 minutes waiting on them. I can't thank Jimmy enough for letting me tag along on his adventure. Bowhunting is an entirely different game and I'm excited to go on another one. I've been completely happy with my equipment choices when used on my rifle hunting but some changes will be beneficial to bowhunting success. The first is having near silent access to my optics both binos and rf. Jimmy ran a kuiu bino harness crooked horn rf pouch. The next big obstacle was my release, my just dangled on cording. Having one that folds back would be an immeasurable advantage. It constantly was in the way or banging/clinking on stuff and once I ground in into some mud when I put my hand down. It locked up and I had to clean the heck out of it to work again. I am not a gloves guy but jimmy ran these giro camo bike gloves that I think I'm going to get. Super tight fitting and leather all 4th he way around, no mesh in the fingers. Although the kifaru slick bag saved my butt in temp rating as the week went on I discovered I should have gotten the wide version as I'm a side sleeper and need a little room to move around, it's not the bags fault as I should have ordered the right size. If you followed the thread the princess chair came up a bit haha. Well that too is getting put on the gear list. I probably wont use it as often as jimmy but when the situation calls for it, it's a game changer. I got by with my pillow bag but just barely. The truly most obvious thing though is you have to shoot your bow much more often than I do. Jimmy is a damned assassin with his set up and i had to really limit myself. finially though having top end gear really saved this hunt for me. I was not expecting 20-30 degree days and night or battling snow a majority or this trip. Without quality gear choices I would have been out of this hunt entirely and not a le to entertain jimmy as much as I had. I'll try and post new topics that I remember as they pop up and even post updates to what I changed to after my hunting adventures with Jimmy. The next hunt planned for me besides goose hunting will be the Rokslide Bear camp.

NV HUNTER

WKR
Well my desk was way more productive today!! I was not refreshing every 15 minutes to see what was going on. Thank you for the updates, I know at the end of the day you are tired and hungry. Few questions... I am really into sleep systems right now. What tent and why? Cot? Bag? Quilt? Pad? Thanks guys! Matt

Well my desk was way more productive today!! I was not refreshing every 15 minutes to see what was going on. Thank you for the updates, I know at the end of the day you are tired and hungry. Few questions... I am really into sleep systems right now. What tent and why? Cot? Bag? Quilt? Pad? Thanks guys! Matt
We weren't backpacking we were camped at a trailhead in a base camp. Jimmy had like a 7x12 popup tent with a mr. Heater. He had western mountaineering 30 deg down bag, I was running a synthetic kifaru 20 slick bag center zip. He runs down because its light and packs down small and he hunts Nevada and Arizona area where its traditionally dry. I run a synthetic because I hunt mainly in the pacific northwest where its wet. We both had copper spur ul1 tents and thermarest pads for spike camp if needed. I've tried bivy sacs and I just cant get comfy in them. So the ul1 gives me the space I need and a minimal footprint to ensure I can set it up anywhere.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk