2019 Arizona live archery hunt

Slim Jim

WKR
I can’t believe it’s been a year already since I’ve hunted in AZ! This year I’ll be joined by friend Billy (pyroducksx3) whom I met at the 2017 Rokslide bear camp. Unlike last year where I hunted for coues only, this year we’ll be looking for mule or coues deer and javalina! We’re heading down on Friday the 28th because I still have a 2018 deer tag that I can try an fill.Then on the 1st there will be a couple of deer tags and a javelina tag in our pockets which should make for a pretty fun hunt! The hunt will go on until Sunday the 6th because I have to be back to teach but that’ll give us almost 9 days of hunting. With good cell service in the unit we’ll be hunting, I’ll keep updates as current as possible. Hopefully Billy will interject with his point of view whenever possible. We are going to have a base camp and be hiking in to wilderness everyday to hunt. Last year there was a full moon with very warm and dry conditions so rut activity wasn’t very good. Right now the full moon is reducing and a cold front is moving in so hopefully it’ll be as good as the 2016 year I had there. I’ll post a gear list tomorrow before heading out on Friday morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Subscribed slim. Looking forward to what gear you'll be using. Will you be bringing the bow mounted decoy again,?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Yes and I’ll bring my elk decoy for Billy to attach to his bow if he wants to use it. Those decoys work well for the rut when there are multiple eyes all around

I loved the series last year. I was In AZ hunting same time, made my long sits glassing enjoyable. I will be back down there in Jan but a little later as I want to be there when the rut is more active.
Best wishes to you both out there.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I’m so here on this one. Show me some action. Cabin fever up here.

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Here is what my daily day food that goes into my pack looks like. I’m on a Keto diet so it probably seems a little weird. Approx. 1200 calories. Evening dinners will be approximately another 1200 calories. I’ll fill you in each night on what’s being cooked.

Parmesan crisps
Petite pickles
Kalamata olives
Smoked-oysters/kipper-snacks/smoked-salmon (different seafood each day)
Beef sticks
Mixed nuts - pecans/walnuts/pumpkin seeds/smoked almonds

4878d850e566b885f0d2fb3c10899a98.jpg

bbrown

WKR
Sweet! Always look forward to this one - good luck man! This will be a great way to kill some time before I head down from the 6-12th.

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
This year I’m shooting the Hoyt RX-3 @70lbs and a 29.5” draw. I absolutely love this bow. Great anchors, easy tune, smooth draw, and well balanced. I took this to the range last week to dial in broadheads and the heads I’ll be using were spot on with my field points! The arrows I use are Easton 330 carbon injexions with a 125 grain Kudupoint broadhead and 6 fletched totaling 460 grains. Today was my last short range shooting day before heading out. Tomorrow I’ll get one more long range day. I try and shoot around a 1000 arrows a month all year long (except when I’m hunting)
d423e1274fe5566ebfaed450494430c9.jpg

22d7b343b3a5c6a047155ac22fcafc33.jpg

9590933ea5bb398c519104b9ea552006.jpg

fe64da8378694a3241a374283b19ad2e.jpg

I always end my sessions with a well placed arrow and good release (break at the shot)

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Just finished up my last workout before the hunt.
Ran a 5K and an hour of weights.
As soon as I get home I’ll put together my gear list and post it.

Just finished up my last workout before the hunt.
Ran a 5K and an hour of weights.
As soon as I get home I’ll put together my gear list and post it.

You are going to be so disappointed in my level of preparation. Just send me waypoints and I'll catch up

I hunted last Jan. 1st-5th with all new gear from X-Mas presents(Winter Gear).
First day out almost ended up with heat Prostration.Hunted this area for 10yrs,and
never saw it so hot!Used to frost in AM. and mid 60'sPM.No shorts/Tee shirts etc.
Totally unprepared...Be ready for anything.Good Luck to You and Billy!dirtclod Az.

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
I hunted last Jan. 1st-5th with all new gear from X-Mas presents(Winter Gear).
First day out almost ended up with heat Prostration.Hunted this area for 10yrs,and
never saw it so hot!Used to frost in AM. and mid 60'sPM.No shorts/Tee shirts etc.
Totally unprepared...Be ready for anything.Good Luck to You and Billy!dirtclod Az.

Thanks bud. I’ve been hunting this area for almost a decade now every year and last year was not usual. This cold front coming through has got me super pumped for this hunt! We’ll see