2019 Best Buck Mule Deer Hunt Photo Contest, sponsored by Kryptek

joelbiltz

WKR
It’s not the greatest picture I know. I will not win with this but I’m damn proud of this old heavy buck. DIY in Eastern Colorado. No one to help, no one to take pictures. Pictures were taken with a IPhoneX set up on my Kifaru pack and set with a timer.3C148FA9-F767-40D3-8BDF-9A0AEC4BB8FB.jpeg

Last edited:

Ladd

FNG
A 2019 Idaho double was what we dreamt about for months.
33346cf62cb58349245bbbee9f2df957.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phat Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
It’s not the greatest picture I know. I will not win with this but I’m damn proud of this old heavy buck. DIY in Eastern Colorado. No one to help, no one to take pictures. Pictures were taken with a IPhoneX set up on my Kifaru pack and set with a timer.
Nice buck man!!!

My disabled daughter with her 1st mule deer taken in WY on 10/21. She used a vacuum air actuator to fire the rifle; when she sucks on the tube, the vacuum is changed to an electronic signal which pulls the trigger on the trigger guard mount. One man aims, I help her with safety and vacuum tube, and she fires the rifle. The video of her getting ready to shoot, shooting, and excitement afterwards are over the top emotional. Super proud dad moment. Link to YouTube video is in Videography forum. View attachment 130594
Congrats!!! Very happy for her (and you, Dad!) to get to share such a special moment! Great job Tulsa!

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great image Travis. You should post up how you captured this image and a before and after of any post work you did so guys can see what it takes to make a great image.
Good idea,
I set the camera up on the tripod set a timer to take 10 pics in 5 seconds. This is the pic right after the one I posted before.
Minimal editing. Sony A7R2 ISO 100 14mm FL f5.0 1/80sec
I cropped the photo and tried toning down the blood. (there was blood everywhere and tried to clean up the area best I could before taking the photo). Added some contrast and a touch of vignetting. Thats it!!!

The biggest advice I can give is to take a little extra time to clear brush, remove blood, tuck the tongue in, and have the sun behind you. ( as you can tell, I didn't listen to my own advice on this photo). I was lucky to have great clouds to work with but with that came freezing our butts off along with the wind! I have another angle of the deer that is much much better but the background gives away the location. sorry fellas!

Attachments

• _DSC8537.jpg
    _DSC8537.jpg
    496.2 KB · Views: 216

aggieland

WKR
Great buck! My buddy passed on that buck last year with a 4 th rifle tag
c12102790bd1e89ea1462755adf28fd1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really can't wrap my head around how someone could pass on something like that? Can you give some details? In a trophy unit or he was onto something bigger, amazing animal and very impressive that he passed. Thanks for posting this pic.

ColoradoV

WKR
Aggie - I actually passed on him last year as well = the reason is I put him in the lower 190's last year. Sometime before he shed last year he broke off the sticker he has on his drivers side and the folks with his sheds said he went low 190's without the sticker so he was a mid 190's buck last year. The year before (2017) I have pics of him he was a 170's type buck. Only one other person knew where he summered and that guy ended up getting a great AZ tag so I had him to myself all season. I did have one buck that would have scored higher but having a buck of this caliber to archery hunt all year by yourself is special in this day in age......

The reason I passed on him last year was I was chasing a 32" wide typical that I believe would have gone over 200" with either close to or a 30" inside spread. He did not return this year rip big boy..

IMO if you want to get a real big bucks on a regular basis - you have to be ok with passing on 190" type bucks and be ok with the tag soup that comes with it. My 76 year old father and I held to that belief and just ate the best 4th season tag in Colorado less than a week ago.. The reason is we passed on a couple 190" bucks one close to if not over 200" but were going after a monster or bust. Have to say it was the best hunt of my life hands down and we did not fill the tag..

In the end for me I get more satisfaction to be able to hunt til last light on the last day then watch the last sunset than shoot a 190" buck.. Each person is different and we all measure success different but I honestly dont have to kill a small buck to find success in a hunt. The final reason to pass is that he put on about 12-15" and went from a nice 190's buck to a monster this year w 21 and 22' g2's, over 40" of mass, and a 32.5 outside spread. Again they cant get big if you kill them when they hit 190...

twall13

WKR
Again they cant get big if you kill them when they hit 190...

The difference is most guys consider a 190" buck to already be big. Most bucks wouldn't get to 190" even if they were allowed to die of old age. I respect your ability to pass on big bucks and hold out for a monster while just enjoying the experience as not many guys can do that, me included. Like you say, we all hunt for different reasons and I'll probably never kill a buck this big because of how I hunt but I do enjoy the meat and the experience.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk